Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Twin Turbo vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
s3cret_stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo vs Supercharger

I own a 2003 Mustang GT. Stock to the BONE. Ive saved up some money about...8 or 9K I could stretch it to 10. Ive looked into superchargers and ive looked into Turbos. Now I know some about cars but im definetly not an expert. The guys from HP performance were going to sell me a twin turbo kit, with stage 3 clutch, and all the guages, for 7,400 including shipping. The guy on the phone also told me a stock engine could take up to 500hp..didnt tell me how many pounds of boost that was. First off is this true, and am I risking a manifold crack or something even worse pushing a stock block to that pressure. I also looked into a Kenne Bell supercharger. For less than 6000 they were going to give me an intercooled supercharger 9-14psi along with an entire throttle body set. He also told me I would be running it at 9psi which would give about 380+ to the wheels anymore and i would be blowing somethin up. Now one I am asking if anyone has any advice on which one to go with. Or if I shouldnt put either in and start doing engine work to get my engine ready for some psi. I am a college student so I have to stay pretty strict with the budget. Also does anyone know how to put a supercharger or turbo in and tune it correctly? All of their prices are above a grand ive been trying to find someone that could do it cheaper. I live in the NJ area but I will easily go on a road trip.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Twin Turbo vs Supercharger

With that kind of cash, I would say HP Twin Turbo all the way. You spend the 7.4k on the kit. About 1.5k on forged internals which you will need. Your engine, stock, will not take 500hp. Then the rest you would put into suspension, tires, and a GOO dyno tune. At least in my experience, you will not need 1k to tune it. A turbo is complicated but I bought an SCT chip(330) and about 2 hrs on the dyno(200). You will prob. need more, but yes, you will need that 1k by the time you are done. Good luck. SOunds like an AWESOME project you have there.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

with that kind of cash, i'd say get a blower and all the supporting mods. 8k will cover the turbo kit, install (assuming you pay someone to do it), tune and only run like 400RWHP and just spin.

or

get a blower for about 3500, much easier to install yourself, $500 for a tune to run 400RWHP. that's 4k left for some control arms, springs, tires, hell, and enough to at least purchase a forged shortblock for more power later.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Contact Hellion.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM
s3cret_stang
2nd Gear Member

I dont know what Hellion is...and refering to Nanaki's post where am I going to get a blower that will give 400rwhp? I have looked at a couple Paxton, magnuson, Kenne bell so far the one with the most output that I found was a Kenne Bell and that one is going for 5k and at 9psi it will give 380 and with the upgrades it will give me that 400 number. If you have any recomondations for a supercharger I would like to hear them. Also the Magnuson is 5k and would add 125hp 130lbft but it also comes with a 3 year warantee on the charger and damage on my engine and transmission because of the charger. Also the guy at HP performance told me I could get about 450 rwhp with the twin turbo kit.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

No Hellion is a turbo kit company. They make complete turbos kits for mustangs. I would go with a turbo over a blower anyday of the week. Less engine stress and they are the ultimate sleeper.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

if your looking for pure power i would go with the turbo setup..trust me dont get a kenne bell and then regret not going with the turbo..you mine as well get it now then waste 6k on a changer then a year or so down the road you want more..always get what you want the first time..and btw check out some single turbo setups as well..twin dosnt always mean better....good luck...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Turbos whether single or twin> supercharger IMO. They are more expensive but well worth it. Dont just go by the manufacturers' numbers they advertise. You can turn up the boost on either to get more hp once you forge the internals.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

And I beleive HP Performance now sells built engines to handle their turbos that range from $2.3k-10k

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/engine_packages.htm
Old 11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

a vortech will get you 400RWHP easily at 10psi and a $400 boost cooler on a stock engine. it will still have enough left in it for more power later. you can even upgrade to the t-trim when your engine is ready for the punishment.

pro charger can get you 400-450RWHP with ease as well.

going with a supercharger can also let you get most of the major boltons if you don't want to order your block right away too. you can get full boltons, suspension mods and a blower and be well over the 400RWHP mark. turbo isn't worth it unless you're getting a built engine for it. seems like a waste to spend double the money for the same total power output on a non-built engine.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo vs Supercharger