Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo Gauges Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Turbo Gauges Question

ORIGINAL: ProCrsh

wow you guys know everything thank you very much. my biggest concern is exactly what androdz said about your jus at a light and something happens i wanna know cause teh turbo was expensive enough so i cant lay out for a motor build yet. thank you again guys, very much. i gotta figure out mounting solution next.

Vinny
The thing is your fuel pressure is always constant and will creep higher sometimes on red lights which is normal. If you see abnormal fuel pressure as in lower than usual or so and keeps like it is a sign of something is wrong and dont floor it untill you check everything.

Andrew
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 PM
txstroker

I just read a good write up on this go to sdsefi.com skroll all the way down click on' tuning via egt vs wide band/narrow band meters' I am putting a vt on my car and was wondering the same.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 PM
txstroker

I am sorry when you skroll down click on 'tech page faq' first then tuning 'via egt vs wide band/narrow band meters'.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:53 PM
ProCrsh
1st Gear Member

thank you txstroker that was a helpful article. i was a little confused at first but the guy futher explains as you go along.

vinny
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Erm most the info on that page is wrong. EGT is not a way to tune the car. You will blow ur engine if u follow those presets about temperature. They are trying to sell you a egt gauge. A EGT gauge is very important specially on turbo cars to see the exhaust temperatures but not to tune the engine. Anything over 12.3-12.5 on a turbo engine and you will prob blow the engine up. There is a reason why almost every tuner in the world tunes by wideband and not egt. N/A I am running 13.5 afr which right at the threshold for our engines. Remember gas engines are a lot like r/c engines they run the hardest when they are about to run out of fuel. The only prob is that on a car engine your temperatures will go up and you might up with some pieces of aluminum in ur muffler if you go to lean lol.

Andrew
Old 12-22-2007, 10:57 PM
txstroker

You no i am in the same boat as procrsh i guess its true that youshould bleve nothing that you hear and half of what you read Thisis how i was going to tune my car put a egt gauge on it strap it on a dyno tune it to make max hp every thang happy see whear the temp is and not go past that on the street.Is this a good way to do it.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:07 AM
ProCrsh
1st Gear Member

im glad we're all learning something about tuning too lol thanks again guys

Vinny
Old 12-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Fobra
Banned

the wideband can help you see if your borderline, or running close to the edge. Some of them have warning systems which may or may not be helpful, however 99% of the time when there is a serious problem the gauge will not be able to warn you fast enough. The gauges are great to have, and may help you but I just thought it was pertinent to mention that the gauges will not save your car, you have to be able to react fast enough/ be lucky enough to shut down in time to prevent serious damage. That said I would get a fuel pressure, A/F, and oil or boost, o
Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Erm most the info on that page is wrong. EGT is not a way to tune the car. You will blow ur engine if u follow those presets about temperature. They are trying to sell you a egt gauge. A EGT gauge is very important specially on turbo cars to see the exhaust temperatures but not to tune the engine. Anything over 12.3-12.5 on a turbo engine and you will prob blow the engine up. There is a reason why almost every tuner in the world tunes by wideband and not egt. N/A I am running 13.5 afr which right at the threshold for our engines. Remember gas engines are a lot like r/c engines they run the hardest when they are about to run out of fuel. The only prob is that on a car engine your temperatures will go up and you might up with some pieces of aluminum in ur muffler if you go to lean lol.

Andrew
ok androdz im calling you out first u try to bash saying that i know nothing cuz i said the a/f wasnt as important as egt, now your saying dont tune with egt, well egt is one way of tuning for the most consistant, working with NHRA teams and NASCAR, i will let you know that they are tuning cars with EGT. EGT is one way of controlling A/F at the same time, they can individually tune each cylinder for a perfect EGT, if the EGT is too hot they add more fuel, too cold they take away fuel, a lean cylinder always runs hot. with the A/f gauge they can only measure each bank individually, yes an EGT setup like this is quite expensive but yet the most accurate way to tune the cars. in a street setup u use both EGT and A/F and using one or the other will get u to a similar place because your are likely to be measuring egts off each bank not individual cylinder, same with A/F
Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moocow_v

ORIGINAL: androdz

Andrew
ok androdz im calling you out first u try to bash saying that i know nothing cuz i said the a/f wasnt as important as egt, now your saying dont tune with egt, well egt is one way of tuning for the most consistant, working with NHRA teams and NASCAR, i will let you know that they are tuning cars with EGT. EGT is one way of controlling A/F at the same time, they can individually tune each cylinder for a perfect EGT, if the EGT is too hot they add more fuel, too cold they take away fuel, a lean cylinder always runs hot. with the A/f gauge they can only measure each bank individually, yes an EGT setup like this is quite expensive but yet the most accurate way to tune the cars. in a street setup u use both EGT and A/F and using one or the other will get u to a similar place because your are likely to be measuring egts off each bank not individual cylinder, same with A/F
I am not saying you are are wrong I am saying most of that page is wrong. So you are telling me nhra teams tune their cars? You must be in outlaw 10.5 or some class like that which have little national sponsorship compared with the funny/top fuel cars. Because those cars cannot be dyno'd whatsoever. You tune with A/F and you use the EGT as a data entry while you are tunning. A/F is pherhaps the single most important measure that you have while you tune your car. You can tune a Car with a/f alone but you can't really tune a car without a/f and just egt. You wont run where are you running; you can make some fine touches on a map that you already have but you can't make a map from scratch with just egt's. You will blow your engine first if anything.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Turbo Gauges Question