Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Exhaust-Order Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust-Order Question

so say if im getting a completely stock 03 cobra, and i want the full exhaust put on it what exactly do i get and how much would it be? i know i want MAGNAPACKS and a X-PIPE, is there a certain order i get these things put on or all at once or what? if anyone could educate me on this that would be cool, thanks! (sorry i posted this here no one ever looks at the juice/exhaust section so i posted this here because it's dealing with a 4.6 cobra so i guess it could go here).
Old 10-23-2004, 10:00 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Exhaust-Order Question

Well if you want LT's and an X pipe you need to get them at the same time because LT headers use a Shortie X pipe. If you get the packs make sure you start a "to Loud to the cops" fund. LOL Also order them as a catback system and not just the mufflers themselves. A muffler shop will charge you just as much for welding a set of mufflers to a stock pipe as it would cost to buy the whole cat back and put it in them yourself.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:09 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Full exhuast is Headers, a mid pipe, and a cat back.

Headers - You must decide if you want long tubes, mid lengths, or shorties. The long tubes are the best performance option but also have a more difficult install and can be a pain with working on parts of your car. Shorties are not much better than the stock exhaust manifold maybe like 6rwhp on a stock GT. the mid lengths as far as I know are only made by bassani and are in the middle of the two others.

Mid pipe- You need to know if you want cats or not and it helps if you know what headers you are getting so you know what size mid pipe to get. If you are getting long tubes you need to get a shorter x pipe than if you are just running shorty headers.

You can do it all at once or a piece at a time if you want. Prices vary between companies and between the types of headers and such. Just about any company selling mustang parts will have a selection of exhausts to choose from. you can check out www.rpmoutlet.com as a start, I bought my magnapacks and magnaflow x pipe off ebay so you can check that
Old 10-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

when i order it as a catback system what exactly does that mean? and so i would be ordering 1. headers, 2. x-pipe, and 3. the catback which is the mangpacks? what are some good headers and x-pipe to go with the magnapacks on a 03 cobra?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:32 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

A cat back is the pipes that start after the cats on an x or h pipe, they then go to the mufflers and then all the way to the tail pipes. If you order the Magnapack catback it will include all the mufflers, tail pipes, and all the other pipes needed for just the catback. (so make sure if you order this that you get the cat back and not jus tthe mufflers).

Do you have to get emissions checks in your area?

if no, A good headers would be ceramic coated long tube headers and a shorty x pipe with no cats on it, (no cats = less restrictions on air flow which = more power). BBK makes some good long tubes I hear. I think www.rpmoutlet.com has a deal on bbk longtubes and the shorty x pipe with or without cats.

If yes, then depending on your state you may be stuck getting some shorties and a x pipe with cats. If this is the case, I hear JBA shorty headers are pretty good, ford racing makes some shorties also. If possible stick with ceramic coating. So if you get shorties you can get a bassani x pipe with cats or a magnaflow x pipe with cats. Bassani products are quite expensive so i would go with the magnaflow x pipe since they are about the same.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

wow thanks a lot beezy that helped out a lot, here in the bay area (san francisco) there isn't an emmisions really so i don't think it matters if i got the LT's, going off of that what should i get if i want an x-pipe with magnapacks? would you go with the LT's for the performance and i don't care if they are really loud.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:56 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes are your best bet for performance. They are difficult to install though so you will have to probally have a garage do it for you and i think it is a pretty long job 4-6 hours maybe? If I were to do long tubes i would personally go with BBK ceramic coated longtubes with the bbk x pipe with no cats
Old 10-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

no catbacks meaning no magnapacks?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

can anyone answer that one? please =)
Old 10-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

There are 3 sets of cats on a stock Mustang... one between the headers and the H-pipe.. one in the H-pipe... and one in the catpack exhaust muffler. In a non-emission state you will generally remove 2 or 3 of these sets.

You get a longtube header... this replaces the stock header and eliminates the cat between the header and the stock H-pipe.

You get an Offroad X-pipe to replace the stock H-pipe and cat. Offroad X-pipes don't have a set of cats in them like the stock H-pipes do.

And lastly you can get a new set of mufflers... most mufflers I know of are still catbacks though... maybe magnaflows aren't... the SLP Loudmouths and Magnapacks are.

Quick Reply: Exhaust-Order Question