Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Castrol Edge Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Default Castrol Edge Titanium

Being that I have become attached to this brand of oil I decided to research it and see what I am actually using. Does anyone have in-depth information regarding this type of oil? Specifically, what base stock is it composed of, any wear comparisons with other brands, and any other relevant information. I have tried looking for this information but I am having trouble finding anything that is specific and posted by anyone other than Castrol. Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

I have tried contacting many oil companies in regards to the products they sell. Castrol is hard to get a hold of.

So I went to Blackstone Labs. I viewed reports from them on customers that use Castrol Titanium.

The best two were Mobile 1 vs Castrol Titanium.

The Mobile 1 being a universal synthetic commonly used showed all normal readings within spec. No high levels of iron, copper, etc. The interval was changed at 7,500.
Mobile 1 Blackstone Report

The guy then used Castrol Titanium. This report showed more piston and ring wear. But a big drop in Iron.
Castrol EDGE w/ Titanium

Study both charts carefully and you can see how the oils wear the motors differently. Not a bad oil. The only thing that worries me is putting an additive that is stronger than the metals my motor is made with. Most oils use ZDDP (Type of Zinc additive) because it is softer and will not wear things like the pistons, piston rings.

I will try to get more info but this is all i have at this time.