Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Autocross Action Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross Action Pics

looks like a lot of fun. im just set up for drag racing though and would definately want a standard trans for that. I think it would be a blast and have raced dirt track before but I would be concerned of pushing it to hard and have to deal with the carnage issue. not my cup of tea with a new car. good luck with your future mods and getting that car dialed in
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Looks like fun. I was going to go to autocross last weekend but I couldn't make it and the next one isnt for a month.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM
PCstang05
2nd Gear Member

Hey Yanco. Did you happen to have those pics taken at Beaver Run? If so, I have seen you up there before. Me and my dad and my friend went up there early July for the PVGP weekend. We took our stang up but did not race or anything. I remember seeing a blue mustang like yours on the slalom course. Then after we left, we went to the gas station and parked right next to it while we got a drink. It's a small world huh.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
PCstang05
2nd Gear Member

Did Yonco die?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PCstang05

Did Yonco die?
Hope not. Probably out there trying out some new autoX mods.

There was a practice day a couple weeks ago, at QualComm Stadium again
(photos by "derektarv:

Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
auto_x5.0

Hey I just turned 15 earlier this year and really wantto autox. Is there any tips you guys can give me? I have a 1991 GT, I really want to run in ESP class.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
trophy hunter

Just leave the car alone and learn. No sense in learning on a $1300 set of tires IMO.

I too echo this response......although, to me and I believe a lot of other instructors, the reason to start on a "street" tire is more importantly to learn good driving (autocrossing) habits.
A good race tire (like a V710 or A6) will justhide a novice's bad habits. Will your times drop going to a "race" tire ?yes ~will your times drop even further learning to drive on a tire less forgiving when you make a mistake and then later progress to a race tire ? by leaps and bounds !

Next, I would also suggest not "piling on" a bunch of "mods".
Get use to the car in stock form ~ or as close as you can get it back to if you've already done some work. Once you feel comfortabe with the car in a stock(ish) state, add a mod, see what affect it has and go from there. Doing such, adding one change at a time, will help you better understand what affect it has on the car and YOUR driving style.......and while you'll have to check your pride at first, the benefits from learning the RIGHT way will pay off "10 fold" on your Mustang and ANY car you decide to run down the road.

Best of luck !
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
CMC#11

ORIGINAL: trophy hunter

Just leave the car alone and learn. No sense in learning on a $1300 set of tires IMO.

I too echo this response......although, to me and I believe a lot of other instructors, the reason to start on a "street" tire is more importantly to learn good driving (autocrossing) habits.
A good race tire (like a V710 or A6) will justhide a novice's bad habits. Will your times drop going to a "race" tire ?yes ~will your times drop even further learning to drive on a tire less forgiving when you make a mistake and then later progress to a race tire ? by leaps and bounds !

Next, I would also suggest not "piling on" a bunch of "mods".
Get use to the car in stock form ~ or as close as you can get it back to if you've already done some work. Once you feel comfortabe with the car in a stock(ish) state, add a mod, see what affect it has and go from there. Doing such, adding one change at a time, will help you better understand what affect it has on the car and YOUR driving style.......and while you'll have to check your pride at first, the benefits from learning the RIGHT way will pay off "10 fold" on your Mustang and ANY car you decide to run down the road.

Best of luck !
I agree 100%. Buying a set of racetires to act as a crutch for your car is a bad move and is alot of $$$.

When starting out, learn to drive the car as is and then improve on things as you go. You will learn much more on when the car will let-go w/ crappy street tires vs. race rubber.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Eight433
1st Gear Member

I would love to try auto-x, but i dont think there are many events around me (saginaw or flint michigan)

also, would i be competitive?
Ford Racing lowering springs (the super stiff ones)
poly bushings through whole suspension, control arms, sway bar, etc...
17x9 cobra r's with 255/40/17 summitomo HTRZII tires
Mac Cold air intake, shorty headers, h pipe, exaust, chipped, etc.
almost forgot, subframe connectors, and before i would actually compete, i'd have a front strut tower brace too.

the weak point i fear will be the AOD transmission...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
trophy hunter

ORIGINAL: Eight433

I would love to try auto-x, but i dont think there are many events around me (saginaw or flint michigan)

also, would i be competitive?
Ford Racing lowering springs (the super stiff ones)
poly bushings through whole suspension, control arms, sway bar, etc...
17x9 cobra r's with 255/40/17 summitomo HTRZII tires
Mac Cold air intake, shorty headers, h pipe, exaust, chipped, etc.
almost forgot, subframe connectors, and before i would actually compete, i'd have a front strut tower brace too.
the weak point i fear will be the AOD transmission...
I wouldrun one of the local SCCA events and ask around about other autocross clubs in your area. You should be able to get in the neighborhood of 20 a year if you're willing to travel a bit.....there a quite a few top drivers that come from the NE/N Central area.

As for the car, I believe you could run E Street Prepared (if not, then positively Street Mod). TheSFCs cannot connect together (touch) from the sides to middle and I'm uncertainif the chipwould be legal.......andin SCCA there is a"tire" class thatallows you to compete against other cars that are on street tires as well ~ each car is "paxed" (handicapped) based on what class their car runs in.

Would you be competitive ?
Assumingthat you would be just starting out, it's not likely.....just like in anything else, you have to practice to become good. seat time, seat time, seat time ! !
The springs could give you problems if not mated up with the right shocks and,depending onwhatsizes you're using, the sway bars could create an ill affect (too much understreer/oversteer) on the car as well. On the trany, IMO on the newer Mustang, while the autois great for 1/4 mile it's not the desired trany for autocrossing.....but would still works fine for the local level events.
......like I stated above, I would suggest going back to as stock as you can, learn from that point and add as you become familiar with the car.

Good luck, I thing that you'll really enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Autocross Action Pics