Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Twin Turbo’s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:46 AM
2002 Stang GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

ya thats exactly what i thought, i didnt believe him, hes tellin me he can show me it to, seriously though i think hes bluffin.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:34 AM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

Not only can it be done. I've seen it in person. We took a stock bottom end 350, threw on some world products heads and put on a 6-71 roots style positive displacement blower and had two t3/t4 turbos feeding the holley 850. This thing made 20 pounds of boost at 2000 rpms. To bad a rod went through the block at 3800. We were making 425 hp and 30 pounds of boost before she let loose. However this was on an engine dyno, not in a car. We had pvc pipe running everywhere! I would really like to build this type of motor in an EFI mustang. Like you said the torque curve on this motor would be very impressive. It would make power everywhere and would only be limited by how much air the roots blower could flow. Unless you could devise a way to bypass it at higher rpm's. hummm???
Old 08-11-2003, 05:09 AM
2002 Stang GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

i c, well he did say he can show me so maybe hes not jokin, he told me that its expensive as f**k to get it set up right and all the work that has to go into it.....well we will see...
Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Default Twin Turbo’s?

ok, now we know it can be done....but i really doubt it can be worth it. wouldnt doinganice twin turbo setup be more intelligent? i know that stang574 just said that one had twins, but i just think it would be more for show because it's got to be easier to just get better suited twin turbos, and you can still get low end by having a smaller one to spool up quick, and a bigger one for the high end. also....i still am finding trouble believing all that can fit in an engine bay.</P>
Old 08-11-2003, 02:29 PM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

Well the problem with any turbo big or small is the dreaded turbo lag. Roots blowers are designed to make instant torque way low in the rpms. This blower would help in two very important ways. First it would eliminate all turbo lag. The motor I dynoed made seven pounds of boost at idle. When reved boost shot up with no lag like a lunar rocket. Second having this extra power from the blower engine would allow the turbo sizes to be much larger than normal. This would mean you would be making serious power when they really got cranking. The torque curve for this motor would start high and end through the roof. The motors efficiency would be up too, since the blowers power is driving the turbos rather than ending up out your tailpipes.

Some problems I see arising are parts breaking (I could see 1000hp out of this motor), Cooling the intake charge (1 big intercooler, 2 intercoolers, nitrous??), Cost (a whole lota parts and a whole lota money). I don't think making it all fit would be too hard. The twin turbo capri on www.toohighpsi.com wasn't really that hard to put the twins in. Just slap the blower on top and hold on because this motor would eat just about anybody up.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Default Twin Turbo’s?

no. i dont believe it. and small turbos have virtually no lag, and larger ones have very little nowadays. it would be almost impossible to fit twins and a s/c in there. all the linkage and s**t, theres no way without a friggin 12 inch cowl. no. no. no.</P>
Old 08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

One other thing about this motor. Alot of people only talk or stress about peak power numbers. A term you might have heard before is "power under the curve". It means the power that is made everywhere else but a peak levels. This motor would have so much power under the curve. Thats why it would be the ultimate street motor. Roots blown cars make instant power but tend to run out of juice at higher rpms. Turbo motors are just the opposite. They make power up high. Now put them together and you got the best from both worlds. Personaly, I would also use nitrous to cool the intake charge. A twice blown, juiced, 408 in a Fox body! Now where talking.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:52 PM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

If you haven't looked at the website don't tell me it wouldn't fit. Besides Muscle Mustang put a friggin blown lightning motor in a fox body!! And even my body with a built Eclipse has some turbo lag. Or take a ride in a stock eclipse and watch his boost guage go from a vacuum to boost. I've never rode in a turbo car and felt the same off the line acceleration as a blown car. Even if you put a turbo small enough to almost elimante turbo lag it would be so limited on the amount of air it could put out that.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

Default Twin Turbo’s?

but have the small one just til the big one kicks in. it works chief.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:50 PM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo’s?

Yea, thats a good idea but, I see a few problems with the setup. First, the smaller turbo is going to be easier to turn. This means as the rpms increase there gonna be a difference in the exhaust back pressure between the two cylinder head banks as measured at the exhaust valve. This will cause each side to be making different amounts of power.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo’s?