Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Default O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

I just bought the MAC O/R H-pipe from AMP performance (yes thats right the god awful AMP performance that supposedely is horrible). Right when I got out some guy with a white cobra starts talking to me out in the parking lot. He says he just got pulled over a few days ago by a cop cause his car sounded to loud and they went under and checked for cats. He was running a High Flow H-pipe with magnaflows and they pulled him over for being to loud. So it made me question right after I bought it do I really want to take the risk of getting caught. I'm only 18 so If I get caught my insurance is gonna go up soooooo much. I'm just wondering is there a big performance and sound difference between the O/R and the Hi-Flow or will I be better off just going with the Hi-Flow and playing it safe?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:58 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

your insurance wont go up for exhaust tickets. its not a traffic violation.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Are you 100% sure that is the case in all states? Also if I did get a ticket because they found out I have no cats how much do you think that would cost me? My main concern was about if I get a ticket my insurance going up I dont mind as much just having to pay some money if they find out I have no cats.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

Insurance only ups for moving volations. Besides that cop must have been really bored or the Cobra guy have have been ripping the pedal. I go by cops all the time with my O/R pipe and the don't bother(knock on wood).
Old 08-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Anybody got any idea how much the ticket would be if they did catch me and would my license get suspended or anything like that?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

BTW, the cats are a federal law. They have to be on every vehicle that is on the road in the entire USA.

This is why I always say get a catted pipe, it's not worth the consequence if you get caught. Hell, I had a state trooper literally lay on his back and look under my car for cats...

Exhaust violations ARE moving violations, they are surchargable in all states.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

what happened to me was i was pissed one night and went by a cop at WOT and i had off road h and original 2 chambered flows and he pulled me over and he said i was speeding and he said my exhaust was to loud. so he checked under the car with a flash light and saw i had no cats so he wrote me a ticket for speeding and illegal exhaust and i was forced to get a mid pipe with cats and 300.00 ticket to boot and i through a way my stock h-pipe so to not get more fines i had to buy an hpipe with cats and i had to bring the off road h-pipe to them and they confinscated it. so i was screwed. so its better staying with a legal exhaust. probally cant notice the difference in power with out the cats anyway. youll just loose some sound and a little hp. but high flow cats will help with the power and sounder better than stock.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 PM
zennx
1st Gear Member

Look at it this way. If you get your car lowered, it will be harder for them to see what you have underneath, lol.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 92_LX_5_POINT_0

what happened to me was i was pissed one night and went by a cop at WOT and i had off road h and original 2 chambered flows and he pulled me over and he said i was speeding and he said my exhaust was to loud. so he checked under the car with a flash light and saw i had no cats so he wrote me a ticket for speeding and illegal exhaust and i was forced to get a mid pipe with cats and 300.00 ticket to boot and i through a way my stock h-pipe so to not get more fines i had to buy an hpipe with cats and i had to bring the off road h-pipe to them and they confinscated it. so i was screwed. so its better staying with a legal exhaust. probally cant notice the difference in power with out the cats anyway. youll just loose some sound and a little hp. but high flow cats will help with the power and sounder better than stock.

U have to be sh!ttin me! They confinscated it? They are illegal to run, not to have. I would think they would give you a fix it ticket. Thats your personal property!! How could they just take it? I paid like $370 for my Bassani X and f they want it thats exactly what they will give me for it. The law goes way to far sometimes.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:03 AM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

WTF state is that you live in? Sounds like Russia or something, they cant confiscate your property, get a lawyer and get it back thats bulls#t. In Pa any violation except speeding will not be reported to your insurance nor affect your rates, not sure about other states.