Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

what happens if a car gets totaled?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition
Default what happens if a car gets totaled?

i know that if a car is damaged beyond its value the insurance comapany totals it and gives you value for the car - but after that do they take your car? or can you take the money they give you and combine with the rest of your money to get it back on the road?

Also is it true that once a car is totaled or if a car is very old/high milage, they will not let you get full coverage?

btw which company do you go with? i currently have Liberty Mutual and they have been amazing as far as price (got 1k deductible, full coverage for cheaper tahn any other company would give me)

but I will be 25 in april and they gonna renew my policy in March so i will have to be stuck with same rate for another year, so thinking when I turn 25 I will go with another company for a year or so - which one do your recommend?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by RazorGT; 02-21-2014 at 04:27 PM.
RazorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Focus Coupe

I have full coverage on my focus, it has a salvage title.

If an insurance company totals your vehicle and gives you money for it, they own it and take it from you to sell at an insurance auction. You have the opportunity to take a smaller amount of money and keep the car.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: Mustang GT No Bailout Premium Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass View Post
I have full coverage on my focus, it has a salvage title.

If an insurance company totals your vehicle and gives you money for it, they own it and take it from you to sell at an insurance auction. You have the opportunity to take a smaller amount of money and keep the car.
right on thanks, I was just wondering - I've deicided to go with Esurance because I hear they are really awesome reviews and the site that lead me to choose liberty mutual has it as #2 (they got liberty mutual as #1 lol)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Vehicle: A Bicycle Built For Two

Ugh. "Full coverage" is a meaningless term. People like to say they have full coverage, but if you've ever actually done your homework when you buy insurance, you know why the term "full coverage" has no meaning. Insurance coverage is based on the limits of your policy, you can get minimum coverage allowed by your state up to any amount. There is no such thing as a "full coverage" policy, I'm guessing that term exists because of insurance salesmen and uneducated consumers.

I use esurance, at first because they were cheap and easy to deal with and I've never heard horror stories about them. I've kept them because they've had good customer service. But I've never been at fault in an accident so I've never been under pressure to have my insurance cover anything.

GO BEARS! I'm just here so I don't get fined...
redass02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible

When people say they have "full coverage" I'm guessing most of them mean they have comprehensive coverage so they are supposed to get at least blue book value out of their car if they are at fault in an accident.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbackford351 View Post
When people say they have "full coverage" I'm guessing most of them mean they have comprehensive coverage so they are supposed to get at least blue book value out of their car if they are at fault in an accident.
Yes, I'm sure they mean something. For example, I'm certain you meant something, but comprehensive coverage doesn't cover your car in an accident, fault or not.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
crysalis_01
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Terminator Cobra
foxhound_01 mustang_r6

1. A $1000 deductible is asinine.
2. "Full coverage" means comprehensive AND collision protection.
3. Arm
-Sold-'96 Mustang-3.8L V6
"Claire"
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
3. Arm

Fwiw, a $1000 deductible on my collision coverage has saved me far more than $1000 over the last 4-5 years. In fact, I wish I had chosen a higher deductible, because I'm not an idiot driver. In fact, the only reason I can think of to pay for collision coverage is because the world is full of idiot drivers and cell phones and proving fault is impossible in some cases.

What about property and injury limits? What do I need for limits to meet the insurance salesman's creative idea of "full coverage", since that's about half of my premium?

Poll

Last edited by redass02gt; 02-21-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Brunettes

Is OP 99gtvert?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
crysalis_01
3rd Gear Member

foxhound_01 mustang_r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT View Post
Is OP 99gtvert?
Aren't we all 99gtvert?
"Claire"
Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang GT Ingot Silver

http://www.allstate.com/tools-and-re...-coverage.aspx

What Is 'Full Coverage'?

People often talk about having their cars "fully insured." But for those who don't really know the ins and outs of auto insurance terminology, exactly what does that mean and what type of coverages should they consider?

While there are many auto insurance options you can choose, there's really no such thing as "full coverage" for your car.
A man croching down next to his car. He is filling out an auto claim.

The good news is that there are a lot of things you can do to make sure you have auto insurance that fits your needs and helps to protect you against a variety of perils that can cause losses. If you are conscientious and want to make sure you have all the types of coverage that are available, here is a list of several of the common auto coverages you may want to consider:

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage is typically included in all insurance policies, and it protects you from damage you cause to others or to property as a result of an accident for which you are at fault. Typically, the liability coverage in an auto insurance policy will contain three limits: the maximum payment for bodily injury per person, the maximum payable for bodily injury per accident and the maximum payable for property damage.

As you probably already know, if you're buying insurance, all states require some level of liability coverage. To find out what the auto insurance requirements are in your state, check out this comprehensive list of state coverage requirements.

Someone who is looking to obtain auto insurance coverage for their vehicle may want to go beyond the state requirements and buy a policy with higher liability limits. This may increase your premiums, but it will also give you greater coverage in the event of an accident.

Comprehensive and Collision Coverage

Collision coverage and comprehensive coverage are two optional types of coverage on your insurance policy, although if you are still paying off an auto loan or if you have a lease on your vehicle, your lien holder or financing company almost always requires these coverages.

Collision coverage typically pays for damage to your vehicle if it is involved in a collision with another vehicle or if it hits an object. It's different from liability coverage, which typically relates to damage to property belonging to another party involved in an accident you caused or bodily injury to another person.

VIDEO: What Is Full Coverage Auto Insurance?

Comprehensive coverage protects you against losses caused by covered perils not related to a collision. These perils often include storms and natural disasters, such as a hurricane or a tornado, vandalism, theft, falling objects, animal damage or a broken window, but you should check with your agent to make sure what is included in your specific policy.

If your goal is to pay as little out of pocket as possible in the event of a claim, then you may want to consider lowering your deductible. This will raise your insurance premiums, but you will have the peace of mind of knowing that you won't have to pay a high deductible to repair or replace your car in the event of a covered loss.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Another option is to take out uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you're in an accident and the other driver is deemed at fault, that driver's liability insurance will usually cover the damage to your car—unless that driver doesn't have car insurance. In that case, in some states, your collision coverage could pay for the damage to your car. If you don't live in one of those states, however, you may opt to get uninsured motorist coverage so that if you end up in a situation like this, it will pay for the damage to your vehicle.

Underinsured motorist coverage takes effect if the other driver has insurance, but its limits are not high enough to cover the damage to your vehicle or to cover injuries from the accident.

Medical Payments Coverage

Medical payments coverage is an optional coverage that offers protection in various scenarios, which may include an accident that happens when you are in your own vehicle, an accident that happens when you are in someone else's vehicle or an accident in which you are walking and are hit by a car. It can also cover any passengers in your vehicle or any family members who are driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident. Click here for information on what medical payments coverage typically covers.

One thing to take into consideration if you're buying medical payments coverage is the limit, which can vary. If you're looking to get the best coverage possible, you can get a higher limit—sometimes up to $100,000.

Personal Injury Protection

Depending on the state, Personal Injury Protection coverage can help to cover medical expenses resulting from a covered loss, and in some cases, it can also help you pay for other expenses while you're healing. These expenses can include child care services, income continuation, loss of services and even funeral expenses.

As with medical payments coverage, if you're looking to be as covered as possible, you should consider getting Personal Injury Protection with a higher limit.

Rental Reimbursement

You may not know this, but Rental Car Reimbursement is not automatically included in most insurance policies. Rental reimbursement coverage can reimburse you for the cost of renting a car while yours is being repaired, under certain limits. You should check with your agent if you're interested in this coverage.

Other Coverages:

Worried about what would happen if you get stranded on the road? You may want to consider Towing and Labor Costs coverage, which can help reimburse you for towing and other basic expenses from roadside assistance.

Another optional coverage is Sound System coverage. This may be an option you want to consider if you have installed a high-end sound system into your car.

So, now you know that you can choose from a variety of options when buying your auto insurance policy to make sure that you have good coverage in the event that you need to make a claim

Sold -2006 Pony Mustang Auto 14.730 1/4 92.43mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhQ4O7Mj0Ls
heslekrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
drhoward
Dr. Integrity

Vehicle: 1994 Mustang Super Special Hooker Edition GT

60 percent of the time my insurance works all the time
drhoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '88 GT

Quote:
3. Arm

I've had a $1500 deductible for almost the last 20 years. I've never hit anything. I assure you that it has saved me thousands. I figured when I do hit something, I'm so money ahead, that I'll happily write the check for $1500.

Well, not happily, but I'll know that I'm money ahead.

RIP Tripsevn7
RIP ABRoller
Sidewayz6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
crysalis_01
3rd Gear Member

foxhound_01 mustang_r6

I have now and have always had a $250 deductible. I've found that in the end saving $20/mon by taking a $1000+ deductible doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Ive only ever had to use my insurance a few times. A couple hit and runs to my cars over the years. Parting with a couple hundred dollars doesnt really bother me like having to drop a grand or more would. Especially when the damages done were rarely over $1500. Whats the point of having insurance that you pay for every month when it comes time to use it you pay the lion's share out of your own pocket anyway?
"Claire"
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Shelty429
Send a message via AIM to Shelty

Quote:
Aren't we all 99gtvert?
for we are 99gtvert and we are many!

Click the image to open in full size.

1966 Chevy Bel Air wagon. 700r4, hedman hedders, and other stuff

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.-company car with 1/4 million miles on the clock

'91 5.0 5-speed-- sold :-(
Shelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Brunettes

lol45
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Quote:
I have now and have always had a $250 deductible. I've found that in the end saving $20/mon by taking a $1000+ deductible doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Ive only ever had to use my insurance a few times. A couple hit and runs to my cars over the years. Parting with a couple hundred dollars doesnt really bother me like having to drop a grand or more would. Especially when the damages done were rarely over $1500. Whats the point of having insurance that you pay for every month when it comes time to use it you pay the lion's share out of your own pocket anyway?
I suggest you drive more defensively if you're getting in accidents often enough that the low deductible makes so much sense. Seems weird to me, but I suppose Wyoming could be full of old people and teenage girls driving on ice. Sounds like you view insurance as a utility because your car is always getting ****ed up. I view insurance almost as a tax that I don't want to pay but have to.
I've never made a claim on my own insurance because it's been someone else at fault every time. For my policy, the difference in having a $200 (no $250 available) deductible and a $1000 deductible is paid for after only a couple years of not filing claims. Add that to the value of having the money in my pocket instead of the insurance company's for those couple of years (could be decades) and it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by redass02gt; 02-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement