Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Everything about Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 01:12 AM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

Default Everything about Superchargers

This has been discussed alot but if someone could summarize the description of Centrifigal, twin screw, intercooled, options and set the record straight on Eaton, Pro charger, Vortech, Ken Belle etc. it would be great, reliability, street vs strip, cost etc, thanks. How much PSI can a 4V and a 2V motor take? I need to beat an 04 Cobra,w pulley, cat back etc.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:33 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Everything about Superchargers

Centrifugal (Vortech, Procharger) - very efficient and produces alot of peak power, unfortunately though they make poor low rpm performers and more rpm + more throttle = more boost.

Eaton (on the Cobra) is a positive displacement and it will produce boost with little reguard to engine rpm, it kinda "pumps" the air into the engine but does so pretty poorly by comparison.

Twin Screw (like a Kenne Belle) is a posititive displacement as well, but kinda "compresses" the air in, and the blower unit acts like an air tank. Because of this it may act like an Eaton but is much more efficient and produces more boost at lower air temps.

An intercooler simple cools the temp of the air, as the more you compress air the hotter it gets, and the hotter the air the more space it takes up (means less air into engine) and the easier it ignites (meaning less timing and easier to detonate meaning readuced power).

I may have missed a few things, especially some finer details but thats about all I know. Im sure someone will chime in with alittle better explinations for some parts.

I chose my combo mainly because of price concerns. Overall if you can keep the engine in its powerband, with the lighter GT, you can outrun a pullied Cobra - I have on a couple occasions with ease. And... no intercooler here

A procharger is a self contained centrifugal that comes automatically with an intercooler. A vortech requires an oil pan tap for lubrication and does not come with an intercooler (gotta buy from another company or use thier crappy aftercooler).

In general, a centrifugal will make more peak horsepower but many people prefer a positive displacement blower on a daily driver because you don't have to be at high rpm's to make power.

And as far as a 2v beating a 4v 03+ Cobra with a pulley upgrade (hp wise)... well its not really gonna likely happen without running alot of boost which will require forged internals in that 2v. But, you don't need mad power to beat it if you have the suspension setup right and can out drive the heavier Cobra. I've seen a Vortech'd 2v with 378 hp lay down an 11.7 and I've seen a 505hp Cobra lay down a 13.1
Old 10-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Yep he pretty much covered all of it. With that said, if you want the best chance at beating the Cobra, then i would recommend a Kenne Bell with Drag Launch Springs.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:07 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

MD basically covered it all. Self contained lubricating systems aren't as good for long term durability, although they are alot easier to install. Twin-screw are usually the most expensive
Roots = low rpm power
Twin-Screw = low-mid rpm power
Centrifugal = high rpm power
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

That's the only thing I hate about my car.

They are so freakin heavy. 3600 lbs. There's also not much you can do to reduce the weight while keeping it a daily driver.

Like MD said, the weight and the driver will have a lot to do. I have seen timeslips of guys with 460 to the wheels run high 12's - low 13's on these cars.

I have also seen slips of guys with the same HP going mid 11's.

I would suggest finding someone with a KB/Eaton and Centrif. Take a ride and then decide what you would like best.

Todd
Old 10-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

RJM, get screwed. If you can possibly afford the KB kit, do it.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 AM
mstngfan

Check out the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine there is a whole section on supercharging. It is very informative.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

RJM, as far as how much boost a 2v or 4v can handle. For stock applications its universally acknowledged that 8# of boost is where you wanna be. It all depends on the tune but for safetys sake, 8# on a stock application is where you wanna be.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:52 AM
94BOOSTDCobra
2nd Gear Member

I have not had a prolem with my Vortech
Old 10-08-2004, 02:37 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94BOOSTDCobra

I have not had a prolem with my Vortech
Yes you have.