Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Installing Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Richman
1st Gear Member

Default Installing Supercharger

Would it be possible for someone who knos very little about engines to complete the task of installing a supercharger. Does it require lots of skill or if i follow the instructions is it a breeze. Any one with expierence with supercharger's please leave some info.,
Also does it require alot of specialized tools.

Maybe a Vortech
Old 08-17-2003, 12:23 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Is it possible to install if you know how to turn a wrench? Yes.

But that doesn't mean it'll run. You need to tune it, which you apparently should NOT do.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Richman
1st Gear Member

im handy with a wrench but dont know anything bout engines, Is it hard to tune or can i bring it somewhere???????
Old 08-17-2003, 01:58 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Take it to a place with a dyno.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:37 PM
BLOWN91VERT
1st Gear Member

To install a supercharger you do not have to have it dyno tuned. All kits are designed to bolt right on without any trouble. Once you've done other mods a dyno tune will help extract a bit more power as you would be outside the stock computers parameters to run efficiently. I installed a Vortech on my 91 and it was very difficult to install. I've rebuilt several motors and have done tranny work. Tapping the oil pan is enough to scare me away from doing it again. A kit like Powerdyne or ATI's new self contained unit should be easier to install. The reward of firing it up after installing a blower is well worth the effort.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:47 AM
stang574
2nd Gear Member

Getting the blower installed is just the start. There's things like upgrading your fuel system and your ignition system that also has to be done. I'd definetly take your car somewhere and make sure it running at its optimal air/fuel ratio, timing is being pulled out at the right time, and usually the stock fuel maps are not sufficient enough to respond to the blower install(a chip will help there). So after spending the money on a blower I'd definetly want to maximize my engines power.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:54 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

no tune..*L* your living in danger. One day you hear that rattle and boom! always tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 04:37 PM
BLOWN91VERT
1st Gear Member

You guys are scaring this guy way too much. Come on, no one needs a full dyno tune for a blower install. Every kit comes with a fuel pump pusher and some style of FMU (fuel management unit). Vortech's also come with a MSD timing boost control. What else do you think you need for that? When you go full out with big injectors (ie-30lb and higher) and long duration camshaft then you need to worry about tuning. I run 91 pump fuel with factory timing no problem. You can't get stupid with it and over rev or beat it up but it's fine for daily driving. My advise to Richman is read the install instructions, check out some websites and you'll be just fine. Leave the dyno tuning for the guys running the big numbers.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BLOWN91VERT
You guys are scaring this guy way too much. Come on, no one needs a full dyno tune for a blower install. Every kit comes with a fuel pump pusher and some style of FMU (fuel management unit). Vortech's also come with a MSD timing boost control. What else do you think you need for that? When you go full out with big injectors (ie-30lb and higher) and long duration camshaft then you need to worry about tuning. I run 91 pump fuel with factory timing no problem. You can't get stupid with it and over rev or beat it up but it's fine for daily driving. My advise to Richman is read the install instructions, check out some websites and you'll be just fine. Leave the dyno tuning for the guys running the big numbers.

Well said. For the street man, all you need is a few guages and a friend or engine builder with the know-how and you'll be safe.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Gunner
1st Gear Member

go to vortechsuperchargers.com...they have a FULL install online if ur not getting a new one (they obviously come with one new)

Quick Reply: Installing Supercharger