Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

First oil change at 20K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Default First oil change at 20K miles.

Ok this one has got me a bit confused. Currently I have 4900 miles on my 5.0 and I checked my IOLM and it says that my oil life is 76%. I thought that was a bit high but I logged on to my online maintenance schedule and it says the first oil change isn't due until 20K miles. Then 10K mile interval thereafter. Does that seem a bit crazy to any of you guys? I was expecting to change it at 10K miles.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

20K would be very foolish, and just plain WRONG! First oil change should actually be at 500 miles, again at 1500, and about every 4K after that... At least 'till the engine is broken in.

My 2¢.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
20K would be very foolish, and just plain WRONG! First oil change should actually be at 500 miles, again at 1500, and about every 4K after that... At least 'till the engine is broken in.

My 2¢.
That's way old school. Today's manufacturing techniques don't leave casting residues like decades ago. Plus, with today's oils, you can pretty much stick with the manufacturer's recommendations. I'm not sure what oil comes from the factory in the '11 nor do I know what the OM says but if it's the synthetic blend that's in the 05-10's, then you're good for about 7500 miles. Full synthetic and 10,000 miles is still conservative. I have a few 200,000 + mile vehicles that were born and raised on 10,000 mile oil/filter change intervals.

But 20,000 miles sounds a bit long unless Ford is using some special break-in oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I would not do it at 20K. I do not know of any oil, even a true full synth oil that can even last that long.

Motorcraft full "synth" (not a true synth), according to Ford's oil change calculator you get when you register your vehicle on-line with Ford, says that will last 10K miles.
The techs at my dealership told me that they recommend 7500 miles for this same Motorcraft full "synth" oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

This just blows me away.

NOTE: Scheduled Maintenance listed below is based on the factory maintenance guide, not on your vehicle's service history or actual maintenance performed.

Your list of scheduled maintenance items:
Ford Motor Company highly recommends if you have not already done so, you should perform the following Scheduled Maintenance in another 15,067 miles: (These recommendations are not based on your actual service record.)

* Change engine oil and replace oil filter
* Inspect cabin air filter, if equipped
* Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
* Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
* Perform multi-point inspection
* Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
* Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
* Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
* Replace cabin air filter
Also I think it's a bit premature to get 3K mile oil change or less in a modern car. They have done a lot to improve oil life and you are just wasting money changing it that quickly.

I think a reasonable amount of time would be after 5K to 10K of first miles. I am just shocked that Ford is recommending this and want to know why.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

AMSOIL has a 25000 mile oil I think. Wait for unleashedbeast. He will set it straight. He is as close to an oil expert this forum has and I subscribe to his oil threads. Go to the oil sub-forum and he has a thread called what you need to know about oil and filters. There is some really eye opening info in there. And the days of the 3000 mile oci are long over. Technology has stepped in to oil chemistry and it has come a long way
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

my first change was at around 800 with mobil one, then at 3500, again at 7500, ill go every 5k from now on with ford racing filters, over 10k ur crazy. 7500 max for me..its cheap insurance
Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
AMSOIL has a 25000 mile oil I think. Wait for unleashedbeast. He will set it straight. He is as close to an oil expert this forum has and I subscribe to his oil threads. Go to the oil sub-forum and he has a thread called what you need to know about oil and filters. There is some really eye opening info in there. And the days of the 3000 mile oci are long over. Technology has stepped in to oil chemistry and it has come a long way
Difference being that the amsoil with 25,000 mile oil change intervals is way better oil than the synth blend that comes with the car from the factory lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Not sure why your indicator says that it has 76% left after 4900 miles -- there could be several reasons why.

Regardless, the owner's manual clearly says to change it when the indicator says to change it, or at 10,000 miles, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Note that I quoted Ford. I know what the manual says. I guess I would just have to approach Ford about this and figure out where they come up with this. Here is my reasoning. There are tons of people on the road, they are going to follow the IOLM. Even the manual pushes listening to the IOLM. The IOLM clearly has 20K mile for the first interval in it's algorithm.

If someone were to listen to the IOLM and wait 20K miles would Ford cover it under warranty? If someone were to listen to the vehicle maintenance guidelines on Ford's own website, would the warranty still cover? That is my concern. I have no interest in waiting until 20K miles. That seems crazy to me. I just want to know why Ford recommends this from both the in car computer and their own website.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 20K miles.