MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://mustangforums.com/forum/off-topic-10/)
-   -   question about genuine ford parts (http://mustangforums.com/forum/off-topic/706752-question-about-genuine-ford-parts.html)

RazorGT 02-19-2014 06:59 PM

question about genuine ford parts
 
since this mustang i have is only 30k miles and so far everything is 100% FORD GENUINE besides the short antenna and sequential tail lights, i want to keep it genuine unless a known faulty part fails. Also I will only take it to the dealer for service.

However, some guy suckered me into buying Preston wiper fluid for sub zero weather and I got rid of all my genuine fluid :( does anyone know what the ford genuine wiper fluid is called?

Also it seems like my Motocraft battery is still stock, but its been running and working godly, (even though this winter i drove it) so if it ever needs replacing i will be sure to get another motorcraft battery.

otherwise...can't really think of anything else for now....on my last mustang I would get the autozone duralast parts but it was near 200k miles and i diddnt have a job and I bought the car used for like 3k, and it was a 98 v6, however it served me extremely well until i traded it in for this car. the interior and exterior were in perfect condition and everyone i showed wouldn't believe it had 180k miles.

Nuke 02-19-2014 07:09 PM

Be sure to wear your Motorcraft jeans and Motorcraft shoes when you sit on your Motorcraft seat and step on your Motorcraft carpet. What have you been doing for fuel? I don't recall ever seeing Motorcraft gas pumps.


Really?

RazorGT 02-19-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 8351544)
Be sure to wear your Motorcraft jeans and Motorcraft shoes when you sit on your Motorcraft seat and step on your Motorcraft carpet. What have you been doing for fuel? I don't recall ever seeing Motorcraft gas pumps.


Really?

BP, says on my gas tank they recommend BP for fuel, but what about wiper fluid?

Xann27 02-19-2014 07:10 PM

well, some parts are "better" than genuine stock. but, "genuine stock" parts are made in a fasion that they will last an extremely long time. as far as wiper fluid goes, call up a ford dealer and ask what they use. more often than not, genuine ford parts go by the name "Motorcraft" altho ford has been known to use outside fluids as stock. like for my 14 GT, the oil is Mobile 1 synthetic blend. not motorcraft.

As far as the battery goes, the batteries made by ford are probably going to be pricy. and not give you as good of performance as, say, an Optima battery. Check out optima's website for applications you would feel most comfortable with. cold weather, warm weather, crazy car stereo, they make only batteries and specialize in it. i'd swear by Optima. but again, keeping it all genuine and stock, its a good feeling knowing your value is justified by piece of mind.

Nuke 02-19-2014 07:11 PM

I'm sure Ford uses whatever they can get the cheapest for wiper fluid. I'm pretty sure you won't void your warranty if you buy the wiper fluid at WalMart.

Nuke 02-19-2014 07:13 PM

I'll let you know if I find Motorcraft air to top off your tires...

RazorGT 02-19-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xann27 (Post 8351546)
well, some parts are "better" than genuine stock. but, "genuine stock" parts are made in a fasion that they will last an extremely long time. as far as wiper fluid goes, call up a ford dealer and ask what they use. more often than not, genuine ford parts go by the name "Motorcraft" altho ford has been known to use outside fluids as stock. like for my 14 GT, the oil is Mobile 1 synthetic blend. not motorcraft.

As far as the battery goes, the batteries made by ford are probably going to be pricy. and not give you as good of performance as, say, an Optima battery. Check out optima's website for applications you would feel most comfortable with. cold weather, warm weather, crazy car stereo, they make only batteries and specialize in it. i'd swear by Optima. but again, keeping it all genuine and stock, its a good feeling knowing your value is justified by piece of mind.

alright thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 8351548)
I'll let you know if I find Motorcraft air to top off your tires...

lol thanks man

RazorGT 02-19-2014 07:21 PM

actually ya i heard many people say that BOSCH makes really great products that are many times better than OEM and cheaper too.

Csrt4to5.0gt 02-19-2014 07:25 PM

I only use motorcraft air-fresheners in my '13 Ford Motorcraftstang.

Goldenpony 02-19-2014 07:40 PM

I have never used anything but genuine Ford blinker fluid. My blinkers have never had a problem.

SpartaPerformance 02-19-2014 07:47 PM

I have an even better monkey wrench to throw in. Have you been buying Ford Genuine or Ford Motorcraft?

99GTvert 02-19-2014 07:59 PM

There are a lot of things on your car that the generics or regular other brands make just fine as replacement parts or items especially maintenance crap. I think the OEM headlight brand for example is Sylvania. Most vehicles are like that.

Weather Man 02-19-2014 08:21 PM

Sham Wow!

Xann27 02-19-2014 09:03 PM

Isnt it nice that people here are being tools about this? I keep a binder for ALL ford work done on my car. oil changes done at ford dealerships, (even tho I enjoy changing oil myself) repair work done AT ford collision centers from a rear ending done to me 3 months after buying the car, motor craft air filters, all records. so when (IF) I go to sell it, i can hand over ALL ford documents to the new owner, as proof I kept the car as best I could. Being classy and responsible with a vehicle shows alot. And keeps better value.

Art161 02-19-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xann27 (Post 8351546)

As far as the battery goes, the batteries made by ford are probably going to be pricy. and not give you as good of performance as, say, an Optima battery. Check out optima's website for applications you would feel most comfortable with. cold weather, warm weather, crazy car stereo, they make only batteries and specialize in it. i'd swear by Optima. but again, keeping it all genuine and stock, its a good feeling knowing your value is justified by piece of mind.

Ford's Motorcraft batteries and Optima batteries are both manufactured by Johnson Controls (Johnson Controls owns Optima), and the Motorcraft battery with the 36 month free replacement warranty sells for $119.95. I consider that a reasonable price. If you're on the road and your battery goes bad, I think you will find it easier to find a Ford dealer than an Optima dealer who will honor the warranty. Optima states that some retailers may not honor the warranty if you did not purchase the battery from that retailer. Just make sure you have the purchase invoice, whichever battery you choose.

Xann27 02-20-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art161 (Post 8351681)
Ford's Motorcraft batteries and Optima batteries are both manufactured by Johnson Controls (Johnson Controls owns Optima), and the Motorcraft battery with the 36 month free replacement warranty sells for $119.95. I consider that a reasonable price. If you're on the road and your battery goes bad, I think you will find it easier to find a Ford dealer than an Optima dealer who will honor the warranty. Optima states that some retailers may not honor the warranty if you did not purchase the battery from that retailer. Just make sure you have the purchase invoice, whichever battery you choose.

So, an Optima Red top battery is the same as a motorcraft battery?

Nuke 02-20-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xann27 (Post 8352010)
So, an Optima Red top battery is the same as a motorcraft battery?

What?!?!?! NO!

jz78817 02-20-2014 06:55 PM

Washer fluid? C'mon, man. All regular washer fluid is a blend of methanol and water with a little blue dye mixed in. It doesn't matter if it's Motorcraft or not. A part being christened "Motorcraft" doesn't necessarily mean Ford made it; on the other hand it's a bit of a warm fuzzy that it meets Ford specs and probably comes from the same supplier(s) as the factory part. As an example, a " Motorcraft" oil filter is most likely made by Purolator or Wix (and these days, most likely in China,) who sell the same damn filter under a dozen other brand names.

2k232 02-20-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz78817 (Post 8352044)
Washer fluid? C'mon, man. All regular washer fluid is a blend of methanol and water with a little blue dye mixed in. It doesn't matter if it's Motorcraft or not. A part being christened "Motorcraft" doesn't necessarily mean Ford made it; on the other hand it's a bit of a warm fuzzy that it meets Ford specs and probably comes from the same supplier(s) as the factory part. As an example, a " Motorcraft" oil filter is most likely made by Purolator or Wix, who sell the same damn filter under a dozen other brand names.

wellllll I dont think thats true about the oil filter/motorcraft oils....

maybe im wrong...but ive heard the motorcraft filter/oil is actually really good. (not as good as mobil 1 or royal purple)

jz78817 02-20-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k232 (Post 8352046)
wellllll I dont think thats true about the oil filter/motorcraft oils....

maybe im wrong...but ive heard the motorcraft filter/oil is actually really good. (not as good as mobil 1 or royal purple)

Ford doesn't make oil filters. They buy them. At least as recently as 2009, Motorcraft oil filters were sourced from Purolator.

Same for oil. Ford doesn't make oil. They specify a viscosity and API certification level, and anything which meets that is golden.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.