Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo or Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Charger?

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

one other benefit of turbo is you can have 2 of them.
Single Turbo=More Power
And there is a noticable difference in power loss from a Turbo and S/C
Believe in January's MM&FF they tested each form of boost(except nitrous) on an 03 Cobra.
All running around the same boost levels.
The turbo took the cake, BY FAR around 120+ more ponies from like 14psi?
Can't remember exactly, but if you really care to know I'll look at the mag for ya and post the #'s
Old 04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Single Turbo=More Power
Believe in January's MM&FF they tested each form of boost(except nitrous) on an 03 Cobra.
Can't remember exactly, but if you really care to know I'll look at the mag for ya and post the #'s
So a single turbo on a V8 gives more power than dual turbos? Do you just leave the other side of the exhaust un turboed, or is there something you have to do to balance the pressure?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

with 5 psi on an intercooled turbo you will make more power than with an 8 psi intercooled supercharger. and turbo lag is now myth thanks to technology. go with the turbo and whoop up on every one. i wouldgo with 3.73 gears as well as a higher stall torque converter
Old 04-03-2005, 01:27 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Yea, MM&FF had a twin turbo setup vs vortech vs kenne bell, and turbo put down most power. YinYang- if you run a single turbo on a V8 you have a crossover pipe which connects the 2 headers, so only 1 pipe is feeding the turbo. 3.73s may be alright with an automatic, but nothing higher on a turbo setup, or you'll find urself running out of gear.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

With stock engine internals there is zero reason to do turbos. Period.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

people talk a lot about the parisitic loss of superchargers. i.e. the loss of power that it takes to turn the screws. but the fact remains that the power you're losing is so minimal, maybe 5 horse, compared to the horsepower you can gain. kenne bell makes a kit specifically for the '96-'04 GT 4.6 that'll give you an extra 262hp for a total of 507. turbo or supercharger? pretty much moot. you get about the same effect from both. anymore the difference is minor.
A loss of 5 hp from a supercharger? lol, You may want to check your references again.

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang
ORIGINAL: Obsol3te
Single Turbo=More Power
So a single turbo on a V8 gives more power than dual turbos? Do you just leave the other side of the exhaust un turboed, or is there something you have to do to balance the pressure?
It's not the way you would think it is. A large single turbo will produce about the same as two smaller turbochargers, but a large single is more efficient & will create less heat. Two turbos are better on a high boost application. The main thing that makes twin turbos very good is header design. On a twin bank engine (ie v8, v6, flat 4, ect...) it is easy to design very good flowing headers. & headers play a BIG role in turbocharger power.

ORIGINAL: matthockey32
with 5 psi on an intercooled turbo you will make more power than with an 8 psi intercooled supercharger. and turbo lag is now myth thanks to technology. go with the turbo and whoop up on every one. i wouldgo with 3.73 gears as well as a higher stall torque converter
Lag is still very much here. It is far from being gone. Want proof? Find someone with a turbocharged car get in, put it in 4th gear, get to 3000rpm cruising, then push the gas all the way down. It takes a little bit for the turbos to spool & get the pressure into the cylinders. At 3000rpm it should only take about .8 of a second. It depends on the turbocharger size. The farther up in rpm you are the less lag there is, around 5000rpm you will only have around .3 seconds lag. If there was no lag a twin screw supercharged car wouldn't jump ahead of a turbocharged car when going from a roll.

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4
With stock engine internals there is zero reason to do turbos. Period.
I ran a constant 10psi on stock internals on my twin turbo '96 Probe GT. It never broke during the 6 months I had it... well nothing due to the turbochargers. I did blow one of the clamps off of the intake plumbing, but it just required me to put it back on & tighten it.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Turbocharged

Link to Turbos vs Blowers discussion:

Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 PM
StangGT804
I ♥ Acer

How much psi are you running if you have a turbo kit? I kno for kb its 9psi which is the limit for your engine without the changed internals.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:39 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbocharged

Link to Turbos vs Blowers discussion:

you should change that to a link to Turbos vs Blowers discussion, as discussed by a company that only sells turbos and is really just a propaganda page/advertisement for thier business.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
2001 GT
1st Gear Member

An automatic works well with a turbo in that you don't lose all your boost pressure between shifts and you can build boost off the line by power braking. So you really shouldn't worry about having an auto. I also wouldn't worry about turbo lag at all on an engine that size. Its your call. Supercharger seems to be the popular and easy bolt-on solution for N/A cars. Turbos themsleves are quite cheap and can be upgraded and have boost levels changed very easily. Though having the ability to raise your boost levelst by a flick of a dial can tempt you to push levels higher then you should.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Charger?