Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

For anyone using Mobile 1 ?? This may SHOCK you

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
sorry that test doesn't make sense if you were going to test different oils wouldnt you get all the same weight of oil not 4 different weights?
^+1, the test has more holes than a piece of Alpine Lace cheese.

As I said earlier I always enjoy these sorts of "shoot-outs", so I spent a bit of time doing some research on this one.

It's from Austrailia, that's why the odd oil brands, and seems to be from mid-2006. Here's an interesting forum thread from "down-under" where a fellow who says he is the deputy editor of Street Commodores magazine is asking questions about test procedures.

Of great note is the last post, a response from a RedLine representative, in which the Redline guy says in part:

In a rough sense this test is used for grease not oil. It is like using a quarter mile drag strip to find the "best four wheel drive on the market." A real test but totally irrelevent to what happens in the real world.
Here is a link to the Street Commodores website--note that Valvoline and RP (whose products coincidentally did best in the "tests") are sponsors...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Dale7champ94

It's kind of like bookkeeping. A good accountant can make the numbers say what they want them to say. Like the gas commercials. it all comes out of the same pipelines It's all the same gas. I used to drive a tanker and they all fill up at the same holding tanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

I'll be sticking with Mobil 1. Always good to hear the other side of the story though OP; keeps you on the lookout.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A bit more digging and I found this--Street Commodores' followup story, pretty much a retraction of the original article and the test's conclusions...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Been using Castrol Syntec in my pony for years. Don't see any reason to change now.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Mobil 1is a top of the line oil. I've known people that have used it for years and years. After 200,000 miles cyliner wall cross hatch marks still fresh
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
saleen0101
1st Gear Member

I been using mobile 1 for years as well. Ive also read somewhere that Mobile 1 is notorious for sludge buildup? Anyone have any sludge problems?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by saleen0101
I been using mobile 1 for years as well. Ive also read somewhere that Mobile 1 is notorious for sludge buildup? Anyone have any sludge problems?
This is not intended to bad mouth Mobil1, but it was the only oil I used from the first oil change until the catostrophic failure of my 2004 F250 5.4 V8
I changed the oil every 5k miles, with Mobil1 and Mobil filter. One day I was at a traffic light when all of a sudden the most horrific noise came from the engine. My truck with only 129,000 miles, blew a rod and was in need of a replacement engine, and no one to be held responsible.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
saleen0101
1st Gear Member

Did you use full synthetic? Maybe your oil level was up to full possibly? dont know just some thoughts..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

when i first started using amsoil I was glad to see the posted results of some ASTM tests for wear. Just like a few people mentioned a good accountant can make the books say anything. If all astm tests are followed correctly at least you get a relative comparison between brands for certain attributes. I think the test they mentioned involved loading a bearing with enough force to score it and then measure depth of scratch - the deeper the scratch the worse the wear protection with all else being equal.

I read the amsoil story when i first started using and it mentioned the military giving amsoil their name by insisting on it for their turbines dating back to the 70's. Not sure if that was true or not and I haven't been using it for too long.

One thing I can definitely say is it will clean all the carbon out of your engine. Not sure I would have even went that way on a 50k mile engine if i knew the crap that was going to get dislodged.

Quick Reply: For anyone using Mobile 1 ?? This may SHOCK you