Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

STS Universal: Anyone run one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Default STS Universal: Anyone run one?

So i've been looking over the STS Universal kit as an option for my Mach. I really wanna go FI in the future, and in order to make some big power, I figured the turbo would be the way to go. I can get my fuel system via ebay and relatively cheap overall, and a local shop says they can run all the piping. I also have a reputable tuner that I would trust tuning the car.

Thoughts? Or is it worth the extra $2-3k to go with a Hellion?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: STS Universal: Anyone run one?

I have an STS and love it, but I beleive there asome issues with room in the rear of the "new edge" body style. How much do you think the Universal will cost you?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

I can imagine spending around 4.5-5k for the whole thing assembled and tuned. But now i'm hearing the same thing from a bunch of different sources: bad idea on a new edge. Oh well. I just can't seem to find a normal single turbo via HPP, and Hellion is Bassani, so the price is outrageous from them as well. The twin kit from HPP is not much more than what Hellion wants!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You are finding out that turbos are generally more expensive than SCs. For your car you definately have more SC options vs. turbo, but I feel a turbo offers so much more. It's my opinion but it's shared by many. I could hvae purchased a whipple or kenne bell for my car but I choose the turbo. Igives me room to grow and also gives me the option for more power at the turn of a dial if my motor can hold it.

When you decide to make your purchase, remember these two things and apply it to all the purchases in your life.

1. Cheap things cost too much.

By high quality name brand items for your car.

2. Price paid will be long forgotten after satisfaction of purchase.

Don't skimp on a purchase of this size! Get EXACTLY what YOU want. Not what someonelse wants or suggests. This purchase and build ismeant to satisfy one person and one person only, YOU! If you are short on cash now, wait until you have the amount of money you need to get it done right. Don't get something and think to yourself, If I had only waited a little longer I could have gotten this.

~$6500 for a very complete twin turbo kit is a good price.

You cold buy that kit and wait to build your motor and never need to upgrade the turbos and still be @700+ rwhp.

JMO
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Fobra
Banned

7k is a complete rip off, you can have a turbo shop make an equal system for 30-40% less. that will include installation
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 AM
1996stang

The STS single turbo universal kit without the fuelpump and injectors is $1695 brand new, and you could shoot for some respectful numbers and the turbo is good for 650hp so you have room to grow until that point. I would just stick with the STS its alot cheaper and if you tune right/add a few more boltons and have equal perfomance to the hellion kit
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

with hellion you get nothing but the best. the kit fits like oem. turbonetics turbo and wastegate, full stainless piping, chrome underhood piping, everything. it comes with everything down to the last nut and bolt you need to install the kit. even comes with owners manual, certificate, and special copper based spark plug anti sieze to use. its worth the money. you pay the money once and forget about it. no worries of welds coming apart, or somthing wasnt fitted correctly, or any of that. its on, done, tuned, and enjoy
Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I have no problem going the cheap or used route as long as quality is good. Some off brand parts are better than name brand & some good used parts will outlast some name brand new parts. Name isn't everything. I've only got about $1300 in my truck (including truck cost & standalone) going mostly the used route & I'd put the reliability of the turbo against most people's brand new garrett turbos.
To put it an easier way. If you research a lot and can fabricate it's going to cost a lot less.
I wouldn't go as far as saying the turbo offers more. They have upsides & they have downsides, it's what the person wants. Personally I prefer the feel of positive displacement superchargers, but I favor turbo due to the power output. I think positive displacement cars are more fun to drive in comparison.

6500-7k sounds about normal for kit cost. Building it yourself with all new/name brand parts, when done would cost you around $4-5k.

As for the universal, It would depend on the material for me. For example; some people use stainless for their headers, I wouldn't pick stainless over coated mild & I won't run under .1 wall thickness on the headers.

In my opinion; if you haven't had experience, go with the assembled route. My first turbo kit took me about a month to complete. I had to contact a kit builder in Florida many times with lots of questions. Now that they've become a lot more popular you shouldn't have much issue asking questions on forums though. Still I'd be prepared for it to take 1-2 months if you can fabricate & afford everything. I would go for it if i had a spare car just for the experience if you want to learn more about them.

Last edited by FoxGT; 11-29-2009 at 07:32 PM.