Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
View Poll Results: A poll
NX- $512
17.65%
Edelbrock- $520
5.88%
Zex- $499
41.18%
NOS - $580
29.41%
DON'T DO IT
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Nitrous...

Old 11-02-2004, 02:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous...

nitrous is a power adder correct, but not a source of "forced induction" if that is what you meant by FI! forced induction to me means boost = turbo or supercharger
Old 11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Forced induction is "forcing" more air/oxygen into the engine. Which is all that nitrous does. So it is most definetely a power adder of the forced induction variety.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Sure is
Just doesn't use a Supercharger/Turbo's methods of doing so
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 AM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

4.6's require a wet kit. I don't think they even make a dry kit for 4.6 because it has a returnless fuel system.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:39 AM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

nitrous is a power adder correct, but not a source of "forced induction" if that is what you meant by FI! forced induction to me means boost = turbo or supercharger
I gotta agree with 4fit it does force mora O2 onto the combustion chambers, so it would be considered forced induction.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:41 AM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

In that case, you can't always tell with any form of FI
N2O Is the safest form of FI there is
Thats because you can turn it off. Can't turn off the rest.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

not trying to be but some argumentative now that the Presidential race is over, I still say nitrous is not forced induction. spraying nitrous just displaces normal combustion air which is only 21% oxygen with nitrous which has a higher % oxygen in it. it does not increase the manifold pressure one bit and the cylinder filling is still dependent upon the "vacuum" created by the cylinder going down on the intake stroke! forced induction implies a greater force mvoing air/fuel into the cylinder than the normal differential pressure between atmospheric pressure and the lower pressure present in a cylinder on the intake stroke.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:44 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

not trying to be but some argumentative now that the Presidential race is over, I still say nitrous is not forced induction. spraying nitrous just displaces normal combustion air which is only 21% oxygen with nitrous which has a higher % oxygen in it. it does not increase the manifold pressure one bit and the cylinder filling is still dependent upon the "vacuum" created by the cylinder going down on the intake stroke! forced induction implies a greater force mvoing air/fuel into the cylinder than the normal differential pressure between atmospheric pressure and the lower pressure present in a cylinder on the intake stroke.
We gonna nickname you "the professor" [sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

The "forced" in "forced indution" simply means that you are artificially forcing air into the engine. With a super/turbo, you are forcing actual atmosheric air into the engine. With nitrous, you are actually inducing a whole new atmosphere. Not only is it forcing the air into the engine artificially, but it is forcing artaficial air into the engine artificially.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:30 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

but your not "forcing" anything, or creating boost which is whats usually associated with forced induction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrous...