Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

I decided to cut open a Fl820s & a Amsoil eao11

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
to add to shady's 2nd post, the pleats dont look to be the same material. the amsoil is a much thicker pleat where the motorcraft is much more thin.

ive seen wix, ac delco & fram cut open and there were HUGE differences between them.

the fram looked like utter crap too

all were brand new never used
1st lesson my dad taught me about changing oil, in his words: "Don't bring home a %#*&^@ Fram filter. But that's what they'll try to sell you. Don't buy the s.o.b."

That was 16 years ago and I still won't buy a Fram and If I have someone else change the oil, that's the first thing I ask - what brand filter are you going to use? Followed by: What oil.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool I need Help!

O.K. Shady's got me started now.. I was telling him in a private post, that my ingrained habit is to baby my motors with frequent oil changes.. 3,000 miles and sometimes less. I never go over!

Not that good of a shade tree mechanic but I've been around Mechanics and Garages all my life in one way or another.. It's been ingrained in me.. If you want to get the life out of your motor.. This is the most important must thing to do...

I'm reading the stuff Shady sent me in regards to Amsoil and finding it real hard to want to break my ingrained habit of frequent oil changes..

So how many here actually live and breath these extended drain schedules that Amsoil is claiming??

I need convincing.. Almost like kicking a drug habit. It's an ingrained emotional thing with me... You must change your oil on a regular frequent schedule..

I'm going to need help kicking the habit!

Last edited by Dreamer1; 11-18-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Man, that's me too. 3000 miles and if it ever goes over I start waiting on lightning to hit me out of a blue sky. LOL

And that's habit. I actually thought you said 'rabbit' there for a minute. I thought - WOW that's harsh, kickin a bunny. :-P
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

So how does everybody feel about Mobil 1 synthetic w/ K&N filter (sometimes Mobil 1 filter)? I know most here are waving the Royal Purple or Amsoil flag, but I just can't bring myself to mail order an oil change, as those products are not readily available at any of the stores around here. I just wanna wake up Saturday morning and run to Autozone and get the stuff I need.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

^^^ thats a great combo, I agree with you about having to mail order your oil.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
So how does everybody feel about Mobil 1 synthetic w/ K&N filter (sometimes Mobil 1 filter)? I know most here are waving the Royal Purple or Amsoil flag, but I just can't bring myself to mail order an oil change, as those products are not readily available at any of the stores around here. I just wanna wake up Saturday morning and run to Autozone and get the stuff I need.
mail order? I go to the warehouse

there are a 13 in north america

and all of the local napa and carquest stores carry it, they may not always have the filter , but they can get it...

my next project will be to cut open a k&n oil filter,and a royal purple(if I can find one)
stay tuned

Last edited by ShadyNinja; 11-19-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreamer1

So how many here actually live and breath these extended drain schedules that Amsoil is claiming??
buddy of mine has a 2001 Ranger and we just had the engine pulled apart a couple weeks ago to fix the timing chain rattle (was a TSB)

in order to do that you gotta pull most of the top end apart. luckily only removing valve covers not the entire head.

hes been using amsoil for the engines entire life and for the last few years has been running the amsoil 25k mile oil.

he changes his oil once a year but checks the level every once in a while just to make sure its good to go.

there was absolutely zero sludge, burnt oil or anything when we popped the valve covers off.

we halfway expected to see some crap from having 100k miles but it looked like a 20k mile engine.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR

this is why keep enough oil & filters to do 1-2 oil changes on the cars in teh garage at all times.

that way theres no need to have to run to the store the day of. i already have them and can just bust it out in the 15-20 minutes it takes and be on my way.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
buddy of mine has a 2001 Ranger and we just had the engine pulled apart a couple weeks ago to fix the timing chain rattle (was a TSB)

in order to do that you gotta pull most of the top end apart. luckily only removing valve covers not the entire head.

hes been using amsoil for the engines entire life and for the last few years has been running the amsoil 25k mile oil.

he changes his oil once a year but checks the level every once in a while just to make sure its good to go.

there was absolutely zero sludge, burnt oil or anything when we popped the valve covers off.

we halfway expected to see some crap from having 100k miles but it looked like a 20k mile engine.
I run the 0w30 about 25000 miles a oil change, in my 2000 v6 mustang
the car has 155,000 miles on it, still runs like it did when it was new,that is the best car I have ever owned.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Amsoil has a more powerful detergent package compared to Royal Purple, Red Line, Mobil 1, and others of the sort…which is the main reason why it can be run for so long.

Quick Reply: I decided to cut open a Fl820s & a Amsoil eao11