Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Castrol Edge

Old 01-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Caballus

Default Castrol Edge

Anyone have any experience with Castrol Edge? I'm a long time loyal Castrol user, and considering sticking with it for the GT350 I have on order.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My understanding is that Castrol is a name brand only, they don't actually make or refine any actual oil. Meaning, they have contracts with suppliers for oils that are made to a given specification per Castrol; they buy it, bottle it and then put it on a shelf at a store near you.

That's what I've heard about them anyway. Personally I wouldn't run it in a weed eater much less an $80K or whatever you're about to pay for it car.

If you like the price point of Castrol, there are much better proven oils available. I would suggest either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Ext Protection. If you want to spend more then Royal Purple HPS or Amsoil Sig Series.

Go do some looking around at bobistheoilguy.com, lots of quality info over there and you can see how they feel about Castrol.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:22 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
My understanding is that Castrol is a name brand only, they don't actually make or refine any actual oil. Meaning, they have contracts with suppliers for oils that are made to a given specification per Castrol; they buy it, bottle it and then put it on a shelf at a store near you.

That's what I've heard about them anyway. Personally I wouldn't run it in a weed eater much less an $80K or whatever you're about to pay for it car.

If you like the price point of Castrol, there are much better proven oils available. I would suggest either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Ext Protection. If you want to spend more then Royal Purple HPS or Amsoil Sig Series.

Go do some looking around at bobistheoilguy.com, lots of quality info over there and you can see how they feel about Castrol.
I don't think that's true, Castrol is part of BP or British Petroleum, one of the largest oil companies in the world. They certainly do pump, refine and formulate motor oil.

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporat...s/castrol.html
Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
I don't think that's true, Castrol is part of BP or British Petroleum, one of the largest oil companies in the world. They certainly do pump, refine and formulate motor oil.

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporat...s/castrol.html
Maybe I stand corrected then. The info I posted is something I recall reading on BITOG a while back which was posted in reference to the Castrol Edge debacle from years ago where it turned out that their top of the line synthetic was coming back with poor virgin and used oil analysis'.

And that's not to say that everything one reads at BITOG or elsehwere on the internet should be taken as indisputable 110% fact, but as far as motor oil and BITOG are concerned the info posted on that site is usually pretty reliable.