Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Dry/Wet Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default Dry/Wet Nitrous

Whats the difference between dry and wet nitrous?

Also whats the point of purge valves, what do they do and are they more for looks or function?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:12 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dry/Wet Nitrous

dry only injects nitrous into engine, bumps fuel pressure to add more fuel through the injectors
wet injects a nitrous / fuel mix
purge gets the air outta the lines so you get more nitrous in
Old 10-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

I believe that dry nitrous is nitrous by itself, and wet nitrous has fuel added to the mixture and generally makes for better performance gains. Purge valves are probably the greatest things since sliced bread. They remove any air within your nitrous feed line to ensure that you get pure nitrous the INSTANT you activate it. Whats more important to me are its looks. A musclecar purging nitrous delivers a dont-mess-with-me-ill-rape-you-any-time-any-day message for little children and professional racers alike. Great way to ensure instant performance and makes for a killer show stopper. [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redline03GT

I believe that dry nitrous is nitrous by itself, and wet nitrous has fuel added to the mixture and generally makes for better performance gains. Purge valves are probably the greatest things since sliced bread. They remove any air within your nitrous feed line to ensure that you get pure nitrous the INSTANT you activate it. Whats more important to me are its looks. A musclecar purging nitrous delivers a dont-mess-with-me-ill-rape-you-any-time-any-day message for little children and professional racers alike. Great way to ensure instant performance and makes for a killer show stopper. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Half right.
second part= NO!!!!!!!!
Wet shot will not yield more power
Running Lean makes more power than running rich.

And it all depends on what you want to lay to the table and whatnot.
Wet kit's are good n everything, but Dry can do the same job.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:14 AM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

Redline explained it correctly, dry is usually for 5.0s that can increase fuel pressure through the computer as nitrous is injected, wet more common and recomended for the late 4.6s because it taps into a fuel line and adds gas as nitrous is sprayed or your car will lean out and go boom. Both are safe when installed correctly, the purge removes liquid nitrous that pools in the unused lines that would otherwise cause a bog at launch, you want it in its pure gaseous state from the bottle.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:36 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

ORIGINAL: Redline03GT

Half right.
second part= NO!!!!!!!!
Wet shot will not yield more power
Running Lean makes more power than running rich.

And it all depends on what you want to lay to the table and whatnot.
Wet kit's are good n everything, but Dry can do the same job.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
power comes from burning fuel, not air! the more fuel you burn correctly, the more power you can make in any given engine. the air is there just to provide the necessary oxygen to combust the fuel. a dry shot is only good up to the limits of the fuel system to add the extra fuel required to keep from running too lean and burning up the pistons. once you pass this point, which is about 50-75 HP on a normal 5.0, you have to go to a wet shot in order to provide enough fuel to keep the mixture from being way too lean!
and I thought you were finally beginning to understand all I've been trying to tell you too![:@]

and BTW, when you purge the lines, you are letting out gaseous N2O, not air! you want to remove the gas so that liquid is right at the solenoid ready to flash to the gas when the valve opens!

keep this up and I'll start a petition to revoke your mod privileges! LOL
Old 10-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
power comes from burning fuel, not air! the more fuel you burn correctly, the more power you can make in any given engine. the air is there just to provide the necessary oxygen to combust the fuel. a dry shot is only good up to the limits of the fuel system to add the extra fuel required to keep from running too lean and burning up the pistons. once you pass this point, which is about 50-75 HP on a normal 5.0, you have to go to a wet shot in order to provide enough fuel to keep the mixture from being way too lean!
and I thought you were finally beginning to understand all I've been trying to tell you too![:@]

and BTW, when you purge the lines, you are letting out gaseous N2O, not air! you want to remove the gas so that liquid is right at the solenoid ready to flash to the gas when the valve opens!
keep this up and I'll start a petition to revoke your mod privileges! LOL
So your saying an engine running RICH will make more power than if it Ran Lean?
Esplain that one.
Why do you think nitrous is being injected into the engine in the first place?
More oxygen to burn

I understand what i need to

And if you're running nitrous and purging and LIQUID is comming out...
That's one VERY low pressured nitrous bottle
Old 10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

I have heard that running lean makes more power than running rich, but whether or not its true is besides the point - you do NOT want to run lean. For your 5.0 i would recommend an NOS dry shot, which they have on their website if youre interested.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Not saying it's a GOOD THING to run lean
But running lean will make bigger numbers than running rich
Old 10-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

I want a 75 shot for my 1998 GT.... What would y'all reccomend?

Quick Reply: Dry/Wet Nitrous