Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Anyone using M1 0w40 Euro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
they must use a completely different 4.6 in Australia then right?
because those cars get 30 wt not a 20
About this, Beast, what say you about the new 5.0 and 3.7 being developed with Ford having 5w20 in mind all along? I don't know any specs on the oil pumps, but I do know the filter is different (FL500 now on both motors instead of the old FL820) and the oil capacities are larger than in the past (now 8 and 6 quarts respectively.)

Did Ford design this motor to better cope with the thinner oils the cafe standards are forcing?

The ams 0w30 is looking better and better, regardless.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
About this, Beast, what say you about the new 5.0 and 3.7 being developed with Ford having 5w20 in mind all along? I don't know any specs on the oil pumps, but I do know the filter is different (FL500 now on both motors instead of the old FL820) and the oil capacities are larger than in the past (now 8 and 6 quarts respectively.)
You are correct, the oil filter did change, but that doesn't matter when viscosity is concerned. If the engines make it to Australia (and they will), they will probably be spec'd for 5W-30 just like previous generations of modular engines. The extra capacity of oil will allow for greater oil change intervals. Larger volumes of oil have more additives % to use up.

Did Ford design this motor to better cope with the thinner oils the cafe standards are forcing?
Again, let's wait and see what the Ford Aussie's spec for their identical 3.7 and 5.0 engines.

The ams 0w30 is looking better and better, regardless.
It should, as it's the best formulation I have ever ran in a Ford Modular.

You really shouldn't worry about it being spec'd as a 30 grade oil. The cSt @ 100*C (Operating temperature viscosity) is only 10.3. A 20 grade oil is going to spec at about 9 cSt. That's not enough of a difference to make the VVT, tolerances, etc. act any different. Don't forget that I actually gained efficiency by switching from a 5W-20 to 0W-30.

Run it with confidence.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
How do you know that? Did Ford issue a memo somewhere?
Like Shady and I have been telling you, a memo was not required. Common sense will tell you it was only due to CAFE laws. Why else would the Aussies spec 30 grade oil in the same engines?

The only differences between Australia and USA that determines what grade of oil to run.

1. CAFE laws: Ford saves millions by using a thinner oil in the sump to gain efficiency. This law is not valid in Australia.

2. Product availability: xW-20 is not a common grade used in Australia. 5W-30 oils are widely available there. Why spec something that isn't required (no CAFE laws) and don't have requirements for it anyway (no demand). Why ship something onto the country that would never sell and has no application for it?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Apparently, the new Australian Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) BOSS 335 "Miami" engine, which is a supercharged version of the Coyote 5.0, is spec'd to use 5w-20.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
Apparently, the new Australian Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) BOSS 335 "Miami" engine, which is a supercharged version of the Coyote 5.0, is spec'd to use 5w-20.
That's quite interesting. Have a link to the specs?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
You are correct, the oil filter did change, but that doesn't matter when viscosity is concerned. If the engines make it to Australia (and they will), they will probably be spec'd for 5W-30 just like previous generations of modular engines. The extra capacity of oil will allow for greater oil change intervals. Larger volumes of oil have more additives % to use up.

You really shouldn't worry about it being spec'd as a 30 grade oil. The cSt @ 100*C (Operating temperature viscosity) is only 10.3. A 20 grade oil is going to spec at about 9 cSt. That's not enough of a difference to make the VVT, tolerances, etc. act any different. Don't forget that I actually gained efficiency by switching from a 5W-20 to 0W-30.

Run it with confidence.
Excellent info, all.
Thank you.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Unleashedbeast is an oil expert or as close as they come. I have read a few of his threads and am confident is his opinion. Bruce I wasn't trying to take shots at you I was merely pointing out fords obvious change in what they spec from here to there. I can honestly say since I was using 5w20 til I read countless threads in the bitog forums and made the switch. Now my car runs a lil cooler,oil pressure is a lol higher and the tapping that I had experienced gone. Op do whatever you feel is right. Mobil 1 has been great oil for years as I am sure it still is but once faced with information that there are better products I switched. Free country do as you please
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

That's quite interesting. Have a link to the specs?
Pictures of the engine show 5w-20 ("Castrol") on the oil cap. The new motor press package went out last week, so it's pretty new still. Hence, I said "apparently" in my post - things could change.

All that said, the Miami engine has an oil cooler, so the lower vis oil should be fine. The Coyote development team put a larger than normal oil pump in the engine "6 mm deeper" (1/4 inch or so) to maintain hot idle oil pressure with 5w-20. It could just be the best choice for most applications.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
Unleashedbeast is an oil expert or as close as they come.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I prefer the term "enthusiast". I think it fits me a lot better as I don't consider myself an expert, maybe more on the amateur/pro level.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
Pictures of the engine show 5w-20 ("Castrol") on the oil cap. The new motor press package went out last week, so it's pretty new still. Hence, I said "apparently" in my post - things could change.

All that said, the Miami engine has an oil cooler, so the lower vis oil should be fine. The Coyote development team put a larger than normal oil pump in the engine "6 mm deeper" (1/4 inch or so) to maintain hot idle oil pressure with 5w-20. It could just be the best choice for most applications.

Ok, I figured out the skinny on this. Check out the HTHS on the 5w20 in this link.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/99...20_2009_10.pdf

I'd love to see the zinc and moly ppm as well.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 01-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using M1 0w40 Euro?