Search



Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Closed Thread
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default Rest in Peace. Sunday Was a Bad Day.

On my way home from work I sped up to get through a yellow, hit a bump going down an Austin road and my car raised up and began to drift. I kept the car in drift for about 50-100 yards until what I assumed happened was the wheels caught traction while I was facing a power station. I don't remember how fast I hit it, but I landed about 10 feet away from the transformer, saving my life.

What it didn't save was my car, or my face. I will spare the pictures as of now, but she's totaled. As for me I have a broken nose and 26 stitches in my forehead because my frontal airbag didn't deploy. Luckily I was stone sober so I'm in no legal trouble, but at that moment I really could have used a drink.

I may not get another Mustang, not only had my airbag not deployed in a serious wreck but the same thing happened to my friend's. I think insurance is gonna pull through, they told me that if I have any documentation on aftermarket parts on the car that they could raise the value, which I have all of; but that's down the road.

Even though my face looks completely ****ed right now I'm just thinking about never being able to drive my car again, and that's agonizing. Word of advice, as if y'all didn't already know: be careful because **** happens, no matter how good of a driver you are.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

 
JayBeStangs94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2013 v6 Performance Package
Location: California
Posts: 752
Skatched
Default

Damn man sorry to hear that. My previous stang was totaled, hit by a drunk driver. You'll definitely luck out through insurance and will be receiving something a little better in the future. Just glad you're okay, sounds gnarly. As for your face, chicks dig scars
__________________


2013 v6 Performance Package
Airraid CAI 91 Tune
Roush Axlebacks
ST Coilovers
Exterior Mods
JayBeStangs94 is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

 
kevinmalec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 3,633
Default

Man, that sucks bro! Sorry to hear this happened and wishing you a speedy recovery.
You must have been going pretty fast to drift half or almost a full length of a football field?
Hopefully, your insurance company will take good care of you.
Good luck!
__________________


- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
On my way home from work I sped up to get through a yellow, hit a bump going down an Austin road and my car raised up and began to drift. I kept the car in drift for about 50-100 yards until what I assumed happened was the wheels caught traction while I was facing a power station. I don't remember how fast I hit it, but I landed about 10 feet away from the transformer, saving my life.

What it didn't save was my car, or my face. I will spare the pictures as of now, but she's totaled. As for me I have a broken nose and 26 stitches in my forehead because my frontal airbag didn't deploy. Luckily I was stone sober so I'm in no legal trouble, but at that moment I really could have used a drink.

I may not get another Mustang, not only had my airbag not deployed in a serious wreck but the same thing happened to my friend's. I think insurance is gonna pull through, they told me that if I have any documentation on aftermarket parts on the car that they could raise the value, which I have all of; but that's down the road.

Even though my face looks completely ****ed right now I'm just thinking about never being able to drive my car again, and that's agonizing. Word of advice, as if y'all didn't already know: be careful because **** happens, no matter how good of a driver you are.
Glad you survived and didn't take anyone else out with you. "drift for about 50-100 yards" you must've been hauling serious **** to have a little bump make you lose traction like that....

Best hope insurance doesn't decide to do a full investigation otherwise you may be walking for a while.

As for the air bag can't say. If it hit on the bumper first it should've triggered it. YOU landed 10 ft away? No seatbelt?
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default

The road was going downhill, and I fought the car from spinning, that's how it went for so long. Honestly, I don't know how fast I was going. I was going 45 when the light changed then I dropped gears and accelerated through it. It's pretty blurry after that.

I was wearing my seatbelt. It was my car itself that landed in a power station, just luckily not right by the live equipment (in hindsight, power companies should move their equipment AWAY from curves in the road)

. It was most definitely a frontal impact, the hood of my car is half the size it was. My side airbag deployed but that did me absolutely no good. If my front one had deployed I'd probably be at work right now instead of being on the couch popping pills all day. It was pretty bad, my forehead was hanging over my eyebrows...
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

 
JIM5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,343
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
On my way home from work I sped up to get through a yellow, hit a bump going down an Austin road and my car raised up and began to drift. I kept the car in drift for about 50-100 yards until what I assumed happened was the wheels caught traction while I was facing a power station. I don't remember how fast I hit it, but I landed about 10 feet away from the transformer, saving my life.
I frequent Austin on a regular bases. My work takes me up and down I-35 all the time from as far down as San Antonio to as far up as the DFW metroplex.

What road were you on? I heard that 2222 is a killer, literally. I've head that people die on that road all the time.


Good to hear you came out with only a some stitches and scratches, even though your airbags id not deploy when they should have.
__________________

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM5.0 View Post
I frequent Austin on a regular bases. My work takes me up and down I-35 all the time from as far down as San Antonio to as far up as the DFW metroplex.

What road were you on? I heard that 2222 is a killer, literally. I've head that people die on that road all the time.


Good to hear you came out with only a some stitches and scratches, even though your airbags id not deploy when they should have.
2222 is a nice road, but yeah I could see how it would be dangerous. it was (ironically) on Slaughter, not far at all from my house. They're doing some road work out there so there's a lot of pavement changes.
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
blchandl2

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: '14 V6 Premium Convertible
Location: TX
Posts: 10
Default

Glad to hear you are relatively OK. Could have been worse, but would have been nice for it to be less.

Having worked on air bag systems, I have to ask what makes you think the airbag should deployed? They are calibrated to deploy at a set 'G' level in a specific axis. To make a claim that it didn't deploy when it should have, the data can be recovered to see what 'G' level was detected by the system. The side bag went off so it sounds like the deceleration was from the side, not the front.

Anyway, I hope the insurance company comes through for you and you mend quickly and completely.
blchandl2 is offline  
Old 09-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
Glad to hear you are relatively OK. Could have been worse, but would have been nice for it to be less.

Having worked on air bag systems, I have to ask what makes you think the airbag should deployed? They are calibrated to deploy at a set 'G' level in a specific axis. To make a claim that it didn't deploy when it should have, the data can be recovered to see what 'G' level was detected by the system. The side bag went off so it sounds like the deceleration was from the side, not the front.

Anyway, I hope the insurance company comes through for you and you mend quickly and completely.
When I get the pictures recovered, you'll know why I think it should have deployed. There was almost no side impact, it was all from the front of the car. For me to have been wearing my seatbelt and still get my face torn apart by the steering wheel, I'm absolutely positive if it had been deployed it would have spared me.
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
808muscle
5th Gear Member
 
808muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Maui
Posts: 4,499
Default

Really sorry to hear about this. You had a really nice ride. Glad your injuries were not worse. Drifting downhill, that is the worst. Hope you feel better soon.
__________________


06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph
808muscle is offline  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup