Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Oil Treatment Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Stop talking sense unleashed beast.... I see your over in the bitog forum too... Mt name is clevy over there.... There is some amazing info over there..anyways keep er coming. I look forward to your posts. Educational to say the least.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Thanks,

Just trying to educate those who haven't a clue, which is why they ask questions. I was once like them. Maybe I can help to make them more knowledgeable like me.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Do not add STP or Lucas to your oil. STP will add some ZDDP and increase your viscosity, Lucas will only increase the viscosity. Why choose any additive that will increase your viscosity, when you could have selected a more viscous formulation from the start?
When using Lucas, since it contains no additives whatsoever, you will actually have LESS anti-wear and cleaning protection since the Lucas product displaces the oils additives. Not good.

Is this not so, Beast?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
When using Lucas, since it contains no additives whatsoever, you will actually have LESS anti-wear and cleaning protection since the Lucas product displaces the oils additives. Not good.

Is this not so, Beast?
Correct

Normally you would add 6 quarts of oil to your engine, each with it's level of ZDDP and detergent additives.

When you substitute 1 quart using Lucas, which contains no anti-wear or detergent additives, you have effectively reduced the ppm content across the board. This is not a good thing. The reason why few believe Lucas works is due to it's viscosity. Heck, all viscous fluids will make your engine quieter, but it's not always what's best for your engine.

Adding one quart of Lucas with 5 quarts of 5W-20 would create close to a 20W-50. Why not go ahead and choose the correct viscosity in the first place, and retain the proper levels of additives?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

My motto is...

If you have to add any additive to your engine oil, you chose the wrong lubricant in the first place. Why not choose a lubricant that is already loaded with the additives required to do the job right?

Lizzyfan is adding greater amounts of ZDDP to his MotorCraft 5W-xx synblend API SM using Red Line product. It's the only additive I do approve of, and if he wasn't changing his oil every 3,000 miles....I would recommend something else for his application. It probably lasts him 3 oil changes if he is mixing it 1 ounce per 1 quart ratio. This is a cheap way to get more protection, unless you want to change your oil beyond 3-5,000 miles.

Do not add STP or Lucas to your oil. STP will add some ZDDP and increase your viscosity, Lucas will only increase the viscosity. Why choose any additive that will increase your viscosity, when you could have selected a more viscous formulation from the start?
I really think you made very good points here.. But here's another question ..you and others say why not just buy very good oil anyway where I don't have to add that stuff.. K check this.. When I first got the car it had about 70k miles now it's got about 110k this is about 9 months time.. I drive alot.. Never had any problems .. Don't take it to the track but do drive fast/somewhat harder on it.. Once in a while have to beat a import .

But now I'm low on cash and now I just want to take good care of it cause I can't afford another car right now ..I've always used Castrol Gtx 5w30 .. With stp.. Should I just put in Castrol Gtx 5w30 high milage? With no stp? Your thoughts?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
.I've always used Castrol Gtx 5w30 .. With stp.. Should I just put in Castrol Gtx 5w30 high milage? With no stp? Your thoughts?
What I use
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I would go with Castrol high milage, with no stp. There high milage(as with most) is on thicker side of the grade with a nice add pack. Use it with confidence
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
I would go with Castrol high milage, with no stp. There high milage(as with most) is on thicker side of the grade with a nice add pack. Use it with confidence
see that what I want to do..lol but you know that saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".. I haven't had a prob yet ..but I want to switch ..I'm scared lol what do you think?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

If you are on a budget, and you want a LOT of bang for the buck without adding anything to the oil....

You may want to check out Mobil 1 5W-30 high mileage. It's API SL certified, not API SM. This means it has higher amounts of ZDDP. Castrol high mileage is now API SM certified. It's simple to look at the API starburst logo on the back of any API certified lubricant and see what "class" it's certified for. If the oil says "SL", it has a much better additive pack than anything "SM". In all of my local Wal Mart and auto part stores, Mobil 1 high mileage is the ONLY API SL lubricant on the shelf. Other than Royal Purple, which is in a different category than what we are discussing.

Although, it's hard to beat Lizzy's Motorcraft 5W-30 API SM with added Red Line break in fluid (effectively making it an API SL lubricant). That's a lot of bang for the buck if you plan to change your oil at 5,000 miles or less. Yes, I know it's capable of ~7,500, but I honestly wouldn't run it that far.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-26-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

If you are on a budget, and you want a LOT of bang for the buck without adding anything to the oil....

You may want to check out Mobil 1 5W-30 high mileage. It's API SL certified, not API SM. This means it has higher amounts of ZDDP.
Good info

Quick Reply: Oil Treatment Opinions