Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Autocross Action Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Eight433
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross Action Pics

thanks for the suggestions and info, but going stock is nowhere near an option. I built the car to handle, and handle it does. It rode/drove like a giant turd stock with a worn out suspension. Next year i'll be looking at some KYB AGX adjustable shocks though, or possibly strange engineering.
and maybe "competitive" was not a great word to use. comparable (as in equipment) may have been a better choice. Obviously i'm not looking to win an event, or even place, in my first couple events. More or less wondering if it would even be worth my trouble to show up. unfortunatly, i dont see much seat time in the future with as few events as i've heard of, and nowhere to practice really. i guess it will remain a pipe dream a little while longer.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

rodeo do you really like HP+ pads?? i HATE those pads! i put a set on my buddys STi and not only was gettin em on the car and "broken in" a bitch, but i didnt think they were that great around the track. I have baer brakes on my shelby gt and am goin road racin at MSR here in texas the 20th and am lookin for some really nice pads, but dont want to go with Hawks. any ideas?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
CMC#11

Are you running MSR Cresson or Houston? If Cresson, which track configuration? The new 1.3 mile track is super hard on brakes!!

I race with Performance Friction 01 pads and they are amazing!! I have also heard great things about Carbotech XP10's (I haven't personally used them though).

Are you going to be using your street rotors or a second set? You could have problems with your rotor surface when you switch back to your "street" pads.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

MSR Cresson i think, to answer your first question (friends are takin me). and I'm not possitive but i beleive me and my buddys are runnin the 1.7. thats what we ran last time and it was awesome! Thanks for the recommendation on pads, all my buddys have imports (STis, skylines, evos, etc) so I dunno if pads that are good for them are as great on a much heavier car. i think ill look at those performance friction 01 pads! yes i will be using my street rotors, i have run race pads on the street before and yes, its bad news on the brakes. i'm still unsure about how im gunna work that out. last time i just used my baer brake pads and they did alright and fad was pretty minimal (thank you brake ducts!). hit me up with a PM, last time i was the only mustang guy there and i felt like a freakin oddball! itd be awesome to run with another mustang brother.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 PM
trophy hunter

ORIGINAL: Eight433

thanks for the suggestions and info, but going stock is nowhere near an option. I built the car to handle, and handle it does. It rode/drove like a giant turd stock with a worn out suspension. Next year i'll be looking at some KYB AGX adjustable shocks though, or possibly strange engineering.
and maybe "competitive" was not a great word to use. comparable (as in equipment) may have been a better choice. Obviously i'm not looking to win an event, or even place, in my first couple events. More or less wondering if it would even be worth my trouble to show up. unfortunatly, i dont see much seat time in the future with as few events as i've heard of, and nowhere to practice really. i guess it will remain a pipe dream a little while longer.
Well, to answer your question on being "comparable" ~ locally - I'm sure you will be; divisionally doubtfully and at Nationals no. I say this becasue of the class you would need to run (I'm thinking ESP); the top drivers are Mark Madarash, Sam Strano and one other whowas driving an 98 SVT Cobra. Mark is in my neck of the woods (so you won't have toconcern yourself with him), Sam is now in F-stock running a Shelby for the next year or so and the other gentleman sold (or is selling his car) and won't be running ESP any longer.......so that leaves thedoor WIDE open in the NE. Now don't getme wrong, there are still some decent drivers around there, just not at the caliber of those mentioned above.
I say just give it a shot ~ youcuold alway startout in Novice class and go from there....it can be loadsof fun whenyou're competing againstsomeone in the same "situation" (meaning, new toautocross) as you.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Jennings Racing
2nd Gear Member

I run HP+ pads on mine and love them, plus I'm running crossdrilled/slotted rotors.They are just a little loudfor the street though,but I don't care just as long as they work go on the track.I've put about 10K miles on them with no problems.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

To the original poster... seat time is the #1 mod you can do in autoX. Trying to mod the car in your first few events won't do alot for you. Learn how to drive the car closer to its limits, because I guarantee that very few people actually find the limits of their cars on track.

Anyone can go fast in the fast portions of the track, the trick is learning how to go fast in the slower portions. Look ahead and pay attention to whats coming next so you can set yourself up for it.

As far as mods go, a good set of brake pads and sticky tires do wonders on a car. I am running Carbotech AX6's this year with my Faulken Azenis RT-615's. I like them alot better than the Hawk pads. Later this year, I'll be on some CCW Classics with Hoosier A6's andI may try to run their AX8 pads and see how that goes. I'm gonna try to be nationally competitive in ASP next year. I've got some stiff competition, but I'm just gonna give it a shot and have fun doing it.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
ShawnAlexander
1st Gear Member

Eight433, contact me about autocross in the Flint area. I can get you an event almost every weekend.

Shawn Alexander
shalexan@yahoo.com