Teenager life advice LOL - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Teenager life advice LOL

Old 02-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
GHJA614
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT
Default Teenager life advice LOL

So I need some advice, and I'm hoping some of you older and wiser beings may be able to help lol. I'm a senior in high school and I coming up on my last season of lacrosse (If you dont know what lacrosse is, it's basically a mix between hockey and soccer on a football field). I've been the starting varsity goalie since my freshman year and we are coming off a big season last year. This all sounds great but there's a couple problems. For starters, I've always usually hung around the older guys and now that their gone, I really only have like 3 people left on the team that I actually hang with and would consider really good friends... well 2 of them quit for various reasons... Secondly, I just got a really really good job for only being 17 and picked up an 03 GT yesterday, so insurance is going to be a struggle as well as paying back a loan.. and mods if I dont work during lacrosse... Lastly, I'm going to college next year to study Mechanical Engineering which I need to start saving more money for. Financially I just dont see it being smart to play, and I dont think putting all this work into the season and not to have my friends around me would really lead to me not having fun.. plus I enjoy working on cars and going to shows more

Sorry for writing such and novel and props to you that read it all... I'm just really facing a hard decision right now and I want to know if any of you have been through a similar situation.. I really dont think ill regret not playing down the road but maybe I will... Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Shelby GT500

It's all about your personal priorities and which activity you value more. Since lacrosse won't be a scholarship ticket for you it's going to boil down to which one is more fun for you. Working is a pain, but the long term value is going to be good.

4.10s, Watts Link
okbfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
GHJA614
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbfd View Post
It's all about your personal priorities and which activity you value more. Since lacrosse won't be a scholarship ticket for you it's going to boil down to which one is more fun for you. Working is a pain, but the long term value is going to be good.
Exactly what I was thinking. Fortunately, I kind of enjoy working because I have a lot of buddies that work with me (Warehouse job) and we make it fun lol. Lacrosse goes late into June so past graduation and well into the summer when I could be working full time.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
drhoward
Dr. Integrity

Vehicle: 1994 Mustang Super Special Hooker Edition GT

If you're good enough you could make the nll and make the big money

(Joking a buddy of mine played in it and made like 30k a year)

Anyways ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by redass02gt View Post
even if I had *****, I wouldn't know what to do with them.
Pictures of my Deck!
drhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
GHJA614
2nd Gear Member

Ya definitely can definitely cant make a career out of it lol
Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to 72MachOne99GT Send a message via Yahoo to 72MachOne99GT

If you enjoy playing you should continue playing.

You've got 40 years to work after high school, and if things get tight the car is a luxury item you could definitely do without to save some cash.

My input.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 GT
Johnny-Goonhand
Send a message via Yahoo to kast1376

Sounds like buying the Gt may have been a bad choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Girl View Post
I like happy endings. Just saying.
LM1s, MGW, MM subframes and CC, H&R SS, Blues, Bassani Catted X, 13" brakes, 3.73 gears
kast1376 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Oxnard Montalvo
Boner Exspurt

Vehicle: 1968 Camaro SS

Play. Make new friends.
As 72 said, you've got the rest of your life to work.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #9
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Vehicle: Ford F150

I'm going to go against the grain and say quit Lacrosse, or at a minimum, reduce the numbers of days you play.

For one, you're about to go into college where it's much easier(for most people) to make friends. You'll have study groups, student activities, etc. Plenty of chances to create new friends that you could have for many years.

Next, think about your future and what three of those things will employers want to see. Jobs are getting harder and harder to find, think about that. Does your future boss want to see your degree? Yep. Does he want to see dedicated work history? You bet. Want to see you chased a ball around with a net? Not so much.

Also consider this, you're going to have a full load with college and work. Why make that worse by adding a 3rd responsibility? Lacrosse is time you could be studying, or earning more money by working....Not fun(but that's what being an adult is about.) This picture...It's true by the way.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 AM   #10
Mr. D
2nd Gear Member

My father died when I was in high school & my mother worked at low paid jobs in rest homes, so I had to work "full time" through most of college. With the Vietnam War going it took me from the age of 17 to about 23 to get my head out & decide that I needed to put all my energy into going to college, learning about the world & preparing to make a good living. I didn't want to be poor like my parents. I sold a cool '56 Chevy Convertible, bought a Volkswagen & did three years of college in two years. I became a teacher & had a second business for 25 years I used to build a savings. I've had just about everything I wanted in life. I retired at 60 with much more money than I need. It just took meeting a girl I loved, working at some "Chit jobs" & going through some time in the military to get my head out & decide to apply all my energy to finishing college & setting myself up for life. So what's my point in telling you my boring life story? (Smile) My point is that I would bet quite a lot that you already know exactly what you need to do, just as I did at your age. It just took me a while to put my head down & just do it! So, as the commercial says, "Just do it!" & don't look up until it's done!

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-02-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Mr. D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement