Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

What type of Oil does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM
minimac

Default What type of Oil does everyone use?

It has become that time again to change the oil, as i finally got my '88 on the road , what type of oil does everyone run? What do you suggest? And what about synthetic, should i run it from now on?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Everyone has a opinion on that one!

I've been rebuilding my own engines for many years. I've been using mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30 and never see the lifters coked. Never seen any sludge in the low places either.

(Been using 5w-30 M1 in my 89 and have no problems)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

My vote is M1 5w-30 synthetic as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

If you want highly refined petroleum in your engine lubricant, by all means....use Mobil 1, Castrol, or Pennzoil.

If you want a true synthetic that doesn't cheap out by using refined petroleum, yet still calling it a synthetic, use Amsoil Signature Series or Red Line.

I have a lot of interesting information about how the big oil companies are cheating people. If anyone wants more details, simply ask.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
b_manne

That real synthetic amsoil seems pretty legit.

I think I will run the 0w30, I like the sound of a 15,000 interval change.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
If you want highly refined petroleum in your engine lubricant, by all means....use Mobil 1, Castrol, or Pennzoil.

If you want a true synthetic that doesn't cheap out by using refined petroleum, yet still calling it a synthetic, use Amsoil Signature Series or Red Line.

I have a lot of interesting information about how the big oil companies are cheating people. If anyone wants more details, simply ask.
^ This.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Mobil 1 5w30 and every 5k for me. Never been a fan of extended oil change intervals.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
Mobil 1 5w30 and every 5k for me. Never been a fan of extended oil change intervals.
Those that are not a fan think that way for a few reasons.

1. Lack of education about modern lubricant technology with true synthetics (Mobil 1 is no longer 100% pure.)

2. Brainwashing through the ages of 3,000 mile oil changes for engine longevity. *Myth*

3. Believing that changing the oil more frequently decreases wear. *Myth*

Using a true synthetic like Amsoil Signature Series, you would only have to change your oil once a year, or up to 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. The base stock is 100% true synthetic, offers lower friction, less wear, higher efficiency, lower overall cost when used in duration, and less waste oil to the environment making you more green/conservative.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Those that are not a fan think that way for a few reasons.

1. Lack of education about modern lubricant technology with true synthetics (Mobil 1 is no longer 100% pure.)

2. Brainwashing through the ages of 3,000 mile oil changes for engine longevity. *Myth*

3. Believing that changing the oil more frequently decreases wear. *Myth*

Using a true synthetic like Amsoil Signature Series, you would only have to change your oil once a year, or up to 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. The base stock is 100% true synthetic, offers lower friction, less wear, higher efficiency, lower overall cost when used in duration, and less waste oil to the environment making you more green/conservative.

I would say the ones being brainwashed are the ones who have been conditioned to ignore the undenible fact than regardless of what brand of oil you are using, even under ideal conditions the internal combustion engine produces harmful contaminants, subjecting your engine oil to unburnt fuel, moisture, and various oxidants which in turn are circulated throughout your engine as these contaminants continue to accumulate inside your engine.

The myth would be to belive the role of engine oil is to simply lubricate, and that any brand of oil is immune to eventual sludging or somehow magically neuturalizes naturally occuring contaminants.
Those who constantly subject their engines to short trips not allowing the acidic condensation from their blow by gasses really put a lot of stress on their engine oil.

As far as the waste oil factor goes, my main concern is the health and longevity of my engine. Of course there are political pressures being put on the car manufacturers to push engine oil change intervals further apart.
To these who choose to go 15,000 miles between oil changes, I applaud you for your environmental efforts and at the same time wish you luck.

Many car manufacturers are acknowledging sludging issues even with todays engine and oil technologies. I'm not ready to jump on the extended oil change interval bandwagon yet.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
I would say the ones being brainwashed are the ones who have been conditioned to ignore the undenible fact than regardless of what brand of oil you are using, even under ideal conditions the internal combustion engine produces harmful contaminants, subjecting your engine oil to unburnt fuel, moisture, and various oxidants which in turn are circulated throughout your engine as these contaminants continue to accumulate inside your engine.

The myth would be to belive the role of engine oil is to simply lubricate, and that any brand of oil is immune to eventual sludging or somehow magically neuturalizes naturally occuring contaminants.
Those who constantly subject their engines to short trips not allowing the acidic condensation from their blow by gasses really put a lot of stress on their engine oil.
The TBN (detergent additives) of a true synthetic that prevent occurance of everything you listed above are far more capable of performing beyond the 5,000 mile barrier.

Everything you said above is true, but 5,000 miles is not making a top tier lubricant break a sweat. Look at two of my UOAs below. Both lubricants had over 4,000 miles on them at the second sampling. Notice how high the TBN still is. Both lubricants had a TBN of 11-12 in the virgin unused condition. 1.0 or lower is considered too low, and must be changed. These samples are in a 680 rwhp GT500, and will be much harder on oil than a 360 rwhp Coyote or 300 rwhp 4.6L N/A engine.

In this sample, 10W-30 was sampled through the dip stick tube, and is still in my engine today. Total miles on the second sample was 4,389 miles (2130 + 2259 miles). TBN content is still strong, as it's not a linear reduction process.

In this sample, 20W-50 was the first sample, then dumped. 10W-40 was the second and third sample taken through the dip stick tube. 10W-40 was dumped after the third sample. Total miles on the third sample was 4,124 miles (2033 + 2091 miles). Sample was wasted in order to move on and test 10W-30, not changed because it was required to do so.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 03-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: What type of Oil does everyone use?