Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Fluid recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Ed Hayden

Default Fluid recommendations

I have a 2011 Mustang V6 which will be 5 years old in March. It's been trouble free although the MT82 manual transmission can be a bit notchy especially in cold weather. The car has about 27,000 mile on it. Since new I have changed the oil every 6 months and have used Mobil 1 5W-20 consistantly.

My question is now that the car is approaching 5 years with 27,000 miles, what fluid changes (other than the motor oil) should I be considering. Things like coolant, manual transmission fluid, rear end, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on fluid brands to use would also be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All fluids including brake fluid. I don't recall if 2011 has electric steering? If it's hydraulic, then power steering fluid too.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:43 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Five years/27k a little early for trans and dif-I would do the others.If you feel ambitious,then do them all.
Just the nature of the trans to feel notchy when cold.These aren't BMW smooth as butter units.A fluid change or special potion won't change that.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM
ATRAIS

I would absolutely change the fluid in the MT82 ASAP. Biggest bang for the buck mod you can do on these things, trust me. I highly recommend Amsoil as well, I did the "cocktail" that's recommend by a large group of folks on other forums and on Facebook which was 1qt Amsoil Synchromesh and 2 quarts Amsoil 75w90. Night and day difference in shifting.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:31 PM
mustang1984

I bought a 2016 Mustang a year ago with 32k on it and who knows what the previous owner put in it but I swapped out all the fluids using this page as a guide

https://www.searchforparts.com/oil-c...mustang-5.2l-z

Also, brake fluid as previously mentioned is a good idea. At the end of the day, it is up to you which brand you choose but I would replace all fluids with the best brand available after researching the quality of the fluid.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:05 PM
SalsPizza

Originally Posted by mustang1984
I bought a 2016 Mustang a year ago with 32k on it and who knows what the previous owner put in it but I swapped out all the fluids using this page as a guide

https://www.searchforparts.com/oil-c...mustang-5.2l-z

Also, brake fluid as previously mentioned is a good idea. At the end of the day, it is up to you which brand you choose but I would replace all fluids with the best brand available after researching the quality of the fluid.
That is awesome stuff. A friend of mine ran a pest control company with a ton of trucks. He was paying a fortune for maintenance on all of the trucks and the mechanic was barely after to keep up. The vehicles were on the road constantly so they would need frequent maintenance. He told me that he switched all of the engines, transmission and differentials to this oil and they were able to add even more trucks without stressing out the mechanic. Even though the oil was a little more than what they were putting before, the mechanic did less work and I think they were saving over $8,000+ in costs or something like that. My I have 2 friends with identical 2006 Dodge Chargers, other than the colors being different. Everything else being the same. Both of them came to my house for my wife's birthday. When they both left, I went outside with them. Each vehicle had 140,xxx miles on it. The one without the Amsoil sounded like a regular car with all of those high miles when he started the engine. When my friend who started the Charger where he used Amsoil since the car was brand new, his car sounded like a brand spanking new car when it ran. You could clearly hear the difference once the engines aged. Amsoil acted like an anti-aging thing for the engine. I've been using this oil religiously since I've seen all of this go on. I've yet to ever have to replace/overhaul any engine or transmission in any of my cars since using it. I used to push everyone to use Mobil 1. Mobil 1 ends up costing more and protected less. Castrol was even worse. Everybody buys those synthetics because they see constant ads for them. That's why I used to use them, too. After doing heavy research on that Amsoil stuff, I was sold. That stuff is solid! I saw that Amsoil made brake fluid years ago. One day I will have to try that out, too. Right now I'm just using their transmission fluid and engine oil/filter combo for now. My Ecoboost is loving that oil!

Good job with that!