Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

New Guy..hopefully not old questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Question New Guy..hopefully not old questions...

OK, so i am still a newcomer to mustangs, havent even had mine a year yet. I have been a fan for what feels like forever though. I am looking for any and all input here...
Im wanting to learn as much as i can about road coarse racing, because i would like to participate in it. I have a passion for "spirited" driving to say the least, and i feel the only safe outlet for that may be a road coarse. The issue is this, with my current career path, i am NEVER home on any sort of regular schedule. I am a traveling service engineer. I am not happy with the company i work for, but with this economy...well...my options are pretty limited. Im not even sure what im asking here, i would just like to know how much time, money, training, etc it really takes to run races. As much of a long shot as it is, i actually wanted to race for a living, but i just dont know enough or if that is even feasable without sponsors from the get-go. Sorry if im coming off as an idiot here, im just kind of lost and looking for options.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 PM
spicysushi

Hi. I'm a newbie to the forums as well, but have done a little racing. Firstly, congratulations on catching the bug! I have some questions for you, have you joined your regional or local SCCA or NASA? They offer excellent opportunities to get involved in Motorsports! I would also recommend checking out a school, i am partial to:

http://www.bondurant.com/

Best of luck to you in your racing adventures, It can be done on a budget!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

some good words of wisdom are to start out with auto-x and progress upwards. you learn SO much about car control in auto-x racing. i've seen guys who have road raced for years try and auto-x race and still be consistently slower than everyone else.

plus auto-x races are a lot cheaper to enter than a full blown road course.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

thanks for the tips guys, a friend of mine recommended auto-x to me just a few days ago. I guess i knew less than i thought...what exactly is the difference between a road race and auto crossing?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

auto-x will teach you things about car control you never even knew existed, road racing is more be smooth with the controls. auto-x is that, and be friggen fast with the controls too
Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 AM
spicysushi

The SCCA page here has all the info you would need. Road course races implies the need of a dedicated track of some sort, AutoX on the otherhand, can be set up in parking lots, airstrips, racetracks etc.
The course is laid out with cones and is very, very challenging. You can get an electronic copy of the SCCA rules and see what class you would be competing in. The best bet? Find one in your area, get a helmet and sign up! Try it once and you'll be hooked

Originally Posted by devongarver
thanks for the tips guys, a friend of mine recommended auto-x to me just a few days ago. I guess i knew less than i thought...what exactly is the difference between a road race and auto crossing?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
mart_markin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Hi. There are a few good clubs in Ohio depending on where you're located. Based on your signature, because of the blower, you'll be in Street Modified (SM) for SCCA Autocrossing. I am the 2008 ESP (E Street Prepared) Champion in the Ohio Valley Region in my '07 Mustang GT and would be happy to introduce the sport to you. I have also been involved in HPDE at Mid-Ohio. Not for competition purposes, just for fun. Legally hitting 140+ mph and then having to turn a corner is quite the experience!

Let me know if you want any other information. You'll get hooked!