Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

nope leaving the maf where it is for now. dont really wanna bov... if you couldnt tell I am going for the sleeper (or however much of a sleeper a gt can get, but it seems like the sohc 4.6 is underrated a lot these days), and I actually am getting some notice from others on town, my buddy said theres people posting stuff about me on a local forum lol. saying i think its supercharged but nothings done to it so I dunno haha.

no battery relocation at all. my piping comes nowhere near the battery and it has plenty of ground clearance.

here take a look ahaha, got my pics of the finished front now. i know the bumper flares down a bit but ill fix that by either trimming it or moving it up somehow. but i had to slap everything on there to get home in time for school so i gotta do stuff as open time comes.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

very nice fella. yeah, my car has a nice sleeper look to it. til you start it and hear the blower and the entire car shakes from the heads and cams. i may have to get down on a DIY intercooler. i'm assuming you didn't even have to lift the motor out either. after i get my fuel system in this month, i don't really want to trust 600+RWHP to just meth.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

oh hell no to lifting the motor out lol. it was easier than installing the supercharger imo. it was not bad at all. like i said i enjoyed it. all it is is some cutting bolting and then routing piping, only place that needed to be cut for piping was the passanger side for the pipe to run down to the intercooler, theres a pic above. other than that, everything else just routed nicely, bought the piping kit and had to cut a few but in the end it wasnt bad at all. once i get it all cleaned up with a lighting iat and clean up my hoses and all, I will post up more pics of under the hood complete. it was not bad at all and i highly recommend doing it, its pretty gratifying too fabbing your own stuff. just dont do all of the cutting with a dremel and it will save u lots of time hahah after i ran out of the badass reinforced cutting wheels i had to do it with the regular ones... i dont know how many i broke/wore down and had to change. hahaha but where theres a will theres a way I tell u. worked out good in the end
Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

could you tell us how much of each piping that you used and couplers. like 2 - 75* elbow, 2 - 90* coupler etc.

thanks !!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'm tempted to get one of them kits on egay and try this out. i'd like to make it so i don't have to do any cutting and chopping up of the car though
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

that looks great. I cant wait until my piping comes in and I can get started on mine. Arent you supposed to bolt the I/C to the top of the bumper support though? Doesnt look like its up far enough. Im the same way though. Ill just get it on there first and fix it later...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

I like it mounted right where it is... It could be up higher but I don't want a different bumper and u need air to flow across the core otherwise it doesnt do a whole lot. right now the inlet in the bumper (which has a flap on each side to funnel air, youll see what im talking about) so all of the air that enters there has to flow right through the middle of the core for good cooling. if i had a diff. bumper i could mount it higher but thatd show it off more and I don't really want that since its somewhat of a sleeper car, hence why i got the sq which is the quietest of the vortechs.

I'm pretty sure its-(ill double check)
3 straight pieces of piping. 4 if u include the little 6 inch on on the intercooler to extend it out to make the bend
2 of the 90 ish pieces of pipe-both coming off the cooler.
1 45 degree pipe cut short (this is the pipe connected to the TB)

7 straight couplers
1 90 degree bend coupler
1 45 degree bend coupler

I also have the smaller coupler on the discharge side still on the vortech. I cut it real short and shoved it all the way on the blower... doesnt hang over. and then clamped the 3" coupler on there. u will need a coupler that downsizes from 3 to 2.5 to use only one coupler if u have 3 inch pipe.

Now. also when doing this depending on how your setup is now. I have the iac in the pipe right before the TB. pics to come. but I bought a lightning iac because it is threaded and you can tap that pipe and install it so it doesnt leak. that is what i am working on right now. my bypass is also hooked up to that , i just made a small hole and stuffed the hose in there, im getting a bung welded within the next few days, ill have pics of that all when its done too. and its getting tuned at brenspeed on the 27th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

thats the exact kit i bought. if u need 2.5 the same seller has 2.5 also. it wasnt a bad deal and I still have like 3 extra pieces left over.
really?!

could you send me the pics of what you have left over, I might be able to use them and send you some $$!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

This is a little off-topic but I havealways wondered, how do you setup a BOV with a supercharger?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

any finished product pictures with the boost pipe and bypass valve attached?

Quick Reply: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!