Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

Default DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

well after many hours of work (although I feel it was a very fun install personally), pissing around with piping and cutting my bumper support and another hole in the fender well.... with a Dremel.... It's on! complete finished pics to come, my camera ran out of F'ing batteries and its too late to take pics now. I gave her a very very small amount of go pedal on the way home and it started goin lean so I can't boost it w/out a tune now.....but I'll get that fixed very soon and after i install my 75mm tb/plenum that gets here tomorrow.

If anyone has any questions or wants me to do a write-up of my install just lmk. I see there is already a sticky on IC installs so I didnt waste time typing everything out but if you need details lmk.

here are some pics.. I will add the completely finished pics tomorrow

MMMM.... pretty

here's how you get from this:

To THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you have to cut your bumper support there.... with a dremel and cutoff wheels it takes a good amount of time LOL!

ZOMG the snail moved to shoot air downward!!!!!

arbitrary piping routing pics.

Ya thats a hole I had to cut..... And yes it somewhat saddened me to cut holes in my car....until it was all bolted up. pipes got a bit scratched but hey, air still moves through them so I could care less...plus all others need to see is taillights not my intake piping right?

ya so its not mounted perfect... but u can't tell with the bumper on so who gives a ****!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!

Very cool, now swap pullies, get a tune and cook some tires =)

E.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

very nice work. how much did you end up spending?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

for everything right there... not including my boost pipe and the couplers im gonna replace.... like $250 bucks and lots of time lol
Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

where did u find all the piping and rubber couplers you used... because I need to extend my intake from dragging on the ground to up into my fender.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Int...QQcmdZViewItem

thats the exact kit i bought. if u need 2.5 the same seller has 2.5 also. it wasnt a bad deal and I still have like 3 extra pieces left over.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

how long did it take you?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

hmmm. I'm gonna estimate around 6-8 hours or so.... give or take, It was a 2 day leisure project so it was on-off sort of deal. unbolt some stuff. do some cutting. go eat easter dinner. work more then go inside for an hour or so to rest.... so it was hard to keep track of, but maybe 6 hours of total work. now if I would have had a torch or angle grinder w/cutoff wheel. it would have taken significantly less time, keep in mind I used a dremel to cut all that **** out lol. bumper support took a long time to cut. had to cut some pipe too. because re-clocking the intercooler is just cut an allen key down and undo 6 bolts,turn the s/c and bolt it back up. piping really wasnt too long. my buddy was helping me out doing the discharge side so it didnt take long. but he only helped about half the time of working on it so it was mostly only me since he had work on monday and I had no class.

If you had the right tools for cutting and worked hard (we were drinking beer pissing around most all the time because thats a necessity to work on vehicles and have fun doin it) it probably wouldnt take more than 3-4 hours tops.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you have a battery relocation i'm assuming? 8 hours isn't much at all really.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 PM
97tunedmustang
2nd Gear Member

very sexy. i think im going to do this myself as well. did you leave the maf on the intake side of the supercharger or you going to move it to a blow through, that way you can run a nice bov

Quick Reply: DIY Intercooler Finished!!!