Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

this setup sounds awesome

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

Default this setup sounds awesome

hey whats up everyone. well i would like to start off by saying i know jack shiz about cars, but i'm trying to learn in whatever freetime i have. it seems as if everyone recommends starting with the exhaust setup. well i went to that mustangexhaust site and listened to some sound clips just to get a feel for what i like. i didnt like too many of the setups, but then i heard this one and thought it was unbelievable. it was: catback - MagnaPack, x pipe - BBK catalytic X, headers - BBK Longtube and it was on a 2003 mustang gt. I would just like to know how much this would all cost, and how much hp gain i am looking at. i know that my "funds" are really low right now so i dont plan on doing this all at once. so which would be the first thing to do from this setup, and how much would it cost. i'm talking under $700 right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: this setup sounds awesome

It's going to run you around 1000 bux
And if you're getting the BBK Longtubes might I suggest an Offroad X pipe instead of the Catted one.
Since longtubes cant pass emmissions anyways.

But if you're going that route
Try the following, if not try to come VERY close to it.

BBK Ceramic Coated Equal Length Long Tube Headers($380ish-550ish)
BBK Shorty Offroad X Pipe($100-$150ish)
Magnapack Catback($370ish-$450ish)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

thank you very much, that was helpful. now in terms of emissions, doesnt that vary from state to state? like some states have emissions while others dont. i'm not sure if this is true or not. if it is i'm from michigan and if anyone knows what the law here is that'd be cool. also i know that this is going to be the BIGGEST newb question, but sorry i have to ask it because i'm just not understanding it through websites. and i'm sorry i asked it but.......can you guys explain what headers, x pipe and what a catback system ACTUALLY are. i mean i realize that they provide better flow and better sound, but i mean how do they do it. i always here that the gt has too many "cats" and its been bugging me to figure out how the whole exhaust setup works. i know newb question, but i asked it lol. finally how much will install run for the headers, xpipe, and catback, just a estimate. thanks for putting up with my newb questions guys lol
Old 10-26-2004, 05:55 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

Headers are replacements for the exhaust manifolds. They give you a good gain in horepower because they are a lot better flowing then the restrictive stock manifolds. headers are the first piece of exhaust that comes off the motor.

The mid-pipe or x-pipe or h-pipe is the part of the exhaust that connects the headers to the cat back. Its the center piece to the exhaust. The x-pipe is shaped like an x and creates a vaccume at higher Rpms thus creating more power to the top end. The h-pipe looks like an h and gives you more of a rumble and has more power and torque on the low end. The mid-pipe contains all the cats(catylic converter)

Cat-back is the last piece of exhaust. This part of the exhaust has the mufflers.

I think I covered your question. Do you have any more questions?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

thanks i understand it now. yea i actually do have another question, this is about emission tests. apparently when i went searching online i found this article http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...EWS19/40916011 . In this article it appears that those 8 counties wont have to go through emission tests, but does not list the 8 counties.

Then i found this article: http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/04...a01-124915.htm
Which does list the 8 counties, and mine is in there.

So my question is if i put the info from the two articles together, are they saying that my county will not have emission tests? and thus i can get the O/R x pipe, and long tube headers, and their will be no problem?

Finally why is it that long tube headers are better than shorties?

Again thanks for the help. And go Red Sox, starting in about 5 mins.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

Ask your mom or any of your friends who drive if they ever have to go through emmisions. I live in Tucson AZ and I have to go through emmisions but the is a very small city 15 mins from me that doesnt have to. Its very weard.

Long tubs produce about 15+ more hp then shorties. You have to pay for it though, they are really hard to install and if you pay someone its about 500-600 to do it. Plus they cost a lot more then shorties. Its very worth it IMO! They sound awesome!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i hear that alot, long tubes not emmisions legal, but ive seen a 84 camaro with aftermarket heads/cam/intake and alot more, it dyno'd at 350rwhp, but it has edlebrock long tube headers, and it passed just fine.... would lt's fail the sniffer? or just visual??
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

It wont pass the sniffer, it has to do with where to o2 sensors go into the headers.