Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

What type of Oil does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
The TBN (detergent additives) of a true synthetic that prevent occurance of everything you listed above are far more capable of performing beyond the 5,000 mile barrier.

Everything you said above is true, but 5,000 miles is not making a top tier lubricant break a sweat. Look at two of my UOAs below. Both lubricants had over 4,000 miles on them at the second sampling. Notice how high the TBN still is. Both lubricants had a TBN of 11-12 in the virgin unused condition. 1.0 or lower is considered too low, and must be changed. These samples are in a 680 rwhp GT500, and will be much harder on oil than a 360 rwhp Coyote or 300 rwhp 4.6L N/A engine.

In this sample, 10W-30 was sampled through the dip stick tube, and is still in my engine today. Total miles on the second sample was 4,389 miles (2130 + 2259 miles). TBN content is still strong, as it's not a linear reduction process.

In this sample, 20W-50 was the first sample, then dumped. 10W-40 was the second and third sample taken through the dip stick tube. 10W-40 was dumped after the third sample. Total miles on the third sample was 4,124 miles (2033 + 2091 miles). Sample was wasted in order to move on and test 10W-30, not changed because it was required to do so.
Amsoil does have very strong TBN numbers, nobody can deny that.
However while TBN represents is the acid neutralizing capacity of engine oil, it does not magically remove or counter the long term effects of potentially abrasive insolubles or the solvent like effects even a normal amount of fuel dilution has on any type of lubricant.

I sleep better at night knowing those contaminants are being removed from my engines on a more frequent basis rather than just assuming the effects of those contaminants are being countered by the additive package in my engine oil.

There is also a definite benefit to putting the car on the rack on a more frequent basis and giving the whole car a look over to catch any other potential problems before they manifest themselves down the road.

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but I still must respectfully disagree.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
Amsoil does have very strong TBN numbers, nobody can deny that.
However while TBN represents is the acid neutralizing capacity of engine oil, it does not magically remove or counter the long term effects of potentially abrasive insolubles or the solvent like effects even a normal amount of fuel dilution has on any type of lubricant.

I sleep better at night knowing those contaminants are being removed from my engines on a more frequent basis rather than just assuming the effects of those contaminants are being countered by the additive package in my engine oil.

There is also a definite benefit to putting the car on the rack on a more frequent basis and giving the whole car a look over to catch any other potential problems before they manifest themselves down the road.

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but I still must respectfully disagree.
The insolubles and fuel dilution is below the measurable limits on all five samples above. You can disagree, but I have evidence that you are wrong in some instances where a true synthetic with a robust additive is being used.

Using watered down Mobil 1, I agree with you 100%. It's not what it once was. Now they use "VISOM" highly refined petroleum to save money while charging the customer more, yet still calling it "Fully Synthetic".
Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Real numbers don't lie!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 PM
kbmag1

What would be the recommended Amsoil (SS, XL, OE) for an annual mileage of 3,500? Are all three "real" synthetics, and would each one be robust enough to handle one year?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kbmag1
What would be the recommended Amsoil (SS, XL, OE) for an annual mileage of 3,500? Are all three "real" synthetics, and would each one be robust enough to handle one year?
all three are NOT "real" synthetics.

OE is 100% group III hydrocracked highly refined petroleum

XL is a blend of group III and group IV (PAO true synthetic)

SS is 100% true synthetic

Amsoil recommends no more than 6 month intervals with OE or XL, you want to use SS for once a year oil changes.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

My mom's '89 Mustang had amazing service from Castrol Syntec (I know it's not a true synthetic). I was a fan of Mobile 1 but then switched to Redline and Amsoil when the local stores carried them. However, the stores quit carrying those brands and I moved on to Royal Purple. Now my loyalty follows either Royal Purple or Castrol Edge Titanium (not sure if this in a real synthetic or not) depending on which brand is having a sale at the time of purchase. Those are the ones I run in the S-10, Colorado, and my mom's '03 Mustang.

Now for my old horse I run Mobile 1 Delvac diesel oil.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Motorcraft blend FTW!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I've been meaning to try amsoil for awhile now and get a UOA done, but I keep getting lazy, and no one mentioned the number one most important factory benefiting regular oil change intervals based on time. Amsoil= 1 day down the garage a year to take your time doing and oil change and drinkins some drinks with the guys. Group III refined oils= 1 day every 3 months down the garage with the guys and some drinks AWAY FROM THE WOMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I've been meaning to try amsoil for awhile now and get a UOA done, but I keep getting lazy, and no one mentioned the number one most important factory benefiting regular oil change intervals based on time. Amsoil= 1 day down the garage a year to take your time doing and oil change and drinkins some drinks with the guys. Group III refined oils= 1 day every 3 months down the garage with the guys and some drinks AWAY FROM THE WOMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
I chuckled.

away from the women, haha!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Anyone use SWEPCO? They make a 5w20 now. Friend of mine is a dealer, so I've been thinking of giving it a try, but not much literature out there other than their in house stuff. Apparently a lot of Porsche guys swear by it, but that's a completely different style engine than we deal with.

Quick Reply: What type of Oil does everyone use?