Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

X pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Default X pipes

Is there a big difference between o/r x pipe and the catted one? I mean in sound, is the o/r much louder than high flow cats. I'm getting the x pipe next week and I don't know if I should go o/r. The car is my daily ride so I don't want it to be annoying. In case you're wondering I don't have to worry bout emissions. I have my pick between Magnaflow, Bassani or SLP.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:08 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: X pipes

The catted X will be a little bit quieter than the O/R X and you will make a little more power without the cats because they are causing a little back pressure which the engine doesnt like. If I were you and emissions are not a problem as you say then I would definetly go O/R because first the power and secondly the cost of the pipe isn as great because you dont have to pay for the cats. I would go with Magnaflow. Ive heard SLP before and have had the chance to compare and the SLP really needs more exhaust to sound good on a 4.6 IMO. Such as some sort of FI. If you havent heard it already, I have a video of my exhaust floating around here. Take an ear to it and see what you think.

Gonna get flamed for posting this in so many different threads... LOL
Old 11-02-2004, 03:12 AM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Did you have to get mil with your o/r?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeap... you will have to get those eventually. Better to do it now than let the light come on and stay on.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, your right about the price. I can get the o/r for $320 and with cats it jumps close to $500.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:19 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeap. Go totally O/R... LT headers, O/R X and a magnaflow/pack catback. You will love life afterwards... even mre than now if anything. lol
Old 11-02-2004, 03:34 AM
yoshis99_cobra
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad someone posted this cuz I was having the same question about them. what type of headers are the best for the 99 cobras?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:15 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Long tubes.. BBK or MAC if you are on a budget. Get the ceramic coated also.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Are MAC's LT's worth the money? I don't want to realize that I got a piece of s**t. Have you heard of anybody with problems with MAC. Someone said that the LT's are going to heat up my tranny because of the closeness, is this posible. I have an AODE but MAC's makes a header for it. MAC says that the installation is not so hard, you have to remove the K member and lift the engine a little bit. I talk to a local shop and they charge me $425 for installation, is that good?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Thats a good price for installation and I have MAC LT's myself. They are worth the money. Like I said... 7 months and 20,000 miles and they still look brand new.

Also you have to either lift the engine or remove the K member. NOT both. The guys that did mine took the K member down and had the whole exhaust in in about four hours.

Quick Reply: X pipes