Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 AM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

Default oil filter question

Hi I just picked up my stock 05 gt and I am going to do my first oil change. Can you use a regular motorcraft filter with full synthetic mobile one oil or do you need to use that expensive mobile 1 filter too?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by steve r
Hi I just picked up my stock 05 gt and I am going to do my first oil change. Can you use a regular motorcraft filter with full synthetic mobile one oil or do you need to use that expensive mobile 1 filter too?
Motorcraft is an excellent filter to use
Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

bang for the buck, you can't beat the MC filter running it 5,000 miles or less. Unless you plan to run extended drain intervals I wouldn't look beyond it.

Also, if you are going to run a standard ~5,000 oil change interval, take our advice and steer clear of Mobil 1 Syn 5W-20 API SM motor oil (I would buy their extended performance before their regular syn). IMO, you could have better oil using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. You may even look to using Motorcraft Syn blend 5W-20, and it would be a big savings over Mobil 1.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 08-21-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

well the guy before me always used full synthetic.. I thought mobile one was good? whats wrong with it?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve r
well the guy before me always used full synthetic.. I thought mobile one was good? whats wrong with it?
You may want to read this thread.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...ustang-gt.html

and educate yourself about engine lubricant formulation at this link

http://www.driven2modify.com/showthread.php?t=25162

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 08-21-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
bang for the buck, you can't beat the MC filter running it 5,000 miles or less. Unless you plan to run extended drain intervals I wouldn't look beyond it.

Also, if you are going to run a standard ~5,000 oil change interval, take our advice and steer clear of Mobil 1 Syn 5W-20 API SM motor oil (I would buy their extended performance before their regular syn). IMO, you could have better oil using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. You may even look to using Motorcraft Syn blend 5W-20, and it would be a big savings over Mobil 1.
I would love to use motorcraft but the guy before me always used full synthetic. Wouldnt it be bad to go from full to a blend?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

nope thats a old myth than you cant switch between synthetics, blends and dino. I do it all the time.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
nope thats a old myth than you cant switch between synthetics, blends and dino. I do it all the time.
true, but every time I try to slip dino KY in on the girlfriend....

She immediately noticed an increase in heat, less comfort, and a lot less efficiency, and OMG at the increase in dis-satisfaction noise.

I was told to go back to 100% full synthetic lube or I won't be taking her for test drives any longer.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

So beast in you're opinion is it ok to move from a full syn to motocraft blend? or is that a no no?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
So beast in you're opinion is it ok to move from a full syn to motocraft blend? or is that a no no?
It's perfectly fine to change oil types. The only sacrifice you make going to a syn blend versus a 100% true full synthetic is....

1. increased oil change intervals (run oil less miles)
2. increased coolant temperatures (documented many times and many different applications.
3. increased mechanical noises (not everyone has reported this)

*Esters that are formulated into a full synthetic actually allows engine oil to adhere to metal surfaces like a magnet. This eliminates cold starts and mechanical noises at initial start up.*

Most people have no clue the true benefits of using a superior engine lubricant. I do, and nothing else will be in any engine I have.

Quick Reply: oil filter question