Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Trouble with the neighbor

Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT
Default Trouble with the neighbor

Whoaaaa it's been a long time since I've posted here! I know this isn't considered 'tech' but I remember reading a lot about this in this area and know some people that stick to mostly this area and I'm really seeking their advice here but if it must be moved to a different area, then so be it.

Last time I posted here I owned a 2005 v6. I've since upgraded to a 2007 GT and within 4 months of owning it had the motor on the floor in my garage. I had no clue what I was doing and made many mistakes but 8 months later I had a HCI 3 valve making 383 RWHP NA (that's a very, very quick summary as to not stray too far from the main topic).

I rarely take me car to work as I don't trust my coworkers to not fling their car door into my car. I almost always have errands to run when I get home from work (3:30 p.m.) so I instantly get my car out of the garage pull it down my driveway and let it warm up while I go inside and change, freshen up, etc.. Sometimes My car usually runs for 15 minutes, sometimes longer (never longer than 25 minutes).

To get to the main point... My neighbor who hated me before I even had my car running called the cops on me one day for "disturbing the peace" by letting my car idle in the driveway. The cops gave me a warning ticket for disturbing the peace and told me, to try and keep the peace, to only let it run for about 5 minutes a day. Well, I tried to follow that advice but I would still occasionally let it run for 15 minutes due to it not being warmed up yet or I just wasn't ready to leave yet. Well, the cops got called again and the cop, armed with a decibel reader, was in their building (it's a business) when I got home that afternoon and backing into my driveway read a whopping 79 decibels (peak). The cop told my neighbor, based on what he saw and heard that he could not give me a ticket because I simply was doing nothing wrong. He told her the only thing she could do was to file civil charges against me. Well, that's what she did.

The charges consist of 1. Inadequate mufflers on a motor vehicle 2. Disturbing the Peace. I was told (by the cop serving the paper, also a friend of mine) that basically they don't think they can make disturbing the peace stick so they're trying to get me with the lesser ( Count #1).

I don't believe I can be charged with inadequate mufflers of a motor vehicle for 2 main reasons. 1. The car does have mufflers (borla stingers) and the law says it has to have a muffler in working order. 2. The car wasn't on public road when they filed these charges and this law only applies to vehicles on a public roadway. So in my mind, I'm innocent of count #1 and they don't believe they have enough evidence for count #2 to stick.

I've talked to an attorney and his goal is to present our evidence to the city prosecutor and aim for all charges being dropped. I still wanted to pick all of your minds as this is the first time I'm dealing with something like this and I know I've read similar stories on here before so if I still have anyone reading I'd love some advice! Thanks for reading my gibberish!

Videos of the car idling are on Page 3.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by BrandonsBlueStang; 01-06-2015 at 08:53 PM.
BrandonsBlueStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

Is a quieter exhaust out of the question?

Also do you really have to let it idle for that long before you drive it for errands?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

I love the way the car sounds as is and it's not that loud. On the rare occasion that I do take it to work I start it at 6:25 a.m. and don't leave until 6:40 a.m. and have never had a complaint during those times from my other neighbors who actually live by me. I don't consider 15 minutes to be too long to let it warm up especially since it's gotten cold out. After 15 minutes it's barely moved the temp gauge. The times I've let it go for longer I've simply gotten busy doing something inside and it was unnecessary for the 25 minutes I let it go (I had just got my new iPhone in and was playing with it lol)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Brunettes

lol, some people are just huge vaginas. I have a really hard time believing customers were complaining about it, unless it's a library.

Sounds like the lady is one of those nice liberal types that likes to get offended about everything and blow it all out of proportion (insert video of prius lady verbally attacking powerstroke owner here)

Those charges should be dropped without issue IMO.

After they're dropped, unbolt the mid pipe and run open headers for 15 minutes and then pull the car in before the cops arrive... you know, just for the enjoyment.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #6
Art161
4th Gear Member

The dispute with the neighbor aside, Ford states the following, in answer to the question "How long should my car warm up on a cold day?"

"All it takes is a matter of seconds. 'The myth that you should let your car idle for five to 10 minutes before driving to protect the engine is completely false' says Brett Hinds, advanced engine design and development manager for Ford. Even at temperatures as low as -20 degrees, your gasoline engine has full lubrication and is ready to go within five seconds of ignition. For best warm-up and fuel economy, a vehicle should be driven as soon as it's ready, adds Hinds..."

The above appeared in the Winter 2010 issue of My Ford magazine.

Personally, I would wait longer than five seconds, but I don't think you need to warm it up by idling for as long as you do. The car warms up quicker when it is being driven. Just take it easy until your water temperature reaches normal.
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Quote:
I know this isn't considered 'tech'
It's Tteekkkkkkkkkk

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

07blackgt, that's exactly who I compare her to haha. It's not a library, it's a portrait studio. By customers complaining I picture she said something about it and a customer simply agreed. I've had a friend in there with his family while my car was running. While they were taking pictures he asked his brother if he could hear that noise (my car running). His brother said no what noise and my friend told him to listen closer then he heard it. That's how "loud" it is in there. He said it reminded him of an ac unit running in a house. Just common background noise, if he didn't know it was a car he probably wouldn't have even acknowledged there was any noise.

Good to know art. I've never looked into the subject much I just always though, especially after doing internal work, it was good on it to warm up for about 15 minutes before driving. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Jim haha, figured someone would quote that
Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014, Mustang, GT

Please keep us updated! I'd love to know how this works out!
-Mods:Window Tint, MMD Hood Struts, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace with GT Badging, Eibach Sportline Springs, SR Performance Short Throw Shifter, SVE Shift ****, Matte Black Fender Hashes, Matte Black 5.0 Emblems, FRPP GT500 Axle-back Exhaust minus resonators, Boss 302 Coil Covers, Boss 302 Wheels, AntennaX Antenna, Sound Tube Delete, Roush Front Splitter, FRPP TracKey
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Will do.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement