Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

OIL CHANGE INTERVAL

Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I was involved in oil sampling and analysis for years. Typical rule of thumb if you're not having your oil analyzed:

Dino: 3,000 miles or 6-8 months
Blend: 5,000-7,000 miles or 8-12 months
Full syn: 8,000-10,000+ miles or 1 year+

You can extend these frequencies by having your oil tested but IMO, testing is more hassle than it's worth. If I have to be under the car pulling a sample (which is a bit of a science in itself) I might as well reset the clock by changing the oil. Also, driving style (frequent short trips, racing, etc) will dictate modification to the rule-of-thumb.

I've owned 13 vehicles; 4 of which I sold with over 200,000 miles and 7 with well over 100,000 miles. The other 2, my Stang and my SUV, are fairly new. I've used dino and I've used full synthetic using the above "rule-of-thumb" and never had a vehicle that used oil or had any wear-related issues or problems. None. They all ran like a top.

Whether it's dino, blend or full synthetic, providing you perform oil changes at a frequency suited for that oil, they ALL PROVIDE AN EQUIVALENT AMOUNT OF PROTECTION, period.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 AM
GTCritter
1st Gear Member

i do 5K miles on all my vehicles with mobil 1 synthetic. if you really are concerned, i'd suggest getting a sample tested through blackstone. i've used them off and on for years. i don't do it every time but a couple times a year i'll send in a sample. there's a separate test they do if you want that will tell you the life in your oil at the time you changed it. they then will make recommendations on mileage between changes. oil today whether it's synthetic or not does not have to be changed every 3K. it's just a waste of oil and money.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by USMC1775
Part of the reason you change 3k OR 3 months is that the oils have certain detergents in them that break down after that kind of interval. One reason to do it often, as well as to eliminate gunk
Well I'd figure those detergents and additives only break down when their in use; being juggled around, pushed, slammed, squeezed and heated in the engine. When the engine isn't running it's basically a sealed environment, so those ingredients won't be stressed.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I do mine every 5k miles with mobil 1 5W20. When I pull it out its usually not too bad. For says 5k miles on the synthetic blend... I wouldnt do it with the blend really but its not that big of a deal. With it costing about 30 dollars to change my oil with Mobil 1 its not worth it for me to go over 5k because 5k is usually 6 months on my car.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTCritter
i do 5K miles on all my vehicles with mobil 1 synthetic. if you really are concerned, i'd suggest getting a sample tested through blackstone. i've used them off and on for years. i don't do it every time but a couple times a year i'll send in a sample. there's a separate test they do if you want that will tell you the life in your oil at the time you changed it. they then will make recommendations on mileage between changes. oil today whether it's synthetic or not does not have to be changed every 3K. it's just a waste of oil and money.
Funny you mention that, I just stretched my change to 7,500 with Mobile 1 and I'm sending it to Blackstone and having them do a TBN... I'm interested to see the results.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
DoH!

I have a case of Amsoil full synthetic for my 2004 GT it states 25,000 mile/one year oil changes (when used with amsoil EaO synthetic oil filters). I have mobil 1 synthetic in now but I will be switching to amsoil next oil change I will prob go 8000 miles or less between changes not 25000 though lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Around every 5000 miles I'll change my oil.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:31 AM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

I use petroleum-based oils and just go by the color of the oil. If the oil is pretty dark I'll change it. It's amazing how much carbon gets in there after only a few thousand miles considering how clear the oil started out being.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

I've had my oil changed at the dealer since I've bought it, but I'm going to start doing my own now. I just ordered some Amsoil 0W-20 and a FRPP high-performance oil filter. My car is only a weekend/sunny day driver, so I plan on changing it once a year (around this time).
Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 AM
DoH!

Originally Posted by OhioState87
I just ordered some Amsoil 0W-20 and a FRPP high-performance oil filter. My car is only a weekend/sunny day driver, so I plan on changing it once a year (around this time).
I bought the Amsoil EaO synthetic oil filter to go along with the 0W-20 oil the filters arent cheap around 16-17 dollars but its the only filter amsoil guarantees up to 25000 mile or yearly oil changes with. Even though I won't drive that many miles before changing mine because I only put about 5-6k miles per year on my stang so I will change mine yearly.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter at the time of oil change, up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OIL CHANGE INTERVAL