Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Is Royal Purple Really That Good?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Default Is Royal Purple Really That Good?

While perusing AM, Steeda, etc., I noticed that all these websites sell Royal Purple oils. That got be thinking back to an episode of Trucks or My Classic Car, or one of those half hour car shows that was on Spike back when it was TNN. If I remember correctly, they did a dyno experiment with Royal Purple. Of course, they did a baseline, then changed out every fluid in the car with Royal Purple. Came with five or seven more horsepower. Anyone have any experience with that? I know lots of you guys use dynos. If we are all trying to eke out every last pony...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

This is what it says on their website:

Royal Purple formulates its products to maximize performance in real world applications. Numerous independent tests report performance gains by using Royal Purple lubricants.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I think what they do is run with a 40w-60 in there. Then they do another run with RP 0w-20 then you have some gains.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
I think what they do is run with a 40w-60 in there. Then they do another run with RP 0w-20 then you have some gains.
Good point.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

I know my manual tranny seemed smoother and shifted better when I initially put RP in over the stock oil. I am starting to think I may need to go back to a regular synthetic though.. not sure why, just feels like there isn't any oil in there, kinda like it is breaking down...?

If I were you, I'd stick with MOBILE 1 synthetic for the motor oil, plenty of history for long running engines on that. Seems to be some spotty stuff with RP. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Thanks Hamidar.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

If I did use Mobil 1, it would only be their Extended Performance lubricants. 5W-30 for Northern cars driven year round and 10W-30 for Southern cars.

Main line (Non EP) Mobil 1 lubricants use highly refined petroleum blended with true synthetic, so it's not 100% pure as they lead you to believe.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
If I did use Mobil 1, it would only be their Extended Performance lubricants. 5W-30 for Northern cars driven year round and 10W-30 for Southern cars.

Main line (Non EP) Mobil 1 lubricants use highly refined petroleum blended with true synthetic, so it's not 100% pure as they lead you to believe.
Since you mention it, which ones are the true synthetics? AMSOIL? Like you said, a lot of supposed synthetics have DINO bases. I recall a lot of threads on this and I always get confused and start wondering how much better any of it is....
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

I know that this thread is old but I do have some input to throw in on the subject. About two years ago one of the car shows did a dyno test of Mobile 1 vs Royal Purple in a Mustang (same weight, different brands). The results showed that the engine yielded a 1 horsepower increase when using RP...the result was unexpected and they could not offer an explanation as to why this would happen.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Coincidence that I happened to be on here when you revived my thread. That's interesting. Not sure what the price difference would be between Mobil one and royal purple. I would still like to see it done with factory fluids for comparison. Wonder what the up gain would be on a car with 50000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple Really That Good?