Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Is Royal Purple Really That Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM
SuperCooper

Not sure if this will help. I've been running RP in my 06 MINI Cooper S for about 5 years now. I've sent my oil off to be tested a few times, and tests come back fine. I use it because the car runs cooler when I use it. I've ran other oils, but the operating temp is always higher. I'm sticking with RP now. I've never had a dyno test, but it does seem peppier as well. That could be in my head. I'm also running RP tranny fluid, and I can tell a difference from that as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ive been telling myself for years I'm switching over to AMSoil and after some heavy research once winter brakes I'm gonna go with it, trans, motor, rear.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

My tranny used to be noisy before I changed over to RP. Quiet & smooth now. I use RP for all my Mustang fluids.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Fact is, there are only a few oils that are TRUE synthetic oils. Royal Purple, RedLine, Amsoil and (there is another one I think but my brain just stopped...it's late in the day.)

Your Mobil1s, Pennsoils, Castrol etc are NOT TRUE synthetics. They are actually semi-synthetics. If I were to switch to a TRUE synthetic, I would go with Amsoil. I use their stuff in my truck (other than actual engine oil) and they do a wonderful job. My Trans, both diffs, powersteering, etc is ALL Amsoil. Truck leaks/burns too much oil for me to justify spending 4X as much on oil when I'm buying 15qts of 15w40 at a time.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
rednekpimp

When bought my mustang with 120k on it, the first thing I did was to change all the fluids to royal purple. they are a great company based out of texas with awsome customer support, I called them to figure out what fluid would work best in my 5spd and he recomended synchromax, b/c that is what he ran in his boosted cobra. my trans. seemed to go in and out of gears better after a couple days. In my opinion it is worth the money.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Abushehab
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
Coincidence that I happened to be on here when you revived my thread. That's interesting. Not sure what the price difference would be between Mobil one and royal purple. I would still like to see it done with factory fluids for comparison. Wonder what the up gain would be on a car with 50000 miles.
Not sure myself been using Mobil 1 EP now trying out RP out both expensive as hell I will be putting it on a dyno shortly though I put the numbers on.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Abushehab
Not sure myself been using Mobil 1 EP now trying out RP out both expensive as hell I will be putting it on a dyno shortly though I put the numbers on.
Fantastic. Let us know.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
I know my manual tranny seemed smoother and shifted better when I initially put RP in over the stock oil. I am starting to think I may need to go back to a regular synthetic though.. not sure why, just feels like there isn't any oil in there, kinda like it is breaking down...?

If I were you, I'd stick with MOBILE 1 synthetic for the motor oil, plenty of history for long running engines on that. Seems to be some spotty stuff with RP. Best of luck whatever you decide.
I still have not swapped out my tranny fluid, but my gut is telling me the RP fluid does not dissipate the heat. I have heard reports of manuals running RP and failing, I am wondering if this is why. If my tranny runs cooler after I change the fluid, that will be proof to me, at least wrt the gear oil.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
pilatti1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rednekpimp
When bought my mustang with 120k on it, the first thing I did was to change all the fluids to royal purple. they are a great company based out of texas with awsome customer support, I called them to figure out what fluid would work best in my 5spd and he recomended synchromax, b/c that is what he ran in his boosted cobra. my trans. seemed to go in and out of gears better after a couple days. In my opinion it is worth the money.
I have not used RP Motor Oil BUT have also used the Syncromax and my shifting seems better and also runs cooler as my shifter used to put out a lot of heat and now it seems to be decreased. And I have 90k on my '07 GT/CS changed to the RP Syncromax at about 50k
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

oil film strength ya'll

Last edited by SXGT; 03-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple Really That Good?