Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Pipes, Boost & Juice
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 183
Default Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

I think that is the right name Centrifugal Supercharger, the pro-charger kind. Anyways, I'm considering going super charged or turbo charged. I'm totally addicted to the blow off valve sound, and I love the idea of not having to get into boost when I don't want to. However, I already have a full exhaust system, and I'm not too crazy about having to hack it up or get new stuff. But either way, I still need to know. What is the benefit to getting the centrifugal supercharger over the turbo charger. And, considering i'm only really interested in about 500hp. Not much more if any. What is the best?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
Ford Racing LSD
MAC CAI
Mac LT Headers
Mac Catted H
H&R Race Springs
MM CC Plates
Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts
Eibach Anti-swaybars
17"x9"-10.5" FR500's with Kumho Ecsta SPT's
24KT Aztec Gold Paint
ajmodelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
SSKiller
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Vehicle: 99 Camaro SS M6
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,670
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

I would go with the turbo. Here are the reasons.

1. Awesome Blow off noise.
2. Adjustable Boost.
3. Non-parasitic power loss.
4. More street friendly.
5. More EFFICIENT

What more can you ask for?
__________________
99 SS M6

The Nitrous-ed Nigthmare I had something for you, now I have something better..............
SSKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member
 
luckythirteen13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Vehicle: 92 hatch
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 9,087
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

turbo is defenitely the way to go.
__________________
When the turbo spins, the bullsh*t ends

luckythirteen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
FoxGT
5th Gear Member
 
FoxGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Vehicle: unicycle
Location: United States
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to FoxGT
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Since when can superchargers not have bov's & not make the noise?
Regardless, turbo has my vote aswell.
__________________
Forced Induction & Engine Management Systems
FoxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,891
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

if you don't plan on getting your block built to take some major power, i'd save money and just get the pro charger. youc can use a BOV on that for the show-off effect that you want.
__________________
2004 Mustang GT - SOLD!

2009 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 - stock

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP - GMPP reflash

2007 Corvette - Boltons, Vortech, etc
nanaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 183
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

For those of you that have done it. What did it cost you to get an all forged bottom end. Also, can I still use my dual exhaust? or will the midifying of the headers screw that up? And final question, where do get all the turbo kit parts?
__________________
Ford Racing LSD
MAC CAI
Mac LT Headers
Mac Catted H
H&R Race Springs
MM CC Plates
Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts
Eibach Anti-swaybars
17"x9"-10.5" FR500's with Kumho Ecsta SPT's
24KT Aztec Gold Paint
ajmodelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Mike93SVT
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location:
Posts: 155
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

a forged bottom end won't do you any good if it's for a 302, but you didn't mention what vehicle it's for. secondly if you're asking these kinds of questions, and just want the sound, then don't do either for a while. you have a lot of studying to do and learn how each works. unless you are just gonna pay someone to do all the work. even then, nothing is a bolt on, there will be issues that will come up. check out turbomustangs.com and you can learn about everything tubocharged there. good luck!
__________________
Mike93SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
SSKiller
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Vehicle: 99 Camaro SS M6
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,670
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FoxGT

Since when can superchargers not have bov's & not make the noise?
Regardless, turbo has my vote aswell.
Um........I knew the statement would spur your interest FOX....haha feel into my plan.

It is not the norm for a supercharger boost by pass valve (I know it is the same as a BOV ha) to sound like a turbo set up.
__________________
99 SS M6

The Nitrous-ed Nigthmare I had something for you, now I have something better..............
SSKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
FoxGT
5th Gear Member
 
FoxGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Vehicle: unicycle
Location: United States
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to FoxGT
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SSKiller
Um........I knew the statement would spur your interest FOX....haha feel into my plan.

It is not the norm for a supercharger boost by pass valve (I know it is the same as a BOV ha) to sound like a turbo set up.
Can't argue with that. Still makes a sound though.
__________________
Forced Induction & Engine Management Systems
FoxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 2,616
Send a message via AIM to Zoie_daGT
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

I like turbos more but, if you are looking for reasons to go supercharger....

They are cheaper to do and adequet.

Other than that, I would say turbo if you are willing to spend the money.
__________________

1996 Mustang GT

She is RUNNING again!!!! not a moment too soon.
Zoie_daGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 628
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

I think that is the right name Centrifugal Supercharger, the pro-charger kind. Anyways, I'm considering going super charged or turbo charged. I'm totally addicted to the blow off valve sound, and I love the idea of not having to get into boost when I don't want to. However, I already have a full exhaust system, and I'm not too crazy about having to hack it up or get new stuff. But either way, I still need to know. What is the benefit to getting the centrifugal supercharger over the turbo charger. And, considering i'm only really interested in about 500hp. Not much more if any. What is the best?
Well,if you were looking to get themost hp out of your car I would say turbo... they are more efficient and will give you the most hp…but you have to look at what your goal is. If you only want 500hp and don't particularly want to mess with your exhaust a s/c would be the better choice. Either way you are going to have to build up your engine a bit to handle 500hp but a s/c will be cheaper, you won't have to change any exhaust parts, and you can easily see 500hp+ with one. Everybody always looks at the system with the most possible etc... but most never even use the full potential of the cheaper model. For your goal.. go with a s/c it just makes more sense.
shadowfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Vehicle: Street car: viper srt10 coupe, 505 ci
Location: surrounded by women (at least at work)
Posts: 1,199
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

I have the Procharger. It may wellbe that a turbo is better...don't know that much about FI. You should research both s/c and turbo with equal vigor. But the Procharger does produce good power, is very upgradeable, sounds like a jet engine and has loud blowoff noise.

View the link for a very short test drive from last week after a dynotune. Ripping through 1st and 2nd takes less than 3 seconds now.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=streettest1.flv

forensicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
HnRMustang_00
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

ok im tryin to do the same thing...what kind of mods would i have to do to my engine for it to handle that kind of power or would it be fine with just minor mods...or even none at all???
HnRMustang_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 2,317
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Really just arguing costs....a procharger isnt all that much cost worthy. A decent kit anyways, like a ATI unit will run you almost 5+ grand when its all said and done and if your not putting it on yourself tack on some more. A Hellion kit is around 6,500 i believe havn't looked inawhile and it comes with pretty much every nut and bolt you need to put it in. A procharger kit isnt going to include your injectors and everything else, just the supercharger kit. I believe, but may be mistaken, the hellion kits lnclude a fuel pump, injectors and MAF. Plus it keeps your air conditioning.

But either way you go your still going to have it tuned. Thorwing a S/C or a turbo on a car with no extra tuning is a kinda stupid thing to do in any case, i dont care if your only running 5psi or 50. You need to have it tuned and thats going to cost money to.

Plus there isn't a point in putting forged internals into your stock block. Spend the money elsewhere. The stock insides are stronger than the stock blocks. There was a guy on turbo mustangs.com who made so much power with a MP T-70 and had like 130 passes or something like that on a stock long block, he finally turned the boost up to around 20psi and ran it about 10 passes on that.before hefinally bent like three connecting rods. But he didnt really care, it was a stock motor, he pulled it and replaced it with another stock motor. But the point everyone on the site was amazed about is his block didnt crack before the rod bent, its extrememly rare a rod or piston breaks before the block unless your a dumb *** and trying someting stupid. Theres guys on there makeing 600hp on stock long blocks, they might only last about 50 passes or less though, i think the record is like 300 passes or something before a block failure. Check the 'castastrofic' failure section on the site. They give complete lists of their mods, tunes etc and how many passes/ street miles they had on their engines before they broke.
__________________
1988 Notch. 306, 150NO2, AFR 185's, F-cam. 11.68@124mph.
1985 LX hatch. 69' 302 block, stock internals, MPT70, Megasquirt II, 42# injectors, C4 w/reverse manual/brake. Its a project in process......looking for mid-10's though.

88stangaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
s3cret_stang
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang GT
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 430
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Really just arguing costs....a procharger isnt all that much cost worthy. A decent kit anyways, like a ATI unit will run you almost 5+ grand when its all said and done and if your not putting it on yourself tack on some more. A Hellion kit is around 6,500 i believe havn't looked inawhile and it comes with pretty much every nut and bolt you need to put it in. A procharger kit isnt going to include your injectors and everything else, just the supercharger kit. I believe, but may be mistaken, the hellion kits lnclude a fuel pump, injectors and MAF. Plus it keeps your air conditioning.

But either way you go your still going to have it tuned. Thorwing a S/C or a turbo on a car with no extra tuning is a kinda stupid thing to do in any case, i dont care if your only running 5psi or 50. You need to have it tuned and thats going to cost money to.

Plus there isn't a point in putting forged internals into your stock block. Spend the money elsewhere. The stock insides are stronger than the stock blocks. There was a guy on turbo mustangs.com who made so much power with a MP T-70 and had like 130 passes or something like that on a stock long block, he finally turned the boost up to around 20psi and ran it about 10 passes on that.before hefinally bent like three connecting rods. But he didnt really care, it was a stock motor, he pulled it and replaced it with another stock motor. But the point everyone on the site was amazed about is his block didnt crack before the rod bent, its extrememly rare a rod or piston breaks before the block unless your a dumb *** and trying someting stupid. Theres guys on there makeing 600hp on stock long blocks, they might only last about 50 passes or less though, i think the record is like 300 passes or something before a block failure. Check the 'castastrofic' failure section on the site. They give complete lists of their mods, tunes etc and how many passes/ street miles they had on their engines before they broke.
Well with the mods listed below I am running 405rwhp and 430rwtq, which I think it translates to almost 500hp at the crank. My Procharger kit which included fuel pump, injectors, all the fittings, new tune,etc, the complete kit was barely over 4000 and I got it from Texashotrods brand new. It can actually be cheaper if you get the list of all the components and buy them seperatly...or so I heard..but I was too lazy for that.

And yes it does sound like a jet, and has a mean Surge valve, but I actualy wish it didnt sound that loud, it doesnt take too long for everyone to figure out you have a SC. I was very close to getting a turbo setup, but I dont really see having my block rebuilt in the near future so I wouldnt use it to its full potential and be spinning my tires even more than I do now.

Oh by the way you can tell procharger what you have done to your car as far as the exhuast system on the phone before you get the kit and they will tune the chip they give you for it, pretty sweet. Procharger made me very happy except for the stock intake actually....melting...get a powerpipe...trust me.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT
Old best 12.01 @ 118MPH 8psi with regular ol street tires.

DSS Racing Block
Procharger P1SC @ 12#, Lakewood 50/50 + 90/10s, Molly Upper/Lower CAs, Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft, MAC LTs+Catless H-Pipe+Catback, MSD Coil-Ons, Centerforce DualFriction Clutch, BBK 78mm TB, AFM PowerPipe
s3cret_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
393Bird
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clarksville Tn.
Posts: 177
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

I was going to do a Turbo on mine, but ended up doing a SC instead. It is almost completed, and should be road ready in 2 weeks. This is not a Kit, so it did take some fabrication and mods to fit correctly. This is a Vortech YSi, to a carbed 393.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Blow Off valve is sitting on the shock tower, and will be installed this week, and vented to under the fender.

Full Details: http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/sup...gerinstall.htm
__________________
1993 Ford Thunderbird, 393 Stroker, Vortech YSi on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 3,500 stall speed converter,Detroit Locker
Full Details: http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/

393Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 8,439
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Centrifugal is cheaper! I love my Paxton.
__________________

602hp/481tq
2012 GT 5.0 6M (Brembo/3.73)
-Tuned by Ken Bjonnes of Lund Racing
-Paxton 2200SL
-ID1000 injectors
-FRPP plugs
-Roush Axlebacks
-UPR control arms
-Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials (track)

Http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/
Http://www.lundracing.com/
Http://www.revanracing.com/
92hatchLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
Sap
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,181
Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Turbo :
- Expensive if a Kit
- A lot of Fabrication of Exhaust tubing if not a kit
- No Parasitic Loss so More power
- Turbo Sound, blow off valve
- Fewer "complete" kits

Supercharger (centri)
- Cheaper then a Turbo setup generally
- No Fabrication required, just bolt on and go
- Lots of complete kits to choose from
- Supercharger sound, Rush of air or flutter from Bypass Valve
- Parasitic loss, less power then a turbo

E.
__________________
2003 DSG - GT. Modular Powerhouse Mongoose Kit, FMIC, Exhaust - 400rwhp on 91 Octane
Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2011, blow, boost, centrifugal, flutter, fox, mustang, stock, supercharger, superchargers, turbo, untuned, valve, vs, ysi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eaton M112 Roots Supercharger Vs. Procharger Cantrifugal Supercharger red02mustang V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 14 06-17-2009 07:47 AM
turbo vs super charger My Eleanor 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 22 03-25-2007 09:00 PM
Turbo VS Supercharger I dont know what I want outlaw82 Pipes, Boost & Juice 32 11-09-2006 12:43 PM
Turbo vs. Supercharger gtboy2k 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 22 02-13-2006 10:56 PM

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup