Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

pros and cons of nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: pros and cons of nitrous

ORIGINAL: whitelightning5.0

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse

Nitrous is expensive as hell where I live. Cost me $50 to fill a 10lb bottle. Sad thing is, one bottle will only last 12-15 quarter mile passes. If you do the math, $50/12=$4.17 $50/15=$3.33. Each time you make that lovely pass down the 1/4th mile you just spent another 3 to 4 bucks. Much better off getting a permanent power adder.
so then quit bitching,sell me your nitrous kit{as long as it aint a junk zex kit} and go buy a blower

then what is going to be your excuse when you get it handed to you by a nitrous car?
Sold the nitrous kit along time ago bud. It was a NOS kit with bottle heater, blanket, and opener. As a matter of fact, I do have a blower sitting on my car right now as well. Much nicer to not have my wallet depleeted everytime I want to just punch it and feel the power.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

Nitrous is expensive as hell where I live. Cost me $50 to fill a 10lb bottle. Sad thing is, one bottle will only last 12-15 quarter mile passes. If you do the math, $50/12=$4.17 $50/15=$3.33. Each time you make that lovely pass down the 1/4th mile you just spent another 3 to 4 bucks. Much better off getting a permanent power adder.
so then quit bitching,sell me your nitrous kit{as long as it aint a junk zex kit} and go buy a blower

then what is going to be your excuse when you get it handed to you by a nitrous car?
Sold the nitrous kit along time ago bud. It was a NOS kit with bottle heater, blanket, and opener. As a matter of fact, I do have a blower sitting on my car right now as well. Much nicer to not have my wallet depleeted everytime I want to just punch it and feel the power.
my LX has never been beaten by a blower car,for that fact...even the turbo car's have a hard time.

to each his own but,id rather have the nitrous,dollar per dollar,its cheaper ANY way you look at it,and a blower cant even begin to compare.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Might be cheaper initially, depends what car your looking at. Definately not cheaper in the long run. A nice nitrous kit with all your needed accessories can run 1,000+, you can find a used blower kit for 1500-2000.

Nitrous isn't some magical power maker. Power is power, not matter how you make it. Just because you beat a few guys running around with a turbo or supercharger does not mean your going to beat all of them. Just don't caught around town with a empty bottle.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

Might be cheaper initially, depends what car your looking at. Definately not cheaper in the long run. A nice nitrous kit with all your needed accessories can run 1,000+, you can find a used blower kit for 1500-2000.

Nitrous isn't some magical power maker. Power is power, not matter how you make it. Just because you beat a few guys running around with a turbo or supercharger does not mean your going to beat all of them. Just don't caught around town with a empty bottle.
not really...

a blower wont make the low end torque that nitrous does,thats why nitrous is so popular,plain and simple.

first of all,i would never buy a used blower,just like i would never really put a used nitrous kit on my vehicle,id rather have the peice of mind knowing that its never been f'd around with,or mis used.

so in that aspect...most blowers run around 3 grand-6 grand,yeah...ill take the nitrous any day.i dont rely on nitrous in my fox to make HP,its just a fun adder,nothing better then putting the car OTB
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

not really...

a blower wont make the low end torque that nitrous does,thats why nitrous is so popular,plain and simple.

first of all,i would never buy a used blower,just like i would never really put a used nitrous kit on my vehicle,id rather have the peice of mind knowing that its never been f'd around with,or mis used.

so in that aspect...most blowers run around 3 grand-6 grand,yeah...ill take the nitrous any day.i dont rely on nitrous in my fox to make HP,its just a fun adder,nothing better then putting the car OTB
Not true at all. It would all depend on the type of blower you went with. You can get blowers that provide tons of low end torque as well. For a turbo, a properly sized turbo can provide a lot of low end torque too. Torque don't win all races either.

If your paying between 3-6 grand for a blower, you over paid. You can get a tuner kit for a fox for a little over 2k, brand new. Nitrous is so popular simply because of it's cheaper initial price. I guarantee if a turbo/supercharger kit was the same price as a nitrous kit, 99% of people would not go the nitrous route. It is very easy to go through $600+ in nitrous refills a year. If you add that to your initial cost of the kit, you will have paid for a blower setup in about 2 years time. If you're like I was with the nitrous, you'll pay for it a lot sooner! Nitrous is very addicting.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

not really...

Not true at all. It would all depend on the type of blower you went with. You can get blowers that provide tons of low end torque as well. For a turbo, a properly sized turbo can provide a lot of low end torque too. Torque don't win all races either.

If your paying between 3-6 grand for a blower, you over paid. You can get a tuner kit for a fox for a little over 2k, brand new. Nitrous is so popular simply because of it's cheaper initial price. I guarantee if a turbo/supercharger kit was the same price as a nitrous kit, 99% of people would not go the nitrous route. It is very easy to go through $600+ in nitrous refills a year. If you add that to your initial cost of the kit, you will have paid for a blower setup in about 2 years time. If you're like I was with the nitrous, you'll pay for it a lot sooner! Nitrous is very addicting.
what exactly is a "tuner" supercharger kit...for a little over 2 grand?

look at the hp/tq curve of a supercharged/turbo motor...then look at one spraying roughly the same amount of nitrous...

torque doesnt win races? the only time that is true on a level playing field,is if you cant put the power down,most races are won within the 60ft mark{given evenly matched vehicles} and...torque will win everytime,again...asuming you can GET it to the ground.

i dont look at a nitrous refill any different from when im putting gas in my car...it all costs money,no matter what,ive never factored in a nitrous refill really as a drawback to nitrous...i only have said it simply because alot of people really do consider it a drawback.

ive had nitrous vehicles my entire driving history...so yeah...id say im pretty hooked on it.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

what exactly is a "tuner" supercharger kit...for a little over 2 grand?
It is a kit that cuts out all the crap you don't need like the FMU, Trex and such. I was actually wrong on the price, you can get them for $1800-2000 new. The full kit starts new at $2200 bucks.

look at the hp/tq curve of a supercharged/turbo motor...then look at one spraying roughly the same amount of nitrous...
Ever seen the Dyno sheet of a Kenny Bell or other roots/twinscrew style blower? They'll always make more torque then HP and it all comes in around 2k rpms. Alot like a Nitrous car.

torque doesnt win races? the only time that is true on a level playing field,is if you cant put the power down,most races are won within the 60ft mark{given evenly matched vehicles} and...torque will win everytime,again...asuming you can GET it to the ground.
That is very true, no power is any good without traction. Torque Vs. HP, it depends on the race, how big the difference is, etc. Torque will certainly get you the jump, but if the race is long enough, the HP car will catch up to you. It's really hard to compare these, every car is different.

i dont look at a nitrous refill any different from when im putting gas in my car...it all costs money,no matter what,ive never factored in a nitrous refill really as a drawback to nitrous...i only have said it simply because alot of people really do consider it a drawback.

ive had nitrous vehicles my entire driving history...so yeah...id say im pretty hooked on it.
Well, if nitrous was a necessity for every car to run, I would agree with you. Hell, even if it was a little cheaper. The crap gets expensive after awhile. Just think, every pass you make down the track, that's another nacho's and cheese or burger and fries you could have had at the concession stand. lol

Every power adder has it's advantages/disadvantages. Nitrous is the only one that has disadvantages that the others don't have.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
2002silvergt
1st Gear Member

the pros of nitrous are having the torque with nothing but activating the solenoids....cons are that it costs 45 bucks to refill a 10lb bottle....It is ok to run up to a 100shot on a stock 4.6 with stock fuel pump....as far as boost goes...its better having the power all the time and not having to pay for it in the long run....nitrous is very expensive for 99-04 2v's...unless you shortcut it...a wet kit with purge and tune could easily run you 1000dollars....and a bottle heater is a must...i live in mississippi and it never gets extremely cold...everytime i tried shooting mine, i coudlnt get above 600-700psi out of it...bottle heaters dont cost much though....and another thing like somebody had posted above...zex is not crap..they are the safest kit around...however, theyre hp rating are not actual rwhp #s....so just keep that in mind...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

what part of ms do u live in?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
2002silvergt
1st Gear Member

byram/raymond

Quick Reply: pros and cons of nitrous