Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

wtf an electric supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 05:41 PM
ZxRx7

Default wtf an electric supercharger!

Originally Posted by FiveOhNo

the idea of the electric supercharger is a waste of time. i had a turbo 280zx. stock they ran 6psi. to make that 6psi, the turbo had to spool toaround 70k-80krpm. and that was just 6psi. there's no way an electric fan is going to spin that fast and still be big enough to force significant amounts of air into the intake. and about throttle response...i can't see it helping there either only because it seems like it would disrupt the flow of air once the throttle was shut (air would back up the opposite way through the "s/c" causing it to basically stop), so it seems like you'd get a jump once you got back on the throttle, but then it'd die because of the uneven flow. if you got some sort of BOV to fix this, that may work...but i don't think the "s/c" would make enough pressure to open most BOV's as most BOV's use the combination of intakevacuum andboostpressureto open. </P>

</P>

Maybe.. just maybe.. you can work without a BOV, there could be a way of inverting the polarity of the electric superchargher at gear changes thus the supercharger helps to discard the excessive air, but then again, when it is required the supercharger has to start spinning again in it designed rotation, and since it is now going the opposite direction, this might mean that it would create a lag thus making it useless. well.. something to ponder about.</P>

Cheers!</P>
Old 12-25-2003, 07:28 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

with an electric motor if you make it basically stop and go theother directioninstantly from 70+krpm...things probably won't turn out too nice, haha.</P>
Old 12-25-2003, 09:22 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

They actually do make true ones that work with gears and all to increase the speed of the turbine greatly (think a mini-transmission).

However, the only problem is they draw aLOT of electrical power and you usually need 2 MORE batteries and an upgraded alternator. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

That and they cost about 4K for the ones that actually work....
Old 12-25-2003, 09:38 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeep45238
They actually do make true ones that work with gears and all to increase the speed of the turbine greatly (think a mini-transmission).

However, the only problem is they draw aLOT of electrical power and you usually need 2 MORE batteries and an upgraded alternator. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

That and they cost about 4K for the ones that actually work....
</P>

how does that work? does itsomehow attach to the turbo shaft and spool it that way or what?</P><edited><editID>FiveOhNo</editID><editDate>37980.8184143519</editDate></edited>
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Basically. Picture a centrifugal with a motor instead of a pully....which is the same thing as a turbo minus the exhaust half.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:24 PM
iwrxit
4th Gear Member

dont mess with the cheap ones. i know some guys that put one on a crx and it didnt even help that sorry motor. thomas knight turbos actually sells one now that is the real deal. it cost a few g's though. check it out.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM
fsracer

i know this is really old but i would just like to say that the stupid little blower works. im not just saying that to **** everyone off or saying that you should go out and buy one or anything but i have been looking for along time now for something to kick me a little more boost without spending 3-4g but eventualy i will but for now running this on my sixxer and a bbk cold air is freakin awsome i havent run it on a dyno yet but i can deffinetly tell the diffrence its not as small as you think.