Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

? about racing on a track

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Kick_Ass2k1
1st Gear Member

Default ? about racing on a track

I have a car that was slid into a pole sideways. It dented the door, pillar begind the door, and out a little crease in the door sill, I drove it for a while after that, till it was tine to get an inspection sticker, and then pulled the engien out, got a clean body, and now driving one with no dents. Now, my question is, if I were to put an engine back into that body, could I take it to the track and race it? Have it a track only race car? Someone told me that even race cars have certain rules that they have to abide by. THe door on the car is almost impossible to open, I figured I'd just take the glass out and put in a screen. Anyone know if the big dent in the side will make it not allowed at a track?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Jennings Racing
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ? about racing on a track

Best I can tell you is get the rule book for the kind of racing your going to do, and READ IT.The rule book will tell you if you can or can't.Some classes you can just bolt or weld the doors closed like dukes of hazard style.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Eyal 951

Is the frame rail effected? Post a photo.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Ferris B

You'll need to put a cage in it regardless. You won't want to race it if the frame's bent either. Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan, but as Jennings noted, read the rule book and abide by the rules.

Another option, rather than race it, is to track it during open track days. This will save you the cost of the cage too.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Either get it fixed/structurally upgradedor walk away from it - there is no middle ground when the issue is compromised chassis structural integrity.

Any kink in the chassis structure is exactly the sort of place that buckling failure is looking for, and hard cornering and the possibility (likelihood?) of hitting a curb with the inside front only increases the chance of something unpleasant happening. Actually, and with any luck at all, it wouldn't pass tech.

A car in that condition shouldn't even pass auto-X tech under the catch-all Section 3.3.4 Vehicle Operating Condition - "Any car that is judged by the event chairman to be in an unsafe operating condition at any time during the event shall be barred from further competition until the deficiency is corrected to the satisfaction of the Chief Technical Inspector".

Norm