Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Motorcraft Oil Filters at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Default Motorcraft Oil Filters at Walmart

I listen to the "Under the Hood Show" podcast on iTunes and recently they were discussing the Motorcraft Oil filters that are available at Walmart, which are half the price as they would be at the dealership parts counter.

They were explaining that although the filter model number is the same as what you would get at the dealership, the UPC code is different and the quality of the filter is also different. They called Ford and Ford confirmed this to be true. The reason the show checked on it is because they've had several cars in their shop recently with rattling engine noises, which turned out to be caused by the innards of the Walmart Motorcraft filter.

It doesn't seem right to me that Ford offers varying quality Motorcraft parts with the same part number and not openly indicating that it is not the same filter you would get at the dealership. This makes me wonder if the Walmart Motorcraft oil is the same as the dealerships Motorcraft oil.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I dunno, sounds bogus to me. A motorcraft filter is a motorcraft filter.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

I hope it's not true because I just changed my oil last week and used the motorcraft filter from walmart.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I also use the motorcraft filter from walmart, and would definitely like to know if this is true. Walmart does sell on a grand scale, so maybe they get a deal on the price.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:58 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds fishy to me. A quick Google search indicates to me this is an old rumor. It could also be a bad batch of filters that Wall-mart got since apparently it sounds like they all came into this one guys shop.
I vote for the old rumor explanation, no doubt spread by the the left who hate Walmart with a passion.
Here's the UPC decode for anyone wanting to do a little more detective work. The manufacturer identification number is the first six digits of the UPC number. The next five digits are the item number.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Ive bought and use motorcraft filters from walmart many time with out any issues.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

You don't think Ford would intentionally let Walmart sell poor quality parts that represent them do you? I find it a little hard to believe even though the price for the filter is cheaper at walmart. I think it might be a bad batch of filters like jimkaray said or its just a coincidence.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
You don't think Ford would intentionally let Walmart sell poor quality parts that represent them do you? I find it a little hard to believe even though the price for the filter is cheaper at walmart. I think it might be a bad batch of filters like jimkaray said or its just a coincidence.
+1, I agree....
Originally Posted by jesse1125
I hope it's not true because I just changed my oil last week and used the motorcraft filter from walmart.
Me either because I have been using the motorcraft filter from Walmart for about 3 years now lol. But I doubt thats true.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

I'm going to send a question into this radio show and see if they can provide proof via different upc numbers or something.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There is a difference between motorcraft and OEM ford components in some cases. The easiest way but not always true is that the color of the box is a telltale sign. Blue box means OEM ford, red box means Motorcraft Aftermarket. Ford Motor parts are also a lot longer than aftermarket motorcraft parts.

Example, OEM FOrd number for oil filter on our cars F1AZ6731BD, Aftermarket Motorcraft FL820S

UPC code won't prove anything as one UPC could be for retail sale, the other could be for commercial sale (in bulk). Different UPC's identical part.

A FL820S is a FL820S but not necessarily a F1AZ26731BD

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Oil Filters at Walmart