Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Oil change: synth vs. dino

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

As long as you aren't boosted you can get away with regular old dino, but I always recommend synthetic (even for non sports cars). Synthetic just maintains an engine better, and in the end if you can get better life out of your engine the extra $10-$20 every oil change is worth it.

I like 5w30, but hell I even used 0w30 once when I splurged for Amosil. That stuff was amazing, I just couldn't afford to pay for it every change (though Amsoil does last longer than even other synthetics).
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sullitf
I like 5w30, but hell I even used 0w30 once when I splurged for Amosil. That stuff was amazing, I just couldn't afford to pay for it every change (though Amsoil does last longer than even other synthetics).
You won't spend more money on Amsoil if you use it as suggested. Run it for at least 10,000 miles per change, and you will save money.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Autoengineer

I had a Saturn SL2 I bought when I graduated school and it always got its 3000 mile oil change with dino oil and it started to burn some serious oil around 150k miles. So bad in fact, it kept clogging up catalytic converters which is why ended up getting rid of it. My Nissan Maxima I own now has 199k miles on it and its always gotten synthetic since it hit around 20k miles and burns very little oil. Plus I went anywhere between 4000-8000 miles between changes. There maybe other factors, but I think the synthetic oil made a difference. Of course if you don't plan on keeping your cars as long as I do, it may not matter.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Autoengineer
I had a Saturn SL2 I bought when I graduated school and it always got its 3000 mile oil change with dino oil and it started to burn some serious oil around 150k miles.
Nothing to do with oil choice
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Older thread now... But something I don't see people mentioning is sure the oil life is great - the weakness is the filter. If you are not filtering out enough or it starts to plug up and reduce flow - not good. That depends a lot on what brand you use and the conditions where you live and drive. Most newer cars use measuring methods to tell you when to change oil. The problem is still the filters. I would not use a cheap one and change it at least every 4-5k with a "good" one. I don't have the links handy but there are some good pages out there on comparisons of oil filters - the differences are dramatic. Last time I check the Ford Motorcraft filters were not quite mediocre.

A dusty environment will also greatly shorten the time frame in which you should consider doing your oil changes.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Oil Filters - http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

It's a little dated but the base information in it will get you thinking about what you should and should not be running.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

That is one of the pages I was thinking of. It is a little dated but info is good. Worth a read by everyone.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Hate to say it but I bought my Mustang with 29k on the clock and no records. From what I gleaned the Chevy dealer I bought it from put 10-30 Dino in it. I just had the oil changed and went with Pennzoil 5-20 synthetic... yep blue smoke at startup sometimes now at 34K
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

That may not be oil. First it wouldn't be the first time a dealer actually masked an issue to sell a car. However are you sure they used 10-w30? If it is just at start up I am thinking a bad Valve Guide/seal or 3. Common in these cars. An acquaintance bought one with 40k on it and has the same issue.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

According to the "Pre-sale" service paper work they gave me when I bought the car in Sept. it shows oil and filter 10w-30 at $3.69 a qt which tells me that it was dino.

It doesn't smoke at every start up. If I start it up and move it out of the garage then start it up even an hour later it will smoke. It's still under warranty so if it gets worse I will take it to the Ford dealership.. that should be interest.

Quick Reply: Oil change: synth vs. dino