Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Castrol Edge or Royal Purple for Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 PM
fearless0124

Default Castrol Edge or Royal Purple for Coyote

Hey everyone. I know there is a billion threads for oil debates. I have done extensive research and have narrowed my decision down to two. (Both in 5w20) Castrol Edge Extended Performance and Royal Purple. My last oil change I switched from the mototcrafts synthetic blend to Castrol Edge full synthetic (black bottle. It was from a lube shop so I believe it was the older version without titanium.). To me it is a night and day difference from the syn blend from mototcraft. But I want to upgrade a little further in protection and maybe extend my oil changed out to around 7,500 to 9k. Not many upgrades currently on the car. 2011 GT. Track pack Ford Racing exhaust. K&N filter and that's it. Just was looking from opinions and suggestions from actual users of the two motor oils. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Ford uses their synthetic in their new Voodoo engine and as far as I'm concerned, if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. What is your night and difference based upon? Ford recommends 3, 5, 7K between oil changes depending on how the car is driven.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM
fearless0124

Originally Posted by proeagles
Ford uses their synthetic in their new Voodoo engine and as far as I'm concerned, if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. What is your night and difference based upon? Ford recommends 3, 5, 7K between oil changes depending on how the car is driven.

​​​​​​I was having Ford change it at 3 with the motorcraft from Ford. I am trying to do the 7k with this Castrol edge (black bottle not titanium). But I don't think it will make it 7. Oil is turning darker and I have driven it across country. (Just has a motorcraft filter on it too). I would like to get it out to at least 7 with the new choice whichever it may be. About to start a school which will have me drive around 100 miles a day with possible stop and go driving and when not doing that will be quick runs and such. I don't baby it. But I don't reach higher rpms much either. But I would prefer to not have to change my oil every 3 or 5 k. And also receive the best protection I can get for my sparatic driving situations. My difference is probably mostly placebo effect. But I noticed what seemed to me to be a quicker and quieter warm up. And quieter engine idle. But. Maybe that is just me. Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You are the perfect candidate for which Ford recommends 7K easily. I have a 2017 Shelby and I chose the 5K route because I do a lot of just sitting in traffic here. She is my daily driver as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 PM
fearless0124

Originally Posted by proeagles
You are the perfect candidate for which Ford recommends 7K easily. I have a 2017 Shelby and I chose the 5K route because I do a lot of just sitting in traffic here. She is my daily driver as well.
Interesting. I have heard that mototcraft is a solid performer all around. So I guess I should research the full synthetic motorcraft if it's estimate is 7k (which I would continually check ). Thanks. I will look into it. Do you use a motorcraft filter ?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I only use Mobil 1 and swear by it.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fearless0124
Interesting. I have heard that mototcraft is a solid performer all around. So I guess I should research the full synthetic motorcraft if it's estimate is 7k (which I would continually check ). Thanks. I will look into it. Do you use a motorcraft filter ?
100% OEM, I can trust that it was actually made for my application. I used to use FRAM because they were the best name brand on the market until I found the one I was using on my BMW didn't have a backflow check in it to prevent the oil from draining out of the filter. My understanding was the reason for this valve in place was to prevent the pump from having to fill up the filter reservoir before moving oil to the already running engine. Been using OEM ever since.