Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

First oil change, how mad should I be?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
reelman65

Default First oil change, how mad should I be?

Greetings everyone! I am new to the forum, thanks for the great resource.

Here is my dilemma:

I took my new 2011 GT, that I ordered for the first oil change at the local ford dealer.

after a couple of weeks I check the oil and it looks very low. I wait until the next morning and check again. It is very low. I look at the receipt from the service and it states "6 quarts". well I am pretty sure the new 5.0 takes 8.

So I call the dealership and asked for the service dept....they are closed for the holidays. So I wait until this Monday and call my Ford customer relations satisfaction guy. I ask him what I should do. He says to just call the service dept. I tell him that I am not the kind of person that would try to exploit the situation and get a bunch of free crap, but I would appreciate the direction of how to approach the call to the service mgr. He says: " I don't know what to tell you. just call him"

Here is how that call went:

svc mgr: hello

me: hello, I think i have a little issue with me last oil change. I think my car holds 8 QTS and my dipstick is reading very low and the receipt I got from you says 6 QTS.

svc mgr: what kind of car do you have

me: 2011 Mustang GT

svc mgr:That's the 4.6L right?

me: uh... no, the new 5.0L

svc mgr: OK let me look that up........

10 minutes later....

svc mgr: I can't find out the oil capacity right now, but just bring it in and we will top it off.

So I call the other guy back and tell him about the convo with the srv mgr. He doesn't want to hear it. So I just tell him to find out if it is possible to have any damage of driving 800 miles on 2 qts low and call me back.

My questions:

1. Could there be any damage from driving 800miles on 6 qts.
2. What is reasonable if no damage?

any and all input is welcome.
Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Document everything you've told us AND go into the dealership and have them document it in their system. You may want to contact Ford directly and see if there's some way you can have your issue documented outside of the dealership. In the event you DO have a problem sometime down the road, it's on record.

I doubt you did any damage and I doubt anybody with Ford will tell you that you did. Nor would I suspect that they'd be willing to do a tear-down to find out. A little ranting and raving might get you a few freebies.

Maybe this will teach you to 1) do your own oil changes or 2) ALWAYS check the level if another shop gets NEAR your car.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I expect 6 quarts enough to keep oil pickup flooded and produce normal oil pressure. Wouldn't hurt to research crankshaft splash lubrication on your engine.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The amount of damage possible depends on how hard you drove it for that 800 miles. Depending on the depth of the oil pump pickup in the pan, hard acceleration could momentarily starve the engine of oil. Kind of like when you suck real hard on a straw in a nearly empty cup and it slurps until the drink can fill the void created.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I doubt if any thing was hurt unless it was beaten on, but a good reminder to check the oil yourself. Chances are they won't do it again. I always change my own oil.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Sucks but I can tell you they are not going to do anything and tell you no damage was done. Been there, except in my case they did not put any oil back in on my truck. Kid goes to my wife as truck is idling outside after pulling around to the front, did you know your oil pressure gauge is broken. Have it documented but that will only really help you if something happens while under warranty. If your engine was to blow down the road they will try to replace it with a used engine with about the same mileage as your blown motor has. It's a no win situation.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 01-04-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I only go to the stealership for anything I have to go there for. One would think they would have knowledge of the cars they service. DO NOT trust them on their word. When I call or go to the service dept. I think Im talking to Bozo the clown.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Running 6qrts wont do ANY damage to the engine driving normal even a decent amount aggressively, damage occurs under prolonged high RPM under hard launch when the oil can't properly lube all the areas of those big dohc cylinder heads.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mayberry40
I only go to the stealership for anything I have to go there for...
Now that's funny...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
dSINtia

No damage. One reason for the increased capacity is to maintain oil pressure under heavy and aggressive driving that simulates track use. The oil sump can potentially run dry under prolonged high RPM conditions and oil sleuce can cause loss of pressure under high "G" maneuvering - both of these things are conquered by the increased oil capacity and pan design. Normal driving will result in exactly ZERO damage if the sump was filled to 75% capacity.

Be mad... very mad. Make it known to everyone who listen and even more known to those who won't listen. Document everything and keep that doggone receipt... God forbid premature engine failure outside your warrantly period and you may have a "legal" entitlement to compensation... not a lawyer but logically it makes a little sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First oil change, how mad should I be?