What type of Oil does everyone use? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com


Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
JRC702
1st Gear Member
 
JRC702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast View Post
The TBN (detergent additives) of a true synthetic that prevent occurance of everything you listed above are far more capable of performing beyond the 5,000 mile barrier.

Everything you said above is true, but 5,000 miles is not making a top tier lubricant break a sweat. Look at two of my UOAs below. Both lubricants had over 4,000 miles on them at the second sampling. Notice how high the TBN still is. Both lubricants had a TBN of 11-12 in the virgin unused condition. 1.0 or lower is considered too low, and must be changed. These samples are in a 680 rwhp GT500, and will be much harder on oil than a 360 rwhp Coyote or 300 rwhp 4.6L N/A engine.

In this sample, 10W-30 was sampled through the dip stick tube, and is still in my engine today. Total miles on the second sample was 4,389 miles (2130 + 2259 miles). TBN content is still strong, as it's not a linear reduction process.


In this sample, 20W-50 was the first sample, then dumped. 10W-40 was the second and third sample taken through the dip stick tube. 10W-40 was dumped after the third sample. Total miles on the third sample was 4,124 miles (2033 + 2091 miles). Sample was wasted in order to move on and test 10W-30, not changed because it was required to do so.
Amsoil does have very strong TBN numbers, nobody can deny that.
However while TBN represents is the acid neutralizing capacity of engine oil, it does not magically remove or counter the long term effects of potentially abrasive insolubles or the solvent like effects even a normal amount of fuel dilution has on any type of lubricant.

I sleep better at night knowing those contaminants are being removed from my engines on a more frequent basis rather than just assuming the effects of those contaminants are being countered by the additive package in my engine oil.

There is also a definite benefit to putting the car on the rack on a more frequent basis and giving the whole car a look over to catch any other potential problems before they manifest themselves down the road.

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but I still must respectfully disagree.
JRC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member
 
Unleashedbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC702 View Post
Amsoil does have very strong TBN numbers, nobody can deny that.
However while TBN represents is the acid neutralizing capacity of engine oil, it does not magically remove or counter the long term effects of potentially abrasive insolubles or the solvent like effects even a normal amount of fuel dilution has on any type of lubricant.

I sleep better at night knowing those contaminants are being removed from my engines on a more frequent basis rather than just assuming the effects of those contaminants are being countered by the additive package in my engine oil.

There is also a definite benefit to putting the car on the rack on a more frequent basis and giving the whole car a look over to catch any other potential problems before they manifest themselves down the road.

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but I still must respectfully disagree.
The insolubles and fuel dilution is below the measurable limits on all five samples above. You can disagree, but I have evidence that you are wrong in some instances where a true synthetic with a robust additive is being used.

Using watered down Mobil 1, I agree with you 100%. It's not what it once was. Now they use "VISOM" highly refined petroleum to save money while charging the customer more, yet still calling it "Fully Synthetic".
Unleashedbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member
 
Old Mustanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 615
Default

Real numbers don't lie!
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
kbmag1
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 10
Default

What would be the recommended Amsoil (SS, XL, OE) for an annual mileage of 3,500? Are all three "real" synthetics, and would each one be robust enough to handle one year?
kbmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member
 
Unleashedbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmag1 View Post
What would be the recommended Amsoil (SS, XL, OE) for an annual mileage of 3,500? Are all three "real" synthetics, and would each one be robust enough to handle one year?
all three are NOT "real" synthetics.

OE is 100% group III hydrocracked highly refined petroleum

XL is a blend of group III and group IV (PAO true synthetic)

SS is 100% true synthetic

Amsoil recommends no more than 6 month intervals with OE or XL, you want to use SS for once a year oil changes.
Unleashedbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 261
Default

My mom's '89 Mustang had amazing service from Castrol Syntec (I know it's not a true synthetic). I was a fan of Mobile 1 but then switched to Redline and Amsoil when the local stores carried them. However, the stores quit carrying those brands and I moved on to Royal Purple. Now my loyalty follows either Royal Purple or Castrol Edge Titanium (not sure if this in a real synthetic or not) depending on which brand is having a sale at the time of purchase. Those are the ones I run in the S-10, Colorado, and my mom's '03 Mustang.

Now for my old horse I run Mobile 1 Delvac diesel oil.
SuperHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
lizzyfan
Underboss
 
lizzyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helaware
Posts: 20,274
Default

Motorcraft blend FTW!!!!
lizzyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,612
Default

I've been meaning to try amsoil for awhile now and get a UOA done, but I keep getting lazy, and no one mentioned the number one most important factory benefiting regular oil change intervals based on time. Amsoil= 1 day down the garage a year to take your time doing and oil change and drinkins some drinks with the guys. Group III refined oils= 1 day every 3 months down the garage with the guys and some drinks AWAY FROM THE WOMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member
 
Unleashedbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberstang1 View Post
I've been meaning to try amsoil for awhile now and get a UOA done, but I keep getting lazy, and no one mentioned the number one most important factory benefiting regular oil change intervals based on time. Amsoil= 1 day down the garage a year to take your time doing and oil change and drinkins some drinks with the guys. Group III refined oils= 1 day every 3 months down the garage with the guys and some drinks AWAY FROM THE WOMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
I chuckled.

away from the women, haha!
Unleashedbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member
 
safetyfastgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 97
Default

Anyone use SWEPCO? They make a 5w20 now. Friend of mine is a dealer, so I've been thinking of giving it a try, but not much literature out there other than their in house stuff. Apparently a lot of Porsche guys swear by it, but that's a completely different style engine than we deal with.
safetyfastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extnesion for radio antenna to head unit kevsgt 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 10-09-2015 11:12 PM
4r70w torque converter q's guitarman376 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 0 09-30-2015 06:54 PM
Need to rebuild the automatic transmission 1996 GT wraith777 General Tech 1 09-28-2015 11:49 AM
Fuel Pump for 98 3.8L model. Not sure which type? mrappe V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 0 09-26-2015 11:16 AM
Borla ATAK not louder than S-type (Stinger) 2007CalSpec 2005-2014 Mustangs 6 09-10-2015 08:51 PM


Tags
05, 09, 1986, 2012, 88, 95, ford, gt, kind, muctang, mustang, oil, put, running, turbo, type

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.