Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

i just talked to the boys at my local speedshop about these DIY rigs. they told me to give pro charger a call and i can get the piping for a couple hundred bucks. this way it's made for my motor and i won't have to do any fabbing. think i may have to look into that
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

I like it mounted right where it is... It could be up higher but I don't want a different bumper and u need air to flow across the core otherwise it doesnt do a whole lot. right now the inlet in the bumper (which has a flap on each side to funnel air, youll see what im talking about) so all of the air that enters there has to flow right through the middle of the core for good cooling. if i had a diff. bumper i could mount it higher but thatd show it off more and I don't really want that since its somewhat of a sleeper car, hence why i got the sq which is the quietest of the vortechs.
Well it is better for cooling, but I would just be worried about scraping the bottom of the I/C on the street. My bumper has scarsunderneaththere from who knows where.

Im thinking about doing the same thing with adding flaps to direct air into the I/C
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

sweet! pro charger sells all the piping and everything needed for an intercooler for $350 out the door.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

all the piping and everything needed including the intercooler itself? or + the cost of the actual intercooler?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

that's just the piping by itself. but you can get that piping, then get an intercooler off ebay to go with it. the piping from pro charger is already cut perfectly for a centrifugal blower on a 4.6. you won't have to do any custom rigging to get it installed and run.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

too answer some questions here
1. yes i can send u some pics of the piping. but its only like 2 pieces haha.

2. I'll have pictures of the under hood intake, but like i said I had a test today and im going to get my iat sensor right now from the dealer. I have an internship interview and hafta make the 400 mile journey home this weekend and it wont be in my car so itll be after the weekend til I have complete finished pics of all that.

3. and I didnt add flaps they are already there installed by ford from the factory

4. ya I coulda got the custom piping but for 90 bucks shipped I couldnt beat the ebay piping. especially cuz i only had to cut like 3 pipes tops.

5. I don't have my car lowered so thats another factor that lets me mount it like it is. but I dont hardly scrape my bumper at all, if i do its from pulling up too far to a curb or something. which I am much more aware of doing now lol.

ohh ya and it goes up to brenspeed the 27th to get tuned and dynoed!!!!!!!! so ill have some numbers and it'll be tuned well. then to the track for new numbers haha. w00t!!! im excited
Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Nice work man. I've been researching diy kits myself. You should take more pics once you get that bumper unflared. Looks kinda strange.

What brand of intercooler did you go with?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
My Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

mmm pretty.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Triisomy21

Nice work man. I've been researching diy kits myself. You should take more pics once you get that bumper unflared. Looks kinda strange.

What brand of intercooler did you go with?
oh ya i will def. get more pics once thats finished. I just got one off of ebay. should be plenty good for me, im not shooting for like 600+ hp or any crazy **** like that so it should flow good. I have a carshow for our car club to attend saturday so everything will be fixed up by then for sure ... oh ya i actually got on it today instead of ***** footing it into boost and i guess it isnt that far off for a/f it was in the 11's so thats all good, but i didnt have enough road to boost for a long time. plus im loosing a bit out the iac hole until i get this new one i picked up installed.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Hate to break it to you, but thats not a very efficent intercooler you have there.
would have been MUCH better if inlet and outlet ports were not lined up both on bottom

Its better to have one on top and one on bottom.

The way you have it, the air is only using the bottom half of
the intercooler and bypassing alot of the top.

sorry, dont mean to bash. just offering some advice.

Quick Reply: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!