Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo or Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default Turbo or Charger?

I have a 01 GT automatic, and I was wondering what would be best to put on there...turbo or charger? With either one, what kits does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

John
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Charger?

...what about a turbocharger??? jp, if you've got the money/knowledge...i'd go turbo. but the supercharger seems to be the "go-to man" for everyone who doesn't feel like messing with the turbo.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:18 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

I would go with the supercharger. Turbo lag on a large motor like the 4.6 would kill you on the launch. You would have excellent high end return, but you could expect some terrible 0-60 times (relatively speaking). Superchargers give a much smoother power gain on large engines. besides that, the kits for twin turbos are crazy expensive. youll need alot more parts than just turbos and exhaust, and the engine bay of the 4.6 doesnt leave much room for any extra parts (installing headers on mine was bad enough, i would probably shoot myself trying to fit turbos in there as well). Besides, you can get plenty of boost with a supercharger. The Procharger F-2M pushes 28 psi. the Evo only pushes 18.8, and that is considered high boost.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
cxixer

much smoother power gain on large engines. besides that, the kits for twin turbos are crazy expensive. youll need alot more parts than just turbos and exhaust, and the engine bay of the 4.6 doesnt leave much room for any extra parts (installing headers on mine was bad enough, i would probably shoot myself
I'm going to disagree. Turbo lag is more or less a thing of the past. Ball bearing turbos spool up fast enough. Get a high stall torque converter and poof, no more lag. Or if you're in a manual, rev a little higher, get some slicks! Superchargers take power away from the engine, it takes power to turn them, turbos use to have a lot of backpressure, but again, the ball bearings helped out a lot. But yeah, it is a lot of money, and more times than not requires more knowledge, but who says the easy way is the better way?

And I'm not defending ricers, but there IS a reason they put turbo cars in a class by themselves at the track. It's because they kept beating all the heads up supercharged guys.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

So does it really matter that I have an auto, not a manual?

John
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 PM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

No it doesn't, if you are going to the track alot than the automatic is preffered by many racers, you times should always be consistant. Also if you do either supercharger or turbo, then get about a 2800-3200 stall converter and you will launch like crazy and have a great 60ft time.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

I would go with the supercharger. Turbo lag on a large motor like the 4.6 would kill you on the launch. You would have excellent high end return, but you could expect some terrible 0-60 times (relatively speaking). Superchargers give a much smoother power gain on large engines. besides that, the kits for twin turbos are crazy expensive. youll need alot more parts than just turbos and exhaust, and the engine bay of the 4.6 doesnt leave much room for any extra parts (installing headers on mine was bad enough, i would probably shoot myself trying to fit turbos in there as well). Besides, you can get plenty of boost with a supercharger. The Procharger F-2M pushes 28 psi. the Evo only pushes 18.8, and that is considered high boost.
Did you know with a turbocharger on your engine your power below boost threshold remains almost the exact same? Meaning that your takeoff from 800rpm to the rpm you get boost remains the same as when you were N/A. How long does it take you to reach 2500rpm in first gear? My car took about .5 seconds meaning I would not have the power from the turbocharger for the first .5 seconds
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

people talk a lot about the parisitic loss of superchargers. i.e. the loss of power that it takes to turn the screws. but the fact remains that the power you're losing is so minimal, maybe 5 horse, compared to the horsepower you can gain. kenne bell makes a kit specifically for the '96-'04 GT 4.6 that'll give you an extra 262hp for a total of 507. turbo or supercharger? pretty much moot. you get about the same effect from both. anymore the difference is minor.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

one other benefit of turbo is you can have 2 of them.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Or you can get a kenne bell. KENNE BELL!

Quick Reply: Turbo or Charger?