Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Is Royal Purple Really That Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 PM
04goat
1st Gear Member

reguardless of the so called cheap rp oil! I been running rp from orielleys for 62000 miles. thats how long my gto has been cammed. Not one hiccup, It has been turning 6900 rpm every time i take it out. still burn's no oil, or leaks oil. my car has 125000 miles on it now. I have lost 10 rwhp and 9 rwtq in 62000 miles. never been retuned since either. i run my oil 4000 miles and change it. i use the rp oil filter.
If the cheap rp oil was a bad oil, i really think my ls1 would be showing sign's of bad oil by now. Cheaper oil. not by me!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by 04goat
reguardless of the so called cheap rp oil! I been running rp from orielleys for 62000 miles. thats how long my gto has been cammed. Not one hiccup, It has been turning 6900 rpm every time i take it out. still burn's no oil, or leaks oil. my car has 125000 miles on it now. I have lost 10 rwhp and 9 rwtq in 62000 miles. never been retuned since either. i run my oil 4000 miles and change it. i use the rp oil filter.
If the cheap rp oil was a bad oil, i really think my ls1 would be showing sign's of bad oil by now. Cheaper oil. not by me!!!!
So your evidence of proof of an oil functioning is that your engine hasn't broken. What about the evidence of people who use the cheapest oil they can find and Fram oil filters going 300,000 miles on their engine?

There is no evidence Royal Purple is better than other oils, if it were the same price as high quality oil then I'd say sure, use it. But since they want a premium for their oil no way.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
So your evidence of proof of an oil functioning is that your engine hasn't broken. What about the evidence of people who use the cheapest oil they can find and Fram oil filters going 300,000 miles on their engine?

There is no evidence Royal Purple is better than other oils, if it were the same price as high quality oil then I'd say sure, use it. But since they want a premium for their oil no way.
This.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninja920
The Royal Purple that is in Wal Marts and other stores is regular RP. When it has three big letters saying HPS that is the good stuff with zinc and phosphorus and its film strength is 5 times stronger than Mobil 1. Running anything other than 5-20 in a variable cam time engine is wrong. Royal Purple HPS is the best oil you can put in your car.
Really? I run royal purple HPS 10w30 here in sunny florida and it loves the stuff. 5w20 will make more power and get better gas mileage, but your motor will not last as long. I'm still amazed that people are running 5w20 in their new coyote 5.0, while anyone with the track pack is running 5w50, same motor, variable cam time engine. That fact makes your statement kind of silly.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Troponin
People using the film strength argument are actually debating with dated information and lack an understanding of modern oils and engine needs. Film strength is a measurement for extreme pressure, which modern engines no longer deal with. It's actually a characteristic needed in gearing, not engines. This is actually achieved through an additive. Companies like Mobile One leave it out of their oils for two reasons 1. It's no longer needed 2. It causes corrosion. Companies like Amsoil, Royal Purple etc, use it so that they can brag about their film strength with a dated Timken load test and market their highly over priced product.
Tell that to my rod bearings. Bearings in your motor are absolutely under extreme pressure, otherwise you could just use baby oil. Zinc and phos are still needed in modern engines, why else would oil manufacturers be adding other anti-wear additives to try and make up for the lack of zinc/phos, which the epa makes them take out to get the latest api rating. Nothing works as well as zinc/phos and they know it.

Last edited by moosestang; 05-29-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri

Exactly! I have a Toyota Avalon with 340,000. miles on standard oil with regular oil changes & changing the filter every other oil change. It has had no work except brakes, shocks and timing belt. It runs great and gets great mileage. So much for the magical, mystery oils.

My belief is that synthetic oils give an extra tolerance to high temperatures which is valuable to tow vehicles and vehicles pushed hard. You can run them "at least" twice as long which is a convenience. Amsoil is sold in sales pyramids like women sell beauty products and Shakely household products.

I also am not convinced that running synthetics for extremely long periods makes sense. Where do all the pollutants go created in an engine that get past the rings. Running synthetics 30-40K miles seems like asking for trouble no matter what the manufacturers oil tests say! In a transmission, maybe! I guess we could take a oil used 30K miles and drop a nail in it as see how it looks a month later!!!!! (Smile)

In my "Beater" transportation cars I use Walmart Labelled 2000 Tech 100% Synthetic. It's pretty cheap for a synthetic and it seems to be working OK!

In reality, any "real, non bought off" scientist will tell you that it is impossible to tell about these products without highly controlled longitudinal tests which are extremely expensive to do and are rarely if ever done. There are too many variables to no for sure what causes engine wear and failure! I suspect the guarantees of products like Mobil 1 Extended Service are based on "you paying more up front" and Mobil rarely honoring the guarantee as related to the extra charge made.

I build Classic Cars like C1 Corvettes and 55-57 Chevy's. Those old engines need a break in oil with zinc and phosphorus to protect the cam, etc. when first run, but the additives in break in oils for oil iron cars supposedly mess up catalytic convertors in newer cars. Beware!

I have a 30 year guarantee on the roofs on three houses I own, but not one of the roofers is still in business!

Last thought: "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish in the lake, they have to catch fisherman in the sporting goods section!"

What's the Latin for "Buyer beware!"

Caveat emptor

It's the principle in law that a person who buys something is responsible for making sure that it is in good condition, works properly, etc. or the claims make sense! Ever see fast food that looks like what is shown on TV? Caveat Emptor... Dude... when buying oils, engine additives and fishing lures! (Smile)

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-30-2014 at 06:51 PM.