Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

OIL???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:45 AM
gt0389
1st Gear Member

Default OIL???

i saw royal purple oil today and heard that you can get some horsepower from it, its 5 a qt, does anyone know anything about it?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:09 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OIL???

dont use it!!
it basically just for racing. it is like the only oil that has moly in it. just run mobil 1, thats what i run or amsoil
Old 08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Wha Wha Wha!

I use it no problems the car loves it. 5W20 6 quarts every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I couple it with a k-n oil filter. I have been running it for over 20thousand miles now.

From the first time I put it in the car loved it.

Mobil one is a good oil to. I used it on everyother car I had, but when I got the stang I wanted to use Royal Purple. They are both good oils. I haven't heard much about Amsoil, but changing your oil once a year isn't for me. It is just basically wrong!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Heh, use it...switch to fully synthetic oil in your engine, tranny & rear; you'll free up a couple ponies.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:49 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The thing about changing to Amsoil is that you have to buy their flush kit... flush the engine out with it, then fill it up. Like SilverGTV8 said, changing oil once every year or 20,000 miles just isnt right, reguardless of what kind of oil it is.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:58 PM
gt0389
1st Gear Member

so how much does the flush kit cost?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You don't have to buy the flush kit.

Do the first oil change after 3,000 miles.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Back before I retired I got a free 5 gallon pail of Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil after I let the local salesman bring the company vice-president in to do a dog and pony show for us at work. Put my home address on the back of my business card and came home one day and there it was on the front porch. I had no qualms about using it in my Stang although it's a bitch getting oil out of a 5 gallon pail. I have used it in the Stang while it was still on the street and am still using it in the car now that it is strip only and have no problems recommending you try it too. Synthetic oils lower the internal friction inside the engine and this frees up some HP like you said, maybe 5 or so. They also don't break down as rapidly as petroleum based oils do and they have better additive packages in them too. I do agree that you shouldn't extend the change intervals out to a year as that's too long IMO, you need to change it to get rid of the contamination that the detergents keep in suspension and to remove the acids that form due to blow-by gases in the crankcase. I think I still have 1 or 2 quarts left in the trailer, so it looks like I will have to break down and buy some if I want to keep using it!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:40 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Im sorry, let me clarify. When I talked to the main office of Amsoil in Ga the woman said that if you dont do the flush and your engine messes up then they wont guarentee it. So take your chances.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:05 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Im sorry, let me clarify. When I talked to the main office of Amsoil in Ga the woman said that if you dont do the flush and your engine messes up then they wont guarentee it. So take your chances.

That is a bunch of bull, JD...you don't need to flush your engine to use Amsoil...I really don't know why someone would tell you that.

I use Amsoil and I like it very much...keeps the engine from wear and will give you a little more hp

Quick Reply: OIL???