Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Jesus! Are you serious?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Default Jesus! Are you serious?

This is a response to the new mass message posted at the top of the forums here concerning Royal Purple's test to market "Max Film" spray lubricant. In case you missed that post, click the link below.

Royal Purple Max Film Falex testing

The Falex "one arm bandit" test machine is a gimmick! Watch the video below to find out how.

Amsoil - One Arm Bandit Exposed

What a JOKE!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

I find this video ironic since amsoil lists the four ball wear test as relevant in thier advertising when most oil blogs and manufacturers discredit it with respects motor oil.

The fact that they continue to list this "spec" is one of the main reasons i will not buy thier products.

Smacks of malarkey. Just like the little lucas oil gear towers they have at autozone to "prove" that you need oil stabilizer. Doesnt change the fact that the oil stabilizer product is the embodiment of snake oil.

That aside, yes, the royal prple stunt makes me not want to use any of thier products.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 04-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I just asked my uncle Jesus what's up... and he says its for serious...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The 4 ball wear test can be repeated, and with the same results every time. It can't be manipulated like the Falex test machine seen above.

and Lucas Oil Stabilizer is nothing more than a very heavy petroleum base stock with no additives. It thickens up the oil formulation you choose to mix it with, and effectively dilutes the additive pack in the previous mentioned oil. Not a good result!

So you don't like Amsoil because in your opinion, the 4 ball wear test isn't real world for you. So let's not even consider it. What about all the other testing? NOACK, HT/HS, Oxidation, etc...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Jesus saves. Moses invests.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
I just asked my uncle Jesus what's up... and he says its for serious...
I know....right!

Although, this isn't Royal Purple's first attempt at inaccurate testing methods. I think RP is a well formulated product, I just think their marketing technique needs a bit of tweaking.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
The 4 ball wear test can be repeated, and with the same results every time. It can't be manipulated like the Falex test machine seen above.

and Lucas Oil Stabilizer is nothing more than a very heavy petroleum base stock with no additives. It thickens up the oil formulation you choose to mix it with, and effectively dilutes the additive pack in the previous mentioned oil. Not a good result!

So you don't like Amsoil because in your opinion, the 4 ball wear test isn't real world for you. So let's not even consider it. What about all the other testing? NOACK, HT/HS, Oxidation, etc...
Im not arguing the end results people report. What im saying is, they constantly use a non standard test to "prove" the superiority of thier motor oil over other motor oils when the 4 ball test is by its nature a non sequitor for motor oils.

I find it a little shady, frankly.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

So I should run head and shoulders in my engine???
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Im not arguing the end results people report. What im saying is, they constantly use a non standard test to "prove" the superiority of thier motor oil over other motor oils when the 4 ball test is by its nature a non sequitor for motor oils.

I find it a little shady, frankly.
I don't need the 4 ball wear test to tell me anything, in fact....I ignore that spec, always.

I have Amsoil UOAs from my Shelby compared to Motorcraft 5W-50 from other cars setup and driven just like mine. There is no comparison.

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
So I should run head and shoulders in my engine???
YES! The Falex machine proved it was superior for anti-friction! We should fill up our crankcase with it NOW!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

im not buying grease any more. That head n shoulders is the shiz nite.

Quick Reply: Jesus! Are you serious?